LED for SureFire E1E ??

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a SureFire E1e on sale at a local shop. Any recommendations for a LED upgrade? I thought I saw something mentioned in another thread, but I couldn't find it when I searched.

Thanks!

-- Frank

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can put one of 4 LED heads on that E1e...the KX1, E1B, KX2, or E2DL head.

Using regular batteries only: KX1, E1B
Using rechargeable RCR123 3.7 v : KX2, E2DL head

The KX1 & KX2 heads are low first, then high.
The E1B & E2DL heads are high first, then low.

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
You can put one of 4 LED heads on that E1e...the KX1, E1B, KX2, or E2DL head.

Using regular batteries only: KX1, E1B
Using rechargeable RCR123 3.7 v : KX2, E2DL head

The KX1 & KX2 heads are low first, then high.
The E1B & E2DL heads are high first, then low.

Thanks! I put the KL4 head (from my L4) on the E1e and it was a great improvement over the MN01. I will probably stick with primaries, though. Do they sell the E1B head seperately, or is that just the same thing as the KX1?

-- Frank

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how I forgot about the KL4! hehe. I practically invented that combo a few years ago... :ohgeez:

You often find the E1B head or E2DL head for sale in the MarketPlace. I just sold off like 7 a few weeks ago. Ebay too...just auctioned off 2 this week.

For now, you can only purchase the KX1,KX2, KL4 heads separately from dealers/Surefire. The other heads you have to buy from people taking them apart from other lights.

Last edited:

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
You can also buy a Q5 conversion head from Opticshq, or, if you're after more output you could mod a KX2 head with a different driver and drive the Q5 emitter at 900 Mah, which will get you around 200 lumens. This setup works with a rechargeable CR123. If you wish to use primaries only, then i would suggest taking out the driver from the KL1 head. The third option is to swap the emitter in the KL4 head to a P4.

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
I put my name on the list for one of Koala's drop-ins. Looks like a number of satisfied customers. The Q5s at OpticsHQ look pretty nice, too. I wish I had seen these before I signed up for Koala's. Anyone have a direct comparison between the two?

I will probably just be running primaries in my E1e. I don't have any immediate plans to any serious modding. I'd rather stick with drop-ins or replacement heads.

Thank you all very much for your helpful suggestions. I enjoy learning from you guys (and gals)!

-- Frank

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to see someone stick a good bright, white 5mm led on the stock bulb mount and run it direct drive. But those 5mm LEDs' don't put out the 20-25 lumens I'd want.