Talking CPR Flashlight

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talking CPR Flashlight

Hear CPR instructions at the touch of a button.

Talking flashlight prompts you through the CPR process with a clear female voice.

Easy-to-use with adult, child and baby instructions and handy pause button.

Compliant with AHA 2005 guidelines, it's an effective rescue aid and CPR skills refresher.

LED flashlight emits super bright beam.

Uses 2 AAA batteries (included).

4" long.
talkingcprflashlightfj2.jpg

This might be one I pass on. A "pause button"?
-LT

Mdinana

Enlightened
Well, you know...people sometimes come back.

And if they go out again, most people that would NEED a flashlight telling them how to do CPR probably wouldn't figure out how to start over at the beginning.

:shakehead

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i woudl carry this just cos most people wont know CPR, and having some sort of instructions rather than none, on my person, for them, might just save my life...

Crenshaw

jake25

Enlightened
i dont think its a good idea, people are CPR trained for a reason

i was trained 4 years straight, 3 years ago but do not remember now

i don't think i would risk it giving someone CPR even with previous training that i do not remember.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
i dont think its a good idea, people are CPR trained for a reason

i was trained 4 years straight, 3 years ago but do not remember now

i don't think i would risk it giving someone CPR even with previous training that i do not remember.

+1
If you don't have the training to perform CPR, you can do more damage than good. When it comes to chest depressions, you have to know exactly where to put your hands, and how far to depress, with infants its a whole new ball game.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wtf:

If you are in a situation where you should be administering CPR... and there is no one else around who has more training plus advanced rescue is more than 5 minutes away... then what is the harm of attempting chest compressions?? Pretty much it comes down to if a victim needs CPR they're going to die in ~5 minutes or less if nothing is done.

Absolutely I'd want someone trying to save me by imitating what they saw on TV rather than looking at me afraid of trying CPR. What's the worst that's gonna happen? I'm dying anyway!

Now CPR on a child or infant I would understand hesitation for those who haven't been thru CPro. A child or infant is likely to be with a parent or guardian, so things get a bit more hairy.

I think the light is interesting. But I'm sure it needs a mod. :devil:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I agree with PhantomPhoton. If there's no one else around and the only person there sort of knows CPR, and I'm the victim, I'd much rather have cracked ribs and live to tell about it. And if the situation was reversed, damn straignt I'd try to resuscitate (after calling 911, of course). I've had CPR training and while I've never needed to use it, I won't hesitate if someone's life is in danger and I don't see anyone else around that's more qualified.

And I wouldn't blast them in the eyes with that light either. :laughing:

jake25

Enlightened
i think in our sue crazy country of America, if you try to revive someone who's heart has stopped beating and they do die, their family is probably going to sue you saying you killed them.

:whistle:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
i think in our sue crazy country of America, if you try to revive someone who's heart has stopped beating and they do die, their family is probably going to sue you saying you killed them.

:whistle:

My state has a Good Samaritan law that prevents this situation from happening. Many other states have this law also.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
What you see on tv is far from reality. Knowing where to put your hands on the sternum, the depth of compressions, the ratio of compressions and how many cycles are some of the things you need to know. With adults 4-5cm compression depth with 2 hands, while with younger children its 2-3cm with one hand, and infants approx 2cm using 2 fingers. Also knowing when to administer air, listening and going by cycles.

What i just said is a small fraction of what goes into knowing how to perform CPR. Also you'd need to clear the airway before you even attempt to start CPR. If the casualty isnt breathing you would need to administer EAR (expired air resuscitation). You only commence CPR if the casualty has no pulse, is unconscious and is not breathing. With EAR, an adult would need one full breath every 4 seconds, approx 15 breaths a minute, older children its the same, younger children 1 breath every 3 seconds, with infants one puff every 3 seconds.

It is more complex than you guys make it, there's a reason why people do the training rather than imitating what they see on tv. Oh, and i have left out a lot of detail, there is a lot more that goes on than what I posted.

This is serious stuff guys, your talking about having someones life in your hands.

Steve

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understood, but if my life is in someone's hands, I'd like them to do something with said hands instead of standing around twiddling their thumbs because they can't remember whether to do 4cm compressions or 2cm compressions

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Do they update them each time CPR procedures get changed?

They sure do. What I posted IS NOT A GUIDE. Just some point to let you guys know there is more involved than just chest compressions.

Yoda, if someone does perform CPR on you without prior training, the thing Id be worried about is broken sternum and ribs, which could in tern puncture an organ, then you have a much serious problem. Also if they dont check your breathing and start chest compressions while your breathing, that will cause an irregular heart beat, again, not something I would recommend.

If i watched a season of ER, would that qualify me to perform surgery?

Steve

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, and if I'm unconcious, not breathing, and have no pulse, if they don't try something I'm dead anyways, I'll take that broken rib thanks :) Obviously I'd rather they know what they were doing, but life isn't always that convenient and brain damage sets in after 5 minutes. EMT/Ambulances also haven't perfected teleportation, so they take 10-30 minutes to get to where they need to be in some cases.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I would carry this just cause most people won't know CPR, and having some sort of instructions rather than none, on my person, for them, might just save my life...

Crenshaw

Speaking as someone who is certified in CPR, instructions from a flashlight is not going to be enough for a non-certified person to save a life. CPR looks easy when shown on TV, but there's a reason why a few hours of instruction is needed to perform CPR correctly. And why you have to take refresher courses to get re-certified.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Understood, but if my life is in someone's hands, I'd like them to do something with said hands instead of standing around twiddling their thumbs because they can't remember whether to do 4cm compressions or 2cm compressions

+1 on that. Some action is better than no action if the likely outcome of inaction is death,

And I'm a believer in keeping up on CPR training. Many communities offer free training, and th elife you save with it could be a loved one.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you see on tv is far from reality. Knowing where to put your hands on the sternum, the depth of compressions, the ratio of compressions and how many cycles are some of the things you need to know. With adults 4-5cm compression depth with 2 hands, while with younger children its 2-3cm with one hand, and infants approx 2cm using 2 fingers. Also knowing when to administer air, listening and going by cycles.

What i just said is a small fraction of what goes into knowing how to perform CPR. Also you'd need to clear the airway before you even attempt to start CPR. If the casualty isnt breathing you would need to administer EAR (expired air resuscitation). You only commence CPR if the casualty has no pulse, is unconscious and is not breathing. With EAR, an adult would need one full breath every 4 seconds, approx 15 breaths a minute, older children its the same, younger children 1 breath every 3 seconds, with infants one puff every 3 seconds.

It is more complex than you guys make it, there's a reason why people do the training rather than imitating what they see on tv. Oh, and i have left out a lot of detail, there is a lot more that goes on than what I posted.

This is serious stuff guys, your talking about having someones life in your hands.

Steve

If the victim has no pulse you can be sure said victim is unconscious and not breathing. Even in the event of an obstructed airway, someone who has not been trained on a safe method of clearing an airway can keep blood circulation going by using chest compressions. Proper rescue breathing/ EAR will help further but chest compressions are better than nothing.

In America the use the term rescue breathing which is essentialy the same as EAR. For public CPR courses in 2005 in order to try and streamline the process and make it easier for the layperson to remember compression ratios were changed. CPro ratios were also slightly altered last year. There are going to be variances depending on what course you took or what country you were trained in. In general those minor differences are not important.

Rescue breathing is a difficult skill, chest compressions are not; chest compressions are better than nothing in many situations. We're not asking someone to install a pharyngeal airway here, just keep blood moving until more advanced life support can hopefully arrive.
While a talking flashlight isn't going to train your average Joe proper CPR in the heat of the moment, it may help spark the memory of someone who had training in the past. If this is enough to get someone out of observer mode and into an active role as a rescuer where there is no one else to help that it is a good thing.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
While a talking flashlight isn't going to train your average Joe proper CPR in the heat of the moment, it may help spark the memory of someone who had training in the past. If this is enough to get someone out of observer mode and into an active role as a rescuer where there is no one else to help that it is a good thing.

Well said, PhantomPhoton. :thumbsup: