Malkoff        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for dual LED lighting for my bike

Default looking for dual LED lighting for my bike

I'm starting to ride my bike on longer routes after work and end up racing the sun home. I'm looking to spend about $100 total for mounts ($16 from Fenix), lights and chargers. I'd like each light to be 150+ lumen, under 100grams each, 90 min runtime and less then 6" long. I don't care what battery are since I have to buy new chargers anyways. I need a light that has a good throw, I like to ride my bike at 20-25mph on the flats

My orignal plan was to get two Fenix L2D but that will run $145 with mounts + get some decent battery for them.

I was thinking of running two Eastwards JY series but they are a bit heavier then I'd like but I hear they have a good throw to them. So might be a trade off.

I like the size of the ultrafire EMR1 but not sure if it has enough throw for me though.

I don't know much about lights, so looking at hundreds of different lights are confusing a lil.

Super Moderator

Default Re: looking for dual LED lighting for my bike

Welcome to CPF, boostedmiata.

I'll move your thread into the bicycle section, where you will find other brightly-illuminated 2-wheeled persons and plenty of related advice.
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic*

I wouldn't recommend the eastward YJ's. There are at least 2 reports of the LED's used by them going bad- while MTBing you need reliability.

The 900 lumen P7 lights are getting a good press ATM for biking, and you'd only need one then. However, they're fairly heavy, though that's the only way IMO you're going to stay under $100 with enough light.

$100 is a VERY tight budget for bike lights. Are you looking for off road or road? (Or a mix).

Are you looking to helmet mount one of the lights?

The fenix bar mount got a bum review and so cannot be recomended ...

Flashaholic

I'd consider the 5 mode P7, if I were starting from scratch. I'm hoping for P7 modules to upgrade my existing lights but they aren't around, yet.

I run a pair of TrustFire T1 using Broloch's mount idea and they work very, very well. The total cost would be around $100 with batteries, charger, lights, and mounts.

They throw a lot of light. I off-road with them and they do fine.

TrustFire T1: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10659

Broloch's mount: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=196924

Notes:

- some of my T1 lights (I have about a dozen of them) are not machined properly and the lens is loose. I don't run those lights on my bike. Most are fine but there are some minor quality control issues.

- Most of my lights were not very bright upon arrival. By taking them apart, tightening all internal connections (specifically threading in the module), they are all identically bright now. It doesn't take long but it is something to be aware of.

- I remove the clip for easier mounting.

- Run time with these lights is over 10 hours. At 10.5 hours, the lights are not as bright as a light with fresh batteries, but they are still plenty good enough to ride with them.

Saw a P7 video on youtube, looks really good. If one of those lights are bright enough I wouldn't need to run dual setup and twice the weight. I mostly roadbike, but do ride in the dirt as well. Won't ride MTB at night until the time changes though. I was thinking I'd have to run dual lights on the bars, one pointed father up about 30 and one about 20 ft in front of the bike, but a P7 looks like it might do the job and have to get one. Which will put me in my budget. And it's the same weight as a EJ so I can possibly add another if needed.

I don't want alot of weigt because it added to the front of the bike and I'd feel it when I climb and rock the bike off the saddle. Most of my after work rides are 45-50 miles with over 5k ft of gain and we've been averaging a 3hr ride time.

I can't run the fenix made bike mount since I have oversized bars but was going to use a fishblock mount from them. I like the Broloch's mounts too.

