G2Z or E2e

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I have a local retailer that has an G2Z and a E2E for sale at a reasonable price. I currently have a 6P which I love but im looking to get another and don't know which one I want. I would like to get one for EDC. Can someone give me the scope on these 2 models.

Thanks very much.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
tough call...the E2e is regarded here as the ultimate EDC whilst the G2Z has good value for $. it really depends on what you're looking for in your new light.

if you're looking for a nice EDC, the E2e is shorter and slimmer than the G2Z, and its pocket clip allows you to carry it easily.

as for light output the G2Z will be essentially the same as your 6P since they use the same lamp assemblies whereas the MN03 lamp in the E2e would give you a slightly more diffuse but round beam, with less throw but more suited to utility uses.

i would recommend you get the E2e and change the pocketclip to the longer one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow. no wonder people here like surefires.

i never really considered one until i looked closely at the E2.

amazing! small, 60 lumen, 25 lumen (with different bulb), KL1 availability, rugged, nice looking...somewhat expensive, but incredibly versatile.

my wallet is growing seriously thin.

Bob

Skyline

Enlightened
I carry a G2Z for my EDC. I really love it. Combat grip, light weight, tough as nails. Plus, I have the P61 with 120 lumens in there. The E2e is nice, but not enough output for my personal security purposes.

YMMV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
I have to agree... you'll find more versatility with the E2e since you already own a 6P, at least in terms of a pocketclip, 75 minute runtime with the 60lu lamp, and it has a thinner body and shorter in length making it one of the top carry-champs around. Plus, the later option of a KL1 is a bonus.

I do like the G2Z combatgrip very much, and I do use it as one of my EDC's. My thoughts on EDC'ing with respect to versatility, I prefer not to carry a G2Z and a 6P, but rather, I'd carry a G2Z and an E2e. They differ that much for me.

-Jim

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you're looking for EDC, the E2e is the winner hands down. if you're looking for a pistol light, the G2Z wins.

i prefer a clip over holster carry so i would lean towards the E2e.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
if you're looking for EDC, the E2e is the winner hands down. if you're looking for a pistol light, the G2Z wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually shifted my view of this, now I think:

- G2Z wins hands down as a tactical light
- E2e wins as an EDC carried in pants pocket
- but G2Z might win by a nose for EDC carried in jacket

The P60 beam is tighter than the E2e, and I like that. Plus, I really like having the P61 option. For pants pocket carry, E2e's much smaller size makes it a no-brainer. But if I'm carrying in my jacket pocket, G2Z's greater size doesn't matter as much, and G2Z isn't that much heavier than E2e. And G2Z's great robustness is well-known. When I'm leaving the light in my jacket, there are definitely times I wish I had a G2Z to carry. I've almost bought a G2Z several times, because of it.

Joe

Size15's

Flashaholic
Joe makes points I tend to agrees with.

The G2Z is my most favourite non-EDC SureFire ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif yes, even over the M2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif )

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ygbsm

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PieThatCorner said:
I do like the G2Z combatgrip very much, and I do use it as one of my EDC's. My thoughts on EDC'ing with respect to versatility, I prefer not to carry a G2Z and a 6P, but rather, I'd carry a G2Z and an E2e.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree -- get both the G2Z and E2e for EDC and a Turbohead and extension for the 6P and make that your three cell nighttable light.

I believe in carrying two lights. The E2e is just a little to weak for what I want in an EDC light -- if they had something that small but with a higher output lamp it would be just the ticket, but they don't so too bad so sad.

As it is, I have taken to carrying both the E1e + KL1 (utility) and a G2Z with p61 (for when I want a brighter light). (Since it is winter, I also sometimes carry the A2 in a jacket pocket -- It doesn't make much sense to carry it, but it is sure fun to play with!)

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep, the G2Z is one of my favorite sf's. but for edc i just prefer a clip, same place/position.

you need more than a jacket pocket to carry the G2Z in preferably. a holster would be best as it'll be in the same spot and position every time. i'm not a holster guy(except pistol) and i don't like a flashlight "loose" on my person.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
... i'm not a holster guy (except pistol) and i don't like a flashlight "loose" on my person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey tkl-

I like that description - having things available for immediate draw is something that I personally fit into my EDC needs. So I find that to be an important observation. Although, I do sometimes pack a backup two cell light in my back pocket for the convenience factor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Jim

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

The G2Z is one of the all-time greatest flashlights ever made!

Dan.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PieThatCorner said:
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
... i'm not a holster guy (except pistol) and i don't like a flashlight "loose" on my person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey tkl-

I like that description - having things available for immediate draw is something that I personally fit into my EDC needs. So I find that to be an important observation. Although, I do sometimes pack a backup two cell light in my back pocket for the convenience factor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely, a backup is better in a pocket than at the house! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i guess i'll be the one to say, buy both lights! the cpf standard response /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

i can't believe this thread lived this long without the standard response. as a flashaholic, i'm ashamed.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Now I'm really laughing my butt off! Yes, so true... I was actually wondering if I should just say "Get 'em both!" - it seems so... CPF'ish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nothing wrong with that, of course...

As mentioned by most folks, and I completely agree, the G2Z is the definitive SureFire tactical light. I carry it more than I carry my M2 Millennium.

-Jim

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
ygbsm said:
....The E2e is just a little to weak for what I want in an EDC light -- if they had something that small but with a higher output lamp it would be just the ticket, but they don't so too bad so sad....

[/ QUOTE ]

ygbsm,

The light that comes the closest to your description is the TACM III. It is one of the three brightest, longest-throwing 2x123's currently in production, along with the ASP Taclite and the Pelican M6. It is identical in length to the E2e's 4 5/8" and at 3.8oz is only .6oz heavier than the E2e.

It is, however, thicker than the E2e. It's body diameter is nearly identical to the standard SureFire body, but its bezel is slightly wider. It is expensive and not as well made as a Surefire or the ASP, but it does fulfill two out of three of your physical criteria and I think that this is probably as close as you can get.

Brightnorm

ygbsm

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
i guess i'll be the one to say, buy both lights! the cpf standard response /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

i can't believe this thread lived this long without the standard response. as a flashaholic, i'm ashamed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I guess I'll have to do it --
I'm a flashaholic, and I'm ashamed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

By the way, how much is that TACM III and where is a good place to get it? I've alway thought of the TACM III as being about 6P size and have heard that the quality is low relate to the cost and that the beam is very very tight.