Inova X1 Tailcap Disassembly?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Can the Inova X1 tailcap be disassembled & reassembled? I'd like to replace the switch boot.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a look at the tailcaps of my X1's with a large magnifier but I haven't found a way to disassemble them. Maybe the steel ring around the rubber boot has been put into position while heating the tailcap. :thinking:

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
I just took the switch boot out of my original edition X-1 and crammed it back in without removing any metal. You can remove the old boot by sliding a tiny flat screwdriver in between the boot and the stainless ring and moving the rubber towards the center. There is a metal post which is about 3/8ths of an inch in diameter, so there isn't a lot of wiggle room, but there is just enough. The trick to replacing it is to use a combination of dishwashing liquid and WD-40 to make it slick enough for the ridge to slide back under the metal rim. I used a pencil with an eraser to push the boot in. Use the eraser end to generally push the boot, and the lead end (not too sharp or you can poke a hole in the boot) to push the edges in. I hope you can find a new boot.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Great info. I have an extra silver tailcap here so I will give that a try. Thanks Mockingbird! :thumbsup:

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
Great info. I have an extra silver tailcap here so I will give that a try. Thanks Mockingbird! :thumbsup:
I didn't know you had another tailcap. If you don't mind mixing colors, it would be easier to just use the other tailcap. If you decide/decided to mess with the boot, let us know if it works/worked for you like it did for me. :popcorn: