LED Flashlight for 10 year old kids

lnh

Newly Enlightened
My kids need flashlights for an upcoming school overnight trip. I really don't want to lend them my Fenix P3D, P1D, NDI, or Jetbeam as I'd worry about them getting lost.

What would people recommend for a decent, robust LED light that runs on AA batteries with enough output, reliable switch, low price that can be purchased at local stores like Lowes, Target, etc. Way back when I use to curse at mini-mags on a regular basis as the on-off mechanism was forever flaky. Has that improved on LED mini-mags?

Technician

Newly Enlightened
How about the River Rock single AA light from Target? It's a neat little light with a clicky tailcap and I think its around $25 or less.

nbp

Flashaholic
The RR is a decent choice for that purpose, or maybe an Inova X1, also at Target. AA batts, simple twisty, maybe 10-15 lumens or so. And nearly indestructable, which is great for kids. :poof:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 2xAA 1watt available at Kmart (under HighBeam name) and Walmart for about $20. Rugged, decent runtime, decent brightness.

sabre7

Enlightened
Fenix E01 perfect for kids, fairly cheap, comes in colors kids would like & makes it easier to find when lost, cheap batteries, long runtime if accidentally left on and for playing around with, knurling useful for small hands, and they will probably genuinely like the purple beam.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
My daughters favorite light is the little green Nuwai river rock. It runs FOREVER on any kind of AA cell. Together we have dropped this thing more times than I can remember, on all kinds of hard indoor and outdoor surfaces. She plays with it in the bathtub and swimming pool, so its submersible to at least 4 feet (I haven't tested it any deeper than that). It has a flashing mode that she likes to play with. I took out the black plastic liner from inside the head and that helps brighten up the flood a little, around the spot-light projection from the aspheric lens. Ceiling bounce is a little brighter than my 9 lumen nite-ize modded minimag.
The rubber side switch is firm yet easy enough for small hands to operate.
She takes it with us when we go on night hikes.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I got this one for my daughter who loves it: http://www.opticsplanet.net/energizer-weather-ready-rechargeable-led-nimh-flashlight-rcl1nmwr.html

or http://www.batteries.com/productprofile.asp?appid=383246

It's a rechargeable Enzergizer Weather-ready light that can be used as a night light, has 2 modes - high and low.

Since it's rechargeable I never have to worry about batteries or if she left it on. It runs forever on a single charge, and it's extremely simple to use, as well as fairly bright as well.

Walmart sells it for $9. Get a couple and your daughter will LOVE it.

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
Recently we ordered and received 20 UltraFire C3's and found them to be of very good construction, with all but one working perfectly. I recommend them- our grandkids have them now and with the sheath, and the ability to use alkalines, they are proving to be a good choice. I recommend you only order from DX for this one.

Whatever you give them will be great to them.

Have fun!

12Johnny

Newly Enlightened
Recently we ordered and received 20 UltraFire C3's and found them to be of very good construction, with all but one working perfectly. I recommend them- our grandkids have them now and with the sheath, and the ability to use alkalines, they are proving to be a good choice. I recommend you only order from DX for this one.

Whatever you give them will be great to them.

Have fun!

+1 ;)

It would be a very good option for a kid :thumbsup:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight ProPolymer 2AA LED in yellow. 20 (or so) lumens, 18 hrs. of run time and $17.95 (BrightGuy). Seems perfect to me for a 10 year old (or any one else over 21 who acts like a 10 year old! LMAO). My .02 FWIW

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
What would people recommend for a decent, robust LED light that runs on AA batteries with enough output, reliable switch, low price that can be purchased at local stores like Lowes, Target, etc. Way back when I use to curse at mini-mags on a regular basis as the on-off mechanism was forever flaky. Has that improved on LED mini-mags?

I'd be another to recommend a ROV Sportsman Extreme AA, an Inova Bolt AA or X1. All of these are rugged, well made and available at Target, Walmart, or Kmart. They all use common AA batteries and should offer good runtime. The MiniMag AA LED lights still have temperamental switches. If the school is providing extra batteries on the trip, I highly doubt they will have CR123s along, otherwise I'd also recommend the Inova X5. For the kids, a light that uses common batteries is a great choice, especially when they go out on overnight trips. Chances are, they will probably use the light a *lot*. Part out of necessity, and part because they will like it and want to play around with it.

That Streamlight ProPolymer 2AA looks promising as well. 20 lumens max and 18 hours of runtime makes for a very nice combination! Can't buy it locally though..

Let's face it.. Pretty much any well designed LED light is going to outperform the old plastic incandescents we all grew up with (and loved!)

Last edited:

lnh

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for the recommendations.

I'll take a trip to the big box stores and look at the ones suggested.

I'm not against mail order, however they leave in less than 2 days so it's not a cost effective option.

GPB

Enlightened
You might want to look at the Energizer "Tactical" lights. The 2xAA model comes in either 1 or 3 Watts and includes the Lithium batteries.

3 Watts= 65 lumens/3 Hour runtime
1 Watt = 45 Lumens/7 Hour runtime

I got the brighter one, but a 10 year old may value burn time over brightness. Mine is pretty bright, and while its no mechanical work of art....its a pretty decent light for under $20, runs on alkies, rechargeables, or lithiums. Its a good light for a kid, and yet you won't mind getting it back if it returns from the trip.

here's a the details from Energizer.com

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/mlt3w2aal.pdf
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/mlt1w2aal.pdf

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how it is exactly they will need to use it for the trip. Camping? I really like some of my led lanterns. The coleman is especially good, but a bit pricey. But I understand you can get a River Rock led lantern at Target quite cheaply? I haven't purchased that one, but it sure is handy. Also, believe it or not, the Dorcy 4AA focusing area spot lamp is pretty useful. (that is an incandescent lamp)

Otherwise, besides the recomended Rayovacs and Energizer, there are Brinkmann led lights for less than $20. Walmart has a Brinkmann 1 watt 2AA for $14. They have a 3AAA that looks neat, and is ABS but that doesn't meet your battery requirements. Same with the Element K2 at Sam's club. 2 for less than $30 if you are a member, but again, 3XAAA.

I saw the Brinkmann Rebel Led 2AA at a local tire store (pepboys) Are they in your area?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Otherwise, besides the recomended Rayovacs and Energizer, there are Brinkmann led lights for less than $20. Walmart has a Brinkmann 1 watt 2AA for $14. They have a 3AAA that looks neat, and is ABS but that doesn't meet your battery requirements. Same with the Element K2 at Sam's club. 2 for less than $30 if you are a member, but again, 3XAAA.

I saw the Brinkmann Rebel Led 2AA at a local tire store (pepboys) Are they in your area?

Sams Club sells 2xAA Energizer Cree lights. They are currently $16.81 for a two pack. That's about $8.40 each, and a great deal.

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
I wonder how it is exactly they will need to use it for the trip. Camping?

They might be doing some group hiking, and it's just safer to have a light just in case someone gets separated from the group. It makes finding them much easier and it's safer for the person as well.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
My 4yr old twins have had just about every kind of cheap light there is now they have energizer hard case lights.But when they are a little older they will both be getting an hds.Not cheap but they are worth it.Plus i will get to play with them to.:naughty: