Help with which to buy please...

Moka

Enlightened
Hi All,
Very new to CPF, have read and searched through as many threads as I could and still can't arrive at a decision as to which Flashlight should be my next...
Currently have an Inova XO (Original with the TIROS) does anyone know what Lumen rating this gets??? I would like something brighter than that and with the new technology I know its quite probable that I can get a single cell torch to beat it...

Looking for something small and single cell... Price not really issue (don't go to ridiculous though)... Surefire is a preference, but am open to something else if there is another brand that is the same sort of quality and specs...

Was originally looking at the E1B but the awesome styling and output are for me soured by the 1.3hr runtime on high (I know "Whaddya expect from a single cell") but I need a little longer and don't know if I need something that bright, so that one is out unless someone can convince me otherwise =P

Now am looking at the E1L Outdoorsman (new one with the dual output 3/45 lumens) so my question then becomes is the E1L on high brighter/more powerful than the Inova XO and does anyone know what the runtime to 50% is on it? Does it outdo the XO?

Are there any that compare?
Also before you guys throw up some awesome ideas that just so happen to suit my needs perfectly... I am in Australia so sending to and fro for mods is unfortunately out of the question... So stock standards if you can... (unless theres a modder in Aus or an easy way to get US mods)

Thanks in advance guys... Appreciate it, Moka :thinking: :thanks:

yalskey

Enlightened
I would really checkout the Fenix P2D. It's a single cell that's bright as heck, and it's very small and durable. Fenix lights may be made in China, but they are very very well made and have a great return / repair policy. Fenix customer service is excellent, and worldwide shipping is free. I EDC this light and it is a real marvel.

www.Fenix-Store.com

BTW, I'm not a Fenix employee or anything, just a big Fenix fan!

[EDIT] Oh yeah, and don't forget about the discount code for CPF members when you checkout. It's "CPF8"... How can you beat that?

Moka

Enlightened
Was looking at the Fenix for a while and still haven't been swayed too far away from them... That discount code may even allow me to get one of those (as well... lol)
I would like to find out the lumen level of the XO - TIROS before I make any decision as then I have a point of reference as to brightness of all these awesome new torches...

Also does the (new dual-output) EL1 have the KX2 Head on it?
Could that be a solution to problems? Could I buy a E1B or E1L on it and put a KX2 on it? And what LEDs are all these (KX2, E1B, and E1L) Running in them?

I know I'm asking alot of questions but I need to have this information before I buy :p

Thanks for the quick answer though mate...

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are in Australia you might also consider
http://www.torchworld.COM.AU
I would really checkout the Fenix P2D. It's a single cell that's bright as heck, and it's very small and durable. Fenix lights may be made in China, but they are very very well made and have a great return / repair policy. Fenix customer service is excellent, and worldwide shipping is free. I EDC this light and it is a real marvel.

www.Fenix-Store.com

BTW, I'm not a Fenix employee or anything, just a big Fenix fan!

[EDIT] Oh yeah, and don't forget about the discount code for CPF members when you checkout. It's "CPF8"... How can you beat that?

The Inova X0 is 20*1.39=~28 lumens.
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_xo.htm

The P2D is 82*1.39=~114 lumens on turbo. Current P2Ds are 25-30% brighter than the one reviewed (or around 140 lumens).
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_p2dce.htm

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The X0 would be a bit lower then 30 lumen, but it has a pretty narrow beam so it might seem brighter then a very wide beamed brighter light(but 880 lux at 1 meter is pretty easy to bean nowadays).

The new E1L uses the KX1 head. The E2L uses the KX2 head. They have a pretty good optic that allows them to have a good amount of throw for the output, along with some side-spill.

How much do you want to pay?
What Batteries would you prefer?(single AA lights can out lumen and out throw the X0 that you have)
Multimode?
What kind of switch?
Beam pattern?

The Nitecore Extreme could also be a good choice, along with some other lights.

Fenix Store also has international shipping included in their price. The Q5 version would be around 30% brighter then the normal P2D.