Another for the Fenix mounts. They are the only Fenix product that I've not liked. There "big" and rattle. I epoxied mine to stop the rattle but was still left with a large ugly mount. The fishblocks are better and the Kaidomain mount is my current favourite but won't suit oversized bars. Can't say much re lights as I've made all of mine with the exception of the J3P in a recent post in this section.

the bars on the roadie are both oversized and winged (flat top) so I think nothing will be better then velcro fishblock. The bars on the MTB are standard size.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBrown View Post
    I'd consider the 5 mode P7, if I were starting from scratch. I'm hoping for P7 modules to upgrade my existing lights but they aren't around, yet.
    do you know if the 8 mode C bin is the same as the 5 mode as far as light and throw? The 5 mode is on backorder with no date listed but the 8 mode ships on the 10th so I'm not sure if that is it's first release date.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13060 8 mode
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060 5 mode

here

http://search.performancebike.com/se...&slitrk=schamp

twin head, each one supossedly give out 85 lumens. Or save a few dollars and just get the Light and Motion HID. I just got back from my second time riding at night with it.. Plenty of light to see and TO BEE SEEN. ebay is great

by the way i saw the blackburn lights i posted on sale somewhere for $95 on the net
    SLPP 4 AA LUX; AT-100 10 LED; ARC AAA P; photon 1;Pewter 2C M@G with LED drop in; NEXTORCH Saint HID; SF E1B; RR 2AAA headlight; Vector 1 MIL CP spotlight: Q-Beam 2 Mil CP spotlight ;Sams HID; L2D RB 100; 6P

Flashaholic

try the scolo. for a little over a hundred you can get two the mounts and then make some battery packs for them. there a little spotty but I like them.
    What we have here is a failure to illuminate.

i really dont' want to run a battery pack hence the use of a flashlight.

You can always try AyUp :
    http://www.ayup.com.au/specs.php
    Light-Test.info - bike light’s & Headlamps comparison site. - In polish but picture says everything
    Light-Test.info Facebook Fanpage - get in touch or check my latest work.

Quote Originally Posted by Szemhazai View Post
    You can always try AyUp :
    http://www.ayup.com.au/specs.php
    You beat me to it - I found that place just yesterday. Their lights look interesting.

I pulled the trigger and got this
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12623

Flashaholic*

2 Fenix L2T and a 3 pack of Twofish lockblocks (it'd be only 99 cents more than 2) will be about 104 with cpf8 discount.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by 1 what View Post
    the Kaidomain mount is my current favourite
    Which one are you talking about? One of these:
    http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Produ...px?TranID=4336
    http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Produ...px?TranID=4130
    http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Produ...spx?TranID=792 ?
    Last edited by Cemoi; 06-16-2008 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by defloyd77 View Post
    2 Fenix L2T and a 3 pack of Twofish lockblocks (it'd be only 99 cents more than 2) will be about 104 with cpf8 discount.
    I spent 70 bucks total, got a new P7 8 mode, bats and charger and went with this mount http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000 I'll modify it to fit on the bars so should be good to go. It shipped last Friday so I won't get it for another week or so I'm guessing.

We'll see if I can ride 20-25mph with this light

got my P7 light in last night, holy crap it's bright. Giant flood with good amount of throw. I only did a 15 minute ride around the naborhood at 10pm last night. No camera last night. I'll try to take some pics tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by boostedmiata View Post
    I spent 70 bucks total, got a new P7 8 mode, bats and charger and went with this mount http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000 I'll modify it to fit on the bars so should be good to go.
    Nice find, I hadn't seen that mount yet. One thing I noticed is that it puts the light parallel to the bar on which it's mounted, which is good for mounting on a stem or a helmet. If you're not already aware, the Twofish Lockblock allows the perpendicular mounting that's natural to handlebars.

Yah I knew about the fishblocks, I was gonna use those if I went with the Fenix lights. But I found those other ones for half the price on DX so was easy to add to the order I modified one of them to look like a fishblock and the other will remain stock in case I want to helmet mounts a light. I used a band saw to cut off the small curve side flat, belt sand flush, then use the bench grinder with vitrified wheel to carve the groove for the handle bar. I used a X-acto knife to cut new slots into the block for the strap to feed through. Budget fishblock

