Best Single AA Thrower?

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
I have a few AA lights and I like the form factor. Also, my emergency contingency plans call for only 2 battery sizes (for logistic and storage reasons) AA Lithium and 123 Lithium. Everything essential has to use one of these batteries as I have MANY put aside.

Back on topic. The best 1xAA thrower I currently own is a Jetbeam Jet-1 Pro R2. It is clearly brighter and tighter than Jet-1 IBS (even on 14500), NDI, Fenix Q5, etc. Is there a brighter 1xAA or 1x14500 out there?

I'm bored this afternoon and thought I'd try to stir up some coversation. Plus, I'm always looking for a reason to buy a new light (like a need much of a reason).

ETA: If our buddies across the pond (UK) call falshlights 'torches', what do they call torches? (Told you I was bored.)

Last edited:

fluke

Enlightened
ETA: If our buddies across the pond (UK) call falshlights 'torches', what do they call torches? (Told you I was bored.)

This has been covered more than once, but those UK citizens in the know, have no problem with either term.

Jet I Pro R2, and the new IBS but I won't have one just yet gotta wait for the upgrade pill :popcorn:

Yapo

Enlightened
hey if you're bored would you mind measuring the reflector dimensions for me? I was wondering if a collimator lens would fit in it. I've been tryin to find a single AA 100 lumen + light using optics. Not sure if any of the cree optics would give it any more throw than the current reflector it uses though...

yekim

Enlightened

warriorz

Newly Enlightened
A modded Rc-G2 Q5 would be up there,

You can get an RC-G2 with a Q5 already in it from shiningbeam.com. The stock driver is weak, but the SB version is not glued so it is fairly easy to do a board swap on.

l'm still kind of new to flashlights but i did mod an RC-G2 Q5 myself. it throws really good and cost only around $25 all up including the flashlight itself. feels solid and has a forward clickie, well worth it.

or you can get the SB version which is a little weaker but cheaper

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats the practial use of a thrower?

To purpose of a light is to see in the dark

Therefore, the purpose of a thrower is to see a long way away in the dark.

Also, they're the most impressive to non-flashaholics :p

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened
To purpose of a light is to see in the dark

Therefore, the purpose of a thrower is to see a long way away in the dark.

Also, they're the most impressive to non-flashaholics :p
So, mostley for show? Walking in a pitchblack forest for instance I have no use for a thrower as I can't se my feet. I don't see that many uses for a thrower, but fluke pointed out one good real world use.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a pitch black forest, you definitely don't want a thrower. Throwers are more for searching for things- dogs that have run off, spotting buildings, wondering where the hell you put your car (lol), etc. Flood is more for day-to-day purposes.

adnj

Enlightened
Let's face it. There are times when you will need one rather than the other. That's what made focusable lights so popular.

Rzr800

Enlightened
A small (pocket form) thrower fan looking for the highest output possible...often comes to the realization that there is actually plenty of spill available not only because of the obvious levels now available in that category...but on account of the depth limits of practical reflector design.
Even my tiny Tiablo A1 has a much deeper than normal reflector...yet both this light and my (very deep) Jet I Pro give me more than enough spill in pitch black usage.

Move on up to my Raidfire Spear and uber deep refelector design?...yeah, it's a one trick pony save the ultra low setting (which believe it or not still makes great usable light in a dark situation).

My point is that I wouldn't be disuaded from adjustable brightness AA or even AAA throwers in the least for most every situation that one could think of. These cells drive the latest LEDs well in the smallest practical throw/spill EDC package and have the added advantage (AAA) of working in other lights if the corner store doesn't already have them both in stock.

Last edited: