Peter, have you considered an ARC AAA Luxeon STAR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The post says it all.

We already know that you can drive a ARC LS with 1 AA in earlier models.

And we know that the LS led is pretty small.

And now, there are at least two people making keychain sized mod's of the LS led.

So, can we expect to see a Luxeon Star sitting on top of an ARC AAA sometime in the future?

Now I realise that, to be the same size as an AAA, it could not have the optics, but that is ok, I would think that your current reflector on the AAA would work on a LS.

Maybe one of those tiny optics I have seen sitting on top of some of the 5 watt LED's. Maybe a clear epoxy poured over the LED?

And you have already worked out all the specifics of the physical AAA body. AND,, I would think that the body of the ARC would be a viable heat sink to dissapate some of the heat.

And all of us CPF have road tested the AAA body, and we have proven that it is VERY ROBOUST. Far and away better than any little plastic light, or even a stamped out metal light.

Man, would that be nice!

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already wondered if the question would show up first or Peter announcing it - if Peter ever announces this - sign me up for a truckload right away.

Klaus

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
d'mo said:
I SO want one of these, if the beam is fairly tight....

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't think the beam is going to be tight.

ALTHOUGH, I could be wrong. One of my 5 watters from Mr. BULK has a little triangle shaped optic glued on top of the LED, so maybe the light does not have to be shapped the same way, with a NX-05 optics.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
We talked about the LS-AAA last year (haven't looked for the exact post). The circuit ran the part but the extra brightness was minimal compared to the extra cost. Some of the extra cost was in the methods needed to focus the beam. The aluminum reflector was not enough.

After looking at it and talking to you guys, we had decided it would be better if I focused on improving the Arc-LS.

I also looked/am looking into other LEDs for beefing up the Arc-AAA besides the obvious LS. One of the parts I recently evaluated was the 30mA Osram units (square housing). But the Nichias are brighter at 20 mA than the Osram units are at 30mA. Also looked into the new 70mA Pirannas from Agilent. Their red is fabo but they don't have any whites yet.

You heard it here first.

Peter

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

thanks for the update - I understand that R&D time is scarce - but could you re-visit this topic ? Possibly you could beef up the circuit better having one more year of possibly new chips available ? And I don´t think this should replace the ARC AAA or ARC LS - you won´t like it but my wish-list would be the ARC AAA LS to be ARCs third product. And if the beam spot/flood issue is the troublemaker - there was someone toying around with kind of cut-off halfs of Nichia LEDs used as optics for an LS - but I personally would even like such a beast with flood characteristic and the need to drive it with NiMh cells.

But again - these are just my 2 €cents

Klaus

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kimchikungfu said:
Klaus, since you'll be ordering a truckload, can you send me one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kimchi,

I´ll just throw one over to the pier when sailing by at Stockholm next time cruising the archipelagos or visiting the musicfestival /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Klaus

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Peter,

I edited my original post several times, so you might want to re-read it again, not for any particular reason, but I just added some details.

You say:

"I also looked/am looking . . ."

That tells me that we can expect advances in the future, and that is good enough for me. I realise that you cannot announce all your future plans here.

You also say:

"but the extra brightness was minimal compared to the extra cost"

Who cares about cost, if it is brighter!

I have to realise that you have a worldwide market to consider, not just us crazy people here on CPF.

However, I would bet (and maybe take a survey before committing) that you could sell 500-1000 right here to CPF members.

Maybe pre-sell it, and guarantee a minimum Bin Coding level.

Maybe this could be the next CPF edition.

While you have competitors in your current keychain market (Photon, inova, now even clones etc), there would be NO commercially available equivalents to a AAA Luxeon Star light the size of a current AAA, and I would really think that would open up some marketplace sales for you, people that really depend on a light.

This might be something to research, the serious flashlight user, that is not a flashoholic.

The attitude of someone who depends on light, might be,

"Yeah, that is a lot of money to spend on a keychain light, but it puts out SOOO much light compared to any other keychain light, it matches the light output of MUCH BIGGER lights. Whereas those other LED lights don't cut it for what I do, this light DOES".

Then this person could reason to purchase an AAA LS, because he could use it, whereas the traditional LED light could not be used, in his mind.

AND, someone is going to ask for it sooner or later, so please consider a high/low switch!

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I re-read your original post and your most recent post as well.

I know I should write in more detail about this but I am currently trying to put out a LS supply related fire...

Basically:

- There are only so many good luxeons available right now. We can't get enough for our Arc-LS as it is. Until they become more plentiful, we should hold off on new uses.

- Many of the features you describe will be/are provided by the Arc-LS. The difference being the key chain size of course. There is some discussion on how many ways a product line can be split since we already have a fairly optomized key chain sized flashlight.

- I don't think I have completely conveyed just how poor of a design the Arc-AAA LS was. The beam was horid for the estimated $70-80 price that it would require. Seems such a shame to commit a Luxeon to such a fate.

You said, "That tells me that we can expect advances in the future..". Don't you know me by now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There are rumors that some new medium power LEDs are coming out (to bridge the gap between the 20mA units and the 350mA units). These are what I am hoping to put in a keychain profile.

The 350mA units really should be in 1w pocket sized units. But that is just one man's opinion.

Let me repeat that I am always looking for ways to make our two lights brighter. I get excited everytime I think how bright our Arc-AAA is going to be once this technology or that technology can be ordered.

Peter

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your answer.

I think it has been evident for years, how much of your heart and soul go into your company, and your unwritten logo should be:

"At ARC, we are always striving and researching ways to be brighter, whiter, smaller, longer running, more durable, dependable and rugged, a higher level of perfection, and yes less expensive too, and give the customer the flexability they need is a state of the art flashlight."

So, to put this to rest, I will be looking forward to newer versions of your AAA in the future!

SRB

Newly Enlightened
Sign me up for one of those if you really are taking a poll. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

SRB

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:
[ QUOTE ]
kimchikungfu said:
Klaus, since you'll be ordering a truckload, can you send me one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kimchi,

I´ll just throw one over to the pier when sailing by at Stockholm next time cruising the archipelagos or visiting the musicfestival /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Klaus, I live in Malmo, southern Sweden, but I would fly up to Stockholm just to catch that Arc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

On a more serious note, I think Peter is right in that the estimated cost of the AAA-LS of $70-80 would be prohibitive to a lot of people, albeit not a majority of the diehard CPF:ers. The problem is there's tough competition in that segment, most importantly in the form of the E1e+KL1/L1, lights that, once the AAA-LS is released, might be further improved.

On the other hand, the Arc AAA-LS would indeed be a unique light and so market behavior is not entirely predictable.

All this would of course also depend on the volumes reuired to make a decent profit out of it.

Would I buy one? At $50 yes, at $70 or more no.

In an ideal world I would vote for a 123 AAA (Arc 123?) so that batteries could be shared with my SF E series.

KDC

Newly Enlightened
Well, how about an AA?

Yes, the AAA size is a little small, both in dimension and
battery capacity for a LS. So, how about scaling it up just
a little to an "Arc AA"? There are very few good single-AA
sized lights; an Arc entry in that size with superior brightness
could be a winner!

d'mo

Enlightened
Re: Well, how about an AA?

There already is an Arc AA, it's the LS"1", now out of production. Personally, one of my favorite features of the Original Arc LS.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kimchikungfu said:
On the other hand, the Arc AAA-LS would indeed be a unique light and so market behavior is not entirely predictable.

All this would of course also depend on the volumes reuired to make a decent profit out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

At first glance, it might just be another flashoholic addiction, limited to our (ever growing) population of CPF community.

BUT, it very well could interest people that might not normally be considered a flashoholic, but find themselves in the dark.

You don't know how the public would react to a piece of technology like that.

I would think that, even though it might be expensive, it would be valuable to an ecnomicly viable market share.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
d'mo said:
There already is an Arc AA, it's the LS"1", now out of production. Personally, one of my favorite features of the Original Arc LS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the 1 AA is very nice, but to choose between a 1AA and a 1, 123a battery light, esp now that the 123's are much cheaper in price.

But a 1AAA light, attached to your keychain or around the neck or on your beeper at all times, that gave a huge amount of light compared to other led's would be in a class by itself.

d'mo

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
BuddTX said:
...but to choose between a 1AA and a 1, 123a battery light, esp now that the 123's are much cheaper in price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but in some places in the world, 123s are downright scarce. AAs can be purchased almost everywhere; even small "nipa hut" stores in the rural Philippines had them.

Status
Not open for further replies.