I went out for a 40 mile ride earlier but started about 6:30, didn't get home til almost 9:30pm But damn it was fun testing out the new light. I can cruise at 18-20MPH with the slow strobe which gives high power. The faster strobe is nice with Med mode lighting but I fear it might cause bad things for on coming cars. The Med mode is great for climbing at slow speeds or more city lighting where you don't need 100% of the light. High mode was simply awesome. I tried to out run this light and couldn't on the flats. I got it close to 30mph on the flats and still had more room for speed. I went downhill I normally do at 32-35mph and did it at normal speed with this light
    now for the pictures

Medium mode

High mode

bush about 15ft away.

boostedmiata, thats very nice but to post in this thread you need to strap two of those on, dual leds only please.

Seriously, the beam looks fantastic.

Looks good, glad you like it! Nice pics.

Well I was going to do a self build around the P7 - but it doesn't seem to make sense if I can buy this light for about the same cost.

Couple of questions if I may.

What is the light tint like - any trend towards purple?
    How hot does it get on high - can it run high continuously?
    Have you checked the battery life on high?

Thanks muchly.

I had thought about building as well, but for $45 you get a working unit. If the run times ever bother me, I might drill holes into the tube and wire it to an external battery from batteryspace.com

The bats are still charging, the charger I got is SLOW, but what can I expect for $10 charger. I plan to do some run time test while here at work. I'll use a small desk fan to cool the light.

While riding, the light was cold, never warmed or anything. Even when I was climbing at 8-10mph was still cold on high mode.

I spent 70 bucks total, got a new P7 8 mode, bats and charger and went with this mount http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000
    Wow, those things look a lot like TwoFish Bikeblocks...only less expensive. (And the wrong orientation for easy handlebar mounting, since they run parallel...for handlebar, the perpendicular TwoFish Lockblocks have the correct orientation for immediate mounting...as FrontRanger already mentioned.)

I went with the dual Fenix L2D and Lockblock combination (um, if it's not obvious... ).

With my particular helmet, I use a Bikeblock for a third L2D (some helmets would call for something with the Lockblock orientation).

I modified one of them to look like a fishblock and the other will remain stock in case I want to helmet mounts a light. I used a band saw to cut off the small curve side flat, belt sand flush, then use the bench grinder with vitrified wheel to carve the groove for the handle bar. I used a X-acto knife to cut new slots into the block for the strap to feed through. Budget fishblock
    Yikes...seems like that might have been quite a bit of effort for the $3 to $4 savings, even though I do realize it's fun to play with modifications like that.

But, in this case my vote would have been to buy the Lockblocks (in a three-pack) since they are already manufactured/molded to proper shape for handlebar use -- if for nothing else than to buy something that already has the intended design integrity without the extra cutting, grinding, sanding, and slicing. Just my take on it, though.

You ought to try a helmet mount light, too, if you ever get the chance -- just to see how you like it combined with the handlebar mounted light. Helmet lights are great for cornering and such, and also can't be beat when you want to look at something off to the side of your direct route. I think once you try the combination of handlebar mount light with helmet light, you'll find that handlebar light by itself is often too restricting on your vision when you want to look anywhere but mostly straight ahead or minimally into the periphery.

That light you got looks pretty dang bright, though. Looks like it might have been a very good buy (output-wise) from the photos. Pretty cool...

The company I work for designs and builds rackmount computers. We have a lil machine shop with a 3 axis mill, band saw, belt sander, drill press ect ect. So modding the mount only took a few seconds on each machine. The most time comsuming part was cutting in the extra slots. But that was still less then 5 minutes. Worked for me, and I didn't have to order from two different sites which was the biggest bonus comapired to the $$ saved.

The stock mount I have left will be for the helmet when I go for a MTB ride. Will have to try that out one of these days.

And yes its bright and best part my riding speed isn't limited from the light.

Ahh, I got it. Nice to have that kind of equipment readily available.

Hope you get to try out a helmet light at some point in the near future, too. I'm thinking that you'll like it, as long as you find a good light for helmet use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast