Just bought a Fenix L1D

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I unfortunatly didn't get the L1D Q5 model, I think it's the older one... Not sure what type CREE is in it... But for $52.00 (incl. CPF8 discount!), it came with an E01!

This is more of a "yay, I bought something" type post. Anyone else have the older L1D, and do you like it?

Also, can it be used with a 14500 Lith, or will it go :poof:?

Marduke

Flashaholic
It'll work with 14500, but you'll loose the low modes. All modes will have the same brightness as turbo.

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
I have both L1D CE and L1D Q5. The L1D Q5 is a little brighter. They are both great flashlights.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Honestly, that's almost a good thing. The only thing I didn't like about the light description is all the modes! Who needs them all!? Thanks for your input on the light... Do you know if it'll fit a protected 14500? I'm guessing it'll depend on the brand... Also, notice any increased brightness with the 14500?

It'll work with 14500, but you'll loose the low modes. All modes will have the same brightness as turbo.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
hahaha, on fenix-store.com the listing for the aw 14500 says "not recommended for the LxD lights" I wonder what the max input voltage is for this sucker... (the non q5 version)..

AW's cells, available at fenix-store, the marketplace, Lighthound

Marduke

Flashaholic
hahaha, on fenix-store.com the listing for the aw 14500 says "not recommended for the LxD lights" I wonder what the max input voltage is for this sucker... (the non q5 version)..

They are not recommended because the LxD lights do not have buck circuits, and they go into direct drive and loose the low modes.

WDG

Enlightened
Anyone else have the older L1D, and do you like it?

:thumbsup: I have the L1D CE and like it very much. I haven't tried a Q5 version, so can't compare the two.

Other than being entirely too slippery, the L1D is as close to an ideal general purpose light as I would expect to find. Personally, I happen to like the modes and the way they are accessed in this light, very much. I probably use low more than anything else, but if I need a bit more, medium and high are just a half-press or two away, and if I want "turbo", a simple twist gets me there. Very nicely thought out UI, IMHO.

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
I EDC my Fenix L1D Q5 (except on weekend nights) and love it.

The fact that it takes a single AA battery is awesome. And the flexibility of this little light is amazing. I use it all the time.

My weekend nighttime light is my Surefire E2DL (2 modes)... for those special events.

:naughty:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Just an update to this....

Fenix-store is saying the max input for the L1D CE is 3.2v, and that pushing beyond this will likely cause the light to fail by way of damage to internal circuitry.

<sigh> So now I guess I have to decide if I want to risk it.... I actually bought a few 3.6v 14500 disposable lithiums (SAFT)... Wonder if they will be outputting above 3.6 to start...

Marduke

Flashaholic
Running the L1D on high voltage cell is often done, but you loose the low modes, and all modes are the same brightness as turbo until the voltage drops. Running as such, you have to follow the same guidlines for running the P2D on turbo for extended lengths of time.

That means if it has passive or active cooling (air rushing over, hand on it, etc), you're fine. If it gets uncomfortably hot to touch, it's time to turn it down or let it rest.