Beamshots: LED vs. Incandescent (CRI Comparison)

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Canon SD1000
ISO Setting: 80
Lens Aperture: F2.8
Exposure: 1/4 Second
White Balance: Day Light

R2 WH | MN21
r2-wh-mn21.jpg

MN21 | R2 WH
mn21-r2-wh.jpg

R2 WH | MN21
r2-wh-mn21-bush.jpg

Daylight Control (12 PM PDT)
daylight-control.jpg

R2 WH | MN21
r2-wh-mn21-tree.jpg

White Balance: Tungsten

R2 WH | MN21
[PLACEHOLDER]

MN21 | R2 WH
[PLACEHOLDER]

R2 WH | MN21
[PLACEHOLDER]

12 PM PDT Daylight
[PLACEHOLDER]

R2 WH | MN21
[PLACEHOLDER]

Additional ReferencesImage Processing Notes
2. Minimal unsharp masking (T=75) applied to offset downsizing image blur.
3. In the process of sourcing a color temperature meter to determine CCT (K) values.

Last edited:

jake25

Enlightened
I'm starting to be a big fan of your Beamshots Adam, hopefully dereelight will send that P7 dropin over soon enough.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Could you provide a picture of the tree and bush in full daylight as a comparison? Otherwise it is which one is prettier, not which one has a higher CRI.

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I've been really hoping for a thread on this. Do you know what the CCT is for these? Also, if someone could post pics of objects under 4000 and 5000 K I'd really appreciate it. And just to be nitpicky, but CRI just tells you how closely light A's color rendering is to that of an ideal black body radiator of the the same CCT, (or that of daylight if the CCT is above 5000K). So comparing the CRI of the mn21 to that of the R2 won't tell us anything about how accurate the colors are, as the mn 21 is being compared to an ideal black body radiator with a rather low CCT, while the R2 is being compared to daylight (6500K). It's CCT that we're really interested in in this case.

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be fair, I believe these tests should be repeated with tungsten white balance for the MN21. I suspect the main reason the incan beamshots look so "off" is due to the daylight white balance.

Also, If you have the right lights on hand, I'd love to see a shot of an LED and incan beam with similar overall output and beam profile BOTH pointed at the same tree. A "hybrid" between LED/Incan light should be nearly perfect in terms of CRI while still being at a relatively high color temp..