P7/17500 Griffin head trial.

Ganp

Enlightened
Like many others, I obtained some Seoul P7's to try, but I have only just got around to making something with one. My aim was to make
a P7 head for the Griffin (http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php/topic,6199.0.html) and keep it small enough for easy EDC.

I had tried a variety of reflectors with the P7 - several M@G reflectors, McR 27XR, McR38, and some unbranded ones. It seems that, in
general, when it is positioned behind the reflector to focus a reasonably well defined hotspot, the beam is not very smooth, but is 'ringy'
with a broad warm band around the hotspot. And the spacing between the four Led dies causes the doughnut effect too.

When defocused the beam smoothes out quite nicely to provide a good area light, but with a weak hotspot and very little throw. So little in
fact, that a single die Led such as the XR-E will easily out throw it when used with the same type reflector.

The nicest overall beam I have found so far, is when used with an McR38 reflector - a reasonable combination of throw and an even spill,
but it was just too large for this project.

So I opted to use a smaller reflector giving a flood beam for this head.

The head houses a bored out Griffin reflector and an oversize light engine with a Tri-Flupic driver wired in parallel. The head extends back
17.00mm behind the LE so that an RCR17500 or RCR14500 battery can be used with the 1x123 body tube. Just a slight, but worthwhile
improvement, over trying to feed it with a single RCR123 battery.

The Tri-Flupic this gives plenty of runtime at the lower settings, and provides the occasional extra bright flood on burst when needed.
From a fresh AW RCR17500 battery the draw is 2300mA on burst (measured at the tail).

EDIT ... Done some more checking and with some of my other RCR17500 and RCR14500 battteries the draw is just over 3000mA when first
fired up on burst, but it drops pretty quickly.

It was supposed to complement the looks of the Griffin, but it's a bit of a style victim, and it could have been a little shorter - if I had not
built the light engine first.

So here are the photo's ....

IMG_1722copy.jpg

IMG_1724copy.jpg

IMG_1720copy.jpg

And with a SF 6P, and a cheep and cheerful DX Seoul P7 light, for size comparison.
IMG_1731.jpg

The parallel wired Tri-Flupic and the 24.00mm diameter LE can.
P7-TriFlupic.jpg

The heatsink, and a jig - with P7 in place - for centering the Led on the heafsink.
P7heatsinkjig.jpg

Top view of jig with Led in place, and the mounted Led.
P7jigheatsink.jpg

Size comparison with an Aleph fit LE, and the battery + contact spring.
P7LE.jpg

It's not the smallest P7 light, and it neads some refining, but IMHO it's a reasonable compromise for size and output. It will come back
from the anodisers soon, so I will update the post with a couple more photo's and some beamshots, when I receive it. - Updated in post 8.

Thanks for looking,
Colin.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Wonderfully clean electronics and excellent machining (of course).
Is there anything you can't do Colin? :bow:

It looks about as small as one can get for a P7 light.

So what it the current to the led on burst?

:takeit: Seriously, I'd love one in bare Al.

Daniel/

Ganp

Enlightened
Nice light!!

What material is the body made out of?

Thanks Thomas, it's 6082 alloy. :thumbsup:

So what it the current to the led on burst?

:takeit: Seriously, I'd love one in bare Al.

Daniel/

3000mA+ from a fresh RCR17500 or RCR14500. :grin2::grin2: But only on first fire up.

This one is just an experiment. IMHO I think the nature of the P7/reflector beam patterns with different reflectors means that it really must be carefully tailored to the users needs.

Colin.

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another beauty Colin. If you go public, don't let this one get by me.

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Collin,
I would be interested in having you Research and Design A P7 for me and my Griffin. When you get some time I'm in for anything you come up with!
I have put lots of run time on the First "Griffin" and still think it's the Perfect setup !
Thanks for working with me !

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Colin,

I was just thinking about this same thing for my Griffin.
Like Griff I would definately be in for one
BTW, the light engine turned out great thanks for your advise and help.

Carl

PS I have a brand new Tri-flupic just sitting around waiting for a new home:naughty: I want one:devil:

Last edited:

Ganp

Enlightened
The first head has been anodised, and a Mk2 has been made. This second one has a more Griffin like profile.

Griffin bodies with the XR-E head and the anodised first P7 head.
IMG_1767copy.jpg

And in raw alloy with the Mk2 head.
IMG_1771copy.jpg

The camera angle makes it look as though the P7 is off-centre because the Led is set slightly behind the reflector.
IMG_1769.jpg

This time the light engine has been changed too and is a tolerance fit instead of being screwed in. Both types are fitted
from the front prior to fitting the reflectors.
The slide in light engine is not as big as the screw-in one, but still quite a lot bigger than an Aleph LE.
It butts up to the reflector very much like the drop-in module that the reflector originates from.
P722mmLEIMG_1826.jpg

A different approach used in each head for contacting the battery tube and the battery.
IMG_1776copy.jpg

Here are some beamshots from the original P7 light engine with the Griffin reflector and with a 27XR reflector. Both have
been focused to get a reasonably well focused hotspot, but it is at the expense of a rather 'ringy' beam. The 27XR was
housed in a different host but fresh 17500 batteries were used for both. For comparison there are beamshots from the
DX MTE P7 torch which uses an 18650 battery.The MTE was set on high, and the Tri-Flupic LE was on burst.
All taken at 1 metre and with the same camera exposure settings used for all three lights. The daylight white balance really
shows how blue the spill is, but unless compared next to another beam they appear reasonably white in normal use.

Exposed for the spill ...
P7-spill.gif

Exposed for the hotspot ...
P7-hotspot.gif

Overall I prefer the beam from the 27XR reflector, but it is considerably longer than the Griffin reflector, and would make the
light bigger than I like. With the GR reflectored P7 head the overall length of the light is 114mm - 41/2 inches, and I really don't
want to go any longer than that.

So I'm not sure if this is going to work out, or if I will just move straight on to a different host for the 27XR/P7 combo'. I guess
I still have a long way to go.

Colin.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to have one of these! Great work Colin!
Tell me I can get one for my Griffin before you move on to another host design.
I am a very willing Guinea pig for this

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Colin, your work looks amazingly nice.

There will be a stampede of volunteers for your protos.

I am very much looking forward to whatever route you go down with these.

My own feeling is that a compact 18650 light would be the way to go
(maybe with 27XR reflector)

It could still have the Griffin design features, but maybe just be a larger
version.

Last edited:

gollum

Enlightened
these are the nicest looking of all imho

:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

:takeit::takeit::takeit::takeit::takeit::takeit:

84Maroon

Banned
+1 on the 18650 idea, that wold be very nice. It matters not which way you go with it, I am in for one :twothumbs