• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler: custom machined LED lights/housings for bikes Or whatever

bryguy17

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,
As many of you know, I've been hard at work designing some trick little LED light housings. I'm just about ready to get them made, and would like to know how much interest people would have in possibly purchasing either an empty housing for a DIY project, or a completed light head. I am hopefully going to have a production run of 15 made, and I will be keeping 6 or 7 for myself, so there will be extras. I Just need to look into demand before I drop a decent fork's worth on machining costs.

Specs for my personal lights:
emitters: cree R2 on 17mm stars
driver: taskLED bFlex UIB2
optics: carclo 20mm - cree spec
connectors: trailtech waterproof from batteryspace
switch: IP67 pushbutton.

Feature:
Approx. light output: 500ish lumens (roughly a trinewt)
approx weight: hoping to get right around 100g per head. batteries will run about 200-300g for lithiums depending on chemistry and capacity.
power: 11.1v nominal battery (3 cell lithium)
runtime: 11.1v 2100mAh: approx 2.5 hr at full power
11.1v 4300mAh: approx 5 hr at full power (my setup will use these)

Beam pattern will be adjustable by switching optics. Shouldn't take more than a minute or two if you already have an allen wrench out.

pictures (design is mostly the same, but has a few tweaks for the better):

fullalulightfront.jpg

fullalulightback.jpg

lightheadsee-through.jpg

So drop me a PM if you'd be interested or have any questions. Probably looking in the 150ish range for a complete head minus battery depending on my machining costs and what extent of metal finishing I go to.

Last edited:

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested. Just plain old bike light is good for me.

FYI: Forum rule requires that you put price in the BST.

Pyle-IT

Newly Enlightened
I would buy 2 of them. Let me know if/when they are available

sskyy

Newly Enlightened
I would be interested in 1, depending on final price though.

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could use a bike light too. Do you have plans for a mounting bracket or how one would attach to the housing? Is it possible to use a multi level driver and have a connector for an external switch?

mosport

Enlightened
I'd be interested in a DIY project housing (or possibly a completed head depending on the final price), your drawings look great!

PM sent.

Last edited:

bryguy17

Newly Enlightened
Which software did you use to make the design?

solidworks 2003, as it was the only student software I could get my hands on. Thankfully, the files can be converted to any newer version fairly easily.

Mirage_man, there is an M5 threaded hole on the bottom of the front housing piece. I don't have anything specifically planned for it, but it should work with a lot of aftermarket QR mounts. You could also feasibly mount it to an old reflector bracket without too much trouble for the bars, and some decent velcro on the bottom would probably be sufficient for helmet mounting.

wildstar87

Enlightened
I'm interested, is that completed head with all the leds and electronics, or is it just bare bones?

bryguy17

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested, is that completed head with all the leds and electronics, or is it just bare bones?

the $150ish is for a complete light head. That includes emitters, optics, bflex driver, switch, and a 4" power lead with a trailtech connector (available at batteryspace, but upon request I can leave the leads bare for your own connector choice or solder them on). You will still have to purchase a battery, but anything above 9 or so volts will work. Personally I'll be using either 11.1v 2150 or 11.1v 4300 mAh lipo/lithium packs depending on use (lipos will give a little over 2 hours burn time at full and only weigh 176g each, so they'll get thrown in for races)

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
I'm interested. I just happen to have some 3S 1800mAh LiPo's that I'm no longer using so this would be a great use! :) Since you're planning to use LiPo's yourself, I assume the drive has built-in LVC? I haven't researched thart particular driver just yet...

- Chris

UPDATE: Found the answer on the LVC here. Reads:

6. V Cut (protect rechargeable batteries by shutting off circuit at a chosen Voltage level). Enter in
form xy.z) Default: 12.0 V (configured for 14.4V Li-Ion battery)

7. V Low (Warn of battery nearly discharged. Enter in form xy.z) Default: 13.0 V (configured for
14.4V Li-Ion battery)

8. V Med (Warn of battery half discharged. Enter in form xy.z) Default: 14.3 V (configured for 14.4V
Li-Ion battery)

Last edited:

Ducaticorse

Newly Enlightened
I would probably be interested in one of the complete heads. Got a pic of a completed proto handy - or are you building yours as part of the batch?

bryguy17

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the interest guys. I'm still working on sourcing out the work for the parts. I need to update the machinist that's doing the main housing pieces and get a quote for a few more housings. I've had so much interest that I may be expanding the run to 25 or so housings.

My personal stuff will be in with the batch, so all I can offer at the moment is pictures of the solid model. I'll definitely contact everyone that's expressed interest in purchasing a housing or completed light once I get a final price/timeframe nailed down.

Have a good one guys.
-Bryan

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be interested in it as a head lamp but I would need more info first.

Bryan, what kind of money for machining? I have a local guy that did some stuff for me on a CNC machine and he charges around 60 bucks an hour but once he programs it, it shouldnt take long.

Thanks

George

bryguy17

Newly Enlightened
I might be interested in it as a head lamp but I would need more info first.

Bryan, what kind of money for machining? I have a local guy that did some stuff for me on a CNC machine and he charges around 60 bucks an hour but once he programs it, it shouldnt take long.

Thanks

George

As of now, my quote is at 450 for 15 units, plus I need to get a final piece waterjet or laser cut. Also, I need to expand the scope and probably get more housings made. I've posted this on a few forums, and there's a lot more interest than I anticipated.

If your local guy thinks he may be able to do it cheaper including shipping to southern california, you can drop me a PM. I'm always interested in saving some money ;)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, i'll check with him next week. Feel free to remind me as my memory is totally screwed up :)

I guess I need approximate size and stuff and I'm sure you have the exact measurements if he wants them?

George