How does Surefire test the 6PN?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Some thing thats been eating away at me for a few weeks regarding the water resistant version of the 6P.

My understanding is its IDENTICAL to a 6P, in every way/shape/form. The difference is that its water-pressure tested to a depth of XX meters (someone please feel free to elaborate). Those 6Ps that can shed water to XX meters get sold as a 6PN.

My understanding also is that its only guaranteed from SF to be water resistant so long as the switch cap and bezel is not removed... from that factory test session.

If that is the case, how do they validate its water resistance?...
A) Load cells.
B) Submerse in pressure tank to XX meters for XX seconds.
C) Pull light from test aparatus.

Now what?

How do they open the light, inspect the inside for water... without removing the switch-cap or bezel (and violating the seal)?

????
:thinking::thinking::confused::confused:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a surprising lack of knowledge about this particular light, as shown in a thread in the incan. forum.

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened

sirahren

Newly Enlightened
I have asked!

Here's what the Customer Service Rep said:

"I'm not exactly sure on the details, the light itself is a little different, I'll pass this inquiry on to the Engineering Dept."

That was over the phone about a month ago. I haven't heard from them yet...

conan1911

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
Yes I still exist. The last time I saw it, we have a pressure testing chamber that is filled with water then sealed and then compressed air is added to mimic depth. I believe we test them at 3 atmospheres. (Approximately 102 ft. (10m depth (abt 34 ft) = 1 atmosphere)) We also add an extra o-ring to the tailcap area. I hope this helps.

Sirahren,
Do you know who you spoke with so I can correctly inform them?

Stuart@surefire

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it true that if you open the light to change batteries you void the rating and that battery changes need to be done at Surefire as discussed in this thread? :thinking:

Brownstone

Enlightened
My understanding is its IDENTICAL to a 6P, in every way/shape/form.
The 6PN can be distinguished from the 6P by the second O-ring in the tail:

cl6p-02.jpg

The difference is that its water-pressure tested to a depth of XX meters (someone please feel free to elaborate).
XX = 30 meters:

cl6p-05.jpg

conan1911

Newly Enlightened
Brownstone,
Thank you for the pictures, very helpful indeed. Theoretically, yes, if you unscrew the bezel or tailcap we can no longer insure that it is waterproof. But common sense says that it will still be waterproof, assuming you keep the 0-rings properly cared for.

eshishlo

Newly Enlightened
I know that for watches, there is an air pressure tester that simulates water pressure. If the watch fails the test, a water chamber is used to see where the leak is located. The top one is the water chamber, the bottom one is the air pressure test. If air is able to get inside then so will water.
My dad uses both machines to test water resistance of watches. I imagine something similar is used to test Surefire 6PN.

p212.gif

sm8810.JPG

Latest posts