:welcome:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd get an L1 if I was shopping for a single cell surefire. 2 stage low/high pressure switch, 60+ lumens on high with a well focused beam. Over an hour of runtime on a single 123a. It may not get the runtime of the E1L but the larger size of the L1 and mechanical switch are big sellers to me.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a NovaTac. At least if you want something with ANY spill. The L1 & E series SF's have little (if any) spill and I personally find them useless. The NovaTacs have a USEFUL beam with spill and a hotspot, not as much throw as the L1, etc., but a VERY useful beam. My .02 FWIW

HeadCSO

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF

As mentioned, Fenix lights are a good start and offer value for money.

Another alternative is the Wolf Eyes range of lights. As you are in Aus, you do have a dealer based there. Check them out at wolfeyes.com.au.

Last edited:

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened
The Liteflux LF5XT looks to be the best light ever made yet! It's smal, single cell AA, bright, programmable (if you want to), and runs for a wery long time.

Highest scoring light on lightreview of any light ever tested!
http://light-reviews.com/liteflux_lf5xt/review.html

At 15% it's 582 Lux and still runs for 6 hours!

Moka

Enlightened
Thankyou all for the welcomes and replies...

Would like to hear about the Surefires from a surefire nut regarding the E1B or E1L...

Thankyou for clearing up the XO Output as well... I didn't realize it was that low, although I have had it for about 2-3years...

So really anything brighter than that'll be great...
To answer the questions put to me...

*How much do you want to pay?
Not a major issue... Was originally looking at the Fenix, then got swayed by the Surefire (more$)... Have recently discovered the HDS lights ( and thats MUCH more $$$ lol) so suggest away...

*What Batteries would you prefer?
Single 123a, *Rechargeable* ones if possible... But have used primaries in the XO

*Multimode?
Oh yeah... The XO is kinda bright at 1 in the morn when the powers gone out and the dog is barking...
I rather like the HDS with the red-led or low-light mode... Really anything brighter than the XO would need a lower setting for night by my reckoning...
But I firmly believe that the Fenix had too many modes... lol

*What kind of switch?
Doesn't really fuss... Inova is a twisty and never had any probs with... But this has not been a real factor in my decision process...

*Beam pattern?
Have done with the XO for a while... From what I've read most other torches aren't as concentrated as this torch so concentrated works nicely for me...

I'm still doing research... Have narrowed my decision down to something of a shortlist in no particular order... =D
  • Fenix P2D Premium - even if there are so many modes :p
  • Wolf-Eyes Angel A
  • Surefire E1B or E1L - Still need more info...
  • HDS Twisty - very nice may wait for the HDS clicky
  • NightCore Extreme
Would like to hear from owners of the flashlights in my shortlist...

Thanks again for your help guys... :grin2:

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For rechargeable and maybe similar form factor, the Fenix P3D might be good. It runs better on RCR123s, the P2D will loose lower modes. The Olight T20 would work too.

8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

Both lights are actually pretty easy to use. A full click is always off.

Maybe also include one of these as a beater/backup/AA powered light.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just FYI, you can often run the 2 123a cell lights off of a single 17670 rechargeable lithium ion. Whether you get full brightness or not will depend on the driver circuit the light uses.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix P2D has a lot of modes, but actually has a great user interface. It's made so you don't have to use all the modes if you don't want to. Push the tail button once for on and twist the head for changing between low and turbo. You can tighten or loosen the head while the light is off so it comes on in the mode you want first. The rest of the modes are accessed by partially pushing in the tailcap. Press the button all the way in again to turn the light off. It basically works like a two stage light. You just can't signal with it. It does however have an SOS mode.
The Fenix P3D is a great light, but doesn't work with most, if any 17670 cells. It will work with most RCR123A cells. The P3D tends to have a narrower battery tube than is needed for most rechargeables (especially protected cells that are fatter). The P2D doesn't work well with most rechargeables. You'll only get turbo mode with rechargeables. You