my bulbs been destroyed ..... help please

etc.etc

Newly Enlightened
hi

first of all .... i speak littel english ..you could read many words with no meaning... but try to understand me iam doing my best :whistle:

while i was looking for help in the internet .. i found this forum and i think itis the best place to look for help

i have 3 surfire flashlight ..... adn you know cr123 are very expensive ..so i bout a rechargeable cr123 ... AW brand

whene i use them .... they damage my bulbs :shakehead .. but they works ok with the LED flashlight !!!! :duh2:

why is that happen ?

is it the brand ... do you recommend any other brands that i could use with no problems :candle:

and why it works fine with the LED .... ?

explain that to me please

thanks

Marduke

Flashaholic
Rechargeable 123 cells are 4.2v fully charged. Non-rechargable 123 cells are only ~3v. That extra voltage destroys incandescent bulbs.

LED's usually have circuits which raise or lower voltage to what the LED requires, normally 3.7v.

Some lights work fine with rechargable 123's, some do not.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which model Surefire in particular are you talking about? Maybe there are other bulbs out there (Lumens factory brand for example) which can fit in the surefire and be powered by 2 rechargeables.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to use rechargables with an incandecent lamp you will need to use a p90 or lumens factory 9 volt lamp. These can handle the 7-8.4 volts from pair of rechargable lithium ion batteries.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AW batteries have too much power for your bulbs. AW batteries work with the LED because the LED has a protection device. AW brand is not the problem. AW brand is one of the best rechargeable CR123. Next time, use regular CR123 with your bulbs and use AW with your LED. Or use a special bulb for AW batteries like the ones talked about (P90, Lumens Factory).

etc.etc

Newly Enlightened
so helpfull ....thank you guys .... i understand now why my bulbs been damaged

my flashlight is Z2 CombatLight®

so you guys are talking about replacing the bulb ( bulb and the silver thing that surrond the bulb <---- i mean the whole thing as i see in the lumens factory web site )

thats mean i would get stronger beam ...wright ? :green:

so the batteries will work for short time ...!! :sigh:

guys i think you tried that before .... just tell me if it worth it

and i need your recomendations ..... any bulbs you recommend for my Z2

thank you very much for the fast respond:popcorn:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will want to use LED for long battery life and high brightness. Recommend Malkoff Devices, or Wolf Eyes R2. I used Malkoff, but now I have Wolf Eyes R2 and it is very bright and can last many hours with AW batteries.

etc.etc

Newly Enlightened
thanks Marduke .... i donot want the LED itis work ok with the rechargeable cr123

FlashKat .... yah i see them .... and i confused :ohgeez:

brighter mean less time ..... itis all depands on how long could i use my flashlight .

so if i buy th ES-9 (9V, 150 Lumens) ... how long does it work with the AW cr123 ?

9v ,150 lumens ........... and the AW will give me about 7-8.4 volts as Yoda said ...... does that mean i will not get the whole 150 lumens ?:thinking:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
2 fully charged RCR123 batteries will be 8.4v, so check the drop-ins that can take at least 8.4v and you should be fine.

2 Fresh CR123s are around 6.6v.

White LEDs usually run at 3.3-3.7v. All of the drop-ins have a driver/circuit to lower the voltage of the batteries to the voltage of the LED so the LED won't burn out. That is why the LED works fine and the Bulb blew.

To use the drop-in, just swap it like a normal bulb.

The silver thing around the bulb/LED is the reflector. Usually, a larger and/or deeper reflector will give more throw, the light will be more useful for a further distance.

what do you use the light for? Some drop-ins I won't trust for really important situations.

The P90(not the P91) should be a bit dimmer with the RCR123 battery. The P91(I think it's a 7 something or 8 something volt bulb, the high drain makes the batteries lower in voltage) could be dimmer too because of the high battery drain on the batteries.

The ES-9 won't be 150 lumen out the front anyways. The 150 lumen rating is for the output at the bulb before the light hits the reflector and window(lens), so in reality it's more like 100 lumen, or a bit less with rechargeables.

:welcome:

etc.etc

Newly Enlightened
FlashKatRe: my bulbs been destroyed ..... help please
Good suggestion, but now he will be really confused

ACUALLY . yah that link was too confusing for me ... :D

guys you know that LED is bad in fog and itis not as bright as the standard bulbs ... what the only advantage is it last for longer time ....wright !

-------------

thanks i havenot seen the last 2 responds ..... i see we get less than 150 l .... about 100 ..good enough ... it will be brighter acually

---------
the LED looks brighter in the link you posted >>!!! :duh2:

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
FlashKatRe: my bulbs been destroyed ..... help please
Good suggestion, but now he will be really confused

ACUALLY . yah that link was too confusing for me ... :D

guys you know that LED is bad in fog and itis not as bright as the standard bulbs ... what the only advantage is it last for longer time ....wright !

LED will be MUCH brighter and longer runtime. How often do you use your light in fog that thick?

etc.etc

Newly Enlightened
you guys change my mind .... i think i will go with the LED things now

but Lumens Factory doesnot have LED ...where to get them ?

etc.etc

Newly Enlightened
i found many kinds of LED .....

from your comments ..... these are the best chois i think

R2 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836

AND THE Q5 http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/crq5drmo.html

Q5 230 Lumen < this is clear ..230 lumen

R2 Output: 117~225 Lumens < but this one goes from 117 to 225 .....??? ---- ok there is R2 made bu Dereelight and some guys recommende it .. do you know where to find their products

guys do you have any recommendations

Last edited:

Latest posts