E1L vs. E1B

generic808

Enlightened
Very similar lights in the same price range, but which one do you prefer? I normally carry a 6P lego but when I pack "light" (no pun intended), I usually carry an old beater Fenix P1 because of its size and weight; however, I'm looking for a new small light and I'm partial to Surefire so, E1L or E1B?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
What level of light will you be using more -- dim or bright?

I opted for the E1L because I need the brighter output more than the dimmer level and the E1L provides several hours runtime at 45 lumens. I would have to replace the battery on an E1B much more frequently.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the E1B's body and bezel-down clip. But I like the low coming on first...so I put the KX2-BK on my E1B and get the best of both worlds...plus, I can use 1 RCR123 3.7 v battery in it. Toss in a knurled E1e-BK tailcap for extra grip...the perfect EDC! Yay!

e1b_kx2_e1e_tail.jpg

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix P1 is smaller than the E1L or E1B. I just got a KX1 from a fellow CPFer. A nice white tint. It is a single stage. I think my model outputs 30 lumens for about 5 regulated hours. The shape takes some getting used to, its very top heavy. But it is a great travel and or trail light.

I don't have a E1B so I can't comment.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I am hiking or backpacking, I prefer my lights to come on low first and then on high. When I use a flashlight throughout the course of a day, I prefer the light to come on at high first and then on low.

I have both lights, and of the 2, I cannot see significant differences in the throw of the E1L and the E1B. The E1B does have a bit more spill from the optic but not enough to justify the shorter run-time for me

So if I was only to buy one, I would buy the E1L over the E1B. I just wish that I could get it in black.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if I was only to buy one, I would buy the E1L over the E1B. I just wish that I could get it in black.

Well, you can LEGO one in black...again, KX2-BK head and E1e-BK body (added the reverse clip for kicks)

e1l-bk.jpg

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the runtime of the KX2 head on a single RCR123 like? Also, does it run on rechargeables?

Your set up looks super sharp!

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the runtime of the KX2 head on a single RCR123 like? Also, does it run on rechargeables?

Your set up looks super sharp!

The KX2 won't power up with 1 regular primary...but if you use a rechargeable RCR123 3.7 volt, you'll get about 50 minutes on high and probably a day on low.

Black sure is pretty, isn't it?

And then there's also this setup...I call it the E1B "Classic"...E1B head & E1e-BK body/tail

e1b_e1e-bk.jpg

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast

:twothumbs

Yes it is!

I am liking the Ra Twisty / Surefire E1L combination for hiking. I set my Ra on high to what looks like 60 lumens, on medium to 10 lumens and on low to what looks like 2 to 3 lumens.

The E1L compliments this nicely if I need some extra throw.

I just wish that both lights were the same color... preferably black.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Often wondered about this pair....good perspective.And both heads fit various legos.Maybe a massaged head from milky would be the ticket.

michelkenny

Newly Enlightened
I EDC the new E1L and love it. If you don't need a crazy bright high, want long runtimes and the light starting at low then that's the E1L. If you want a super bright high and the light to start on high then that's the E1B.

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
The KX2 won't power up with 1 regular primary...but if you use a rechargeable RCR123 3.7 volt, you'll get about 50 minutes on high and probably a day on low.

And then there's also this setup...I call it the E1B "Classic"...E1B head & E1e-BK body/tail

Does that really work anything close to an E1B?

warpdrive

Enlightened
After much thought, I think I am going to buy a E1B to replace my E1L as a EDC

I find the E1L doesn't get much use, because I really dislike twisting to keep the light on, most of the time I need light for 20 seconds at a time, and I prefer not to have to keep my thumb on it. For pocket use, I really need a smoother body that doesn't snag on my clothes.

I would have preferred that the low come on first on the E1B tho

SureAddicted

Enlightened
If you want something smaller, brighter and wont tear up your clothes, get the E1B. Personally I'd never buy a light that came on low first, but thats just me. Some people say that they cant see a difference in throw or brightness, LOL, 45 lumens compared to 80 lumens, you can make up your own mind. All I can say is what a load of crock.

Some people report that the E2DL throws slightly more than the E1B, same optics, and now the E1B and E1L are meant to be similar, again with the same optics? As you can see a lot of inconsistencies.

Steve

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the E1L doesn't get much use, because I really dislike twisting to keep the light on, most of the time I need light for 20 seconds at a time, and I prefer not to have to keep my thumb on it.

Did you confuse the E1L with the L1? The L1 requires a twist for constant light. The E1L uses a latching pushbutton like the E1B.

alibaba

Enlightened
I tested both at a local dealer and went home with the E1B. I found the low mode on the E1L to be just a bit too low while the E1B's low is all that I'll need for the majority of uses while keeping a super long runtime. The high level is quite a bit brighter as well and I like that it comes on first. The E1B is my "tactical" light when my GF and I go for a walk so it must start out on high. If I need low and want to keep a low profile I simply put the bezel against my leg while I do a quick double-tap............... not that hard. Add to that the superior clip (which you can probably buy separate for the E1L) and the E1B is, IMO, the more useful light. If you'll need more than 5 lumens most of the time then the E1L, with it's 4 hour runtime on high, might be a better choice. The only thing that I wish my E1B had is a twist-type tailcap like the SF L1. If anyone has a twisty tailcap that fits the E-series PM me and let me know how much you want for it!

SureAddicted

Enlightened
The only thing that I wish my E1B had is a twist-type tailcap like the SF L1.

Funny you mention that. My E1B tailcap is like a twisty and clicky in one. Its a clicky like all other E1B's, but when you twist the tailcap past the lockout it turns on, tighten it a bit then unscrew it again for low. Its a malfunction with the tc, but it does work like a twisty as well.

Steve

bigfoot

Enlightened
Or, you just could buy both!!

Good point. I have both and find myself using the E1L (w/KX1 dual-output) for the mundane stuff, with the E1B for those times I don't want to wear holes in all my clothes.

I think ultimately I will pair up my E1L and G2 (soon to have a P60L) for outdoors activities; camping, hiking, etc. My 6PL and E1B will be kept around for any bumps in the night.

Latest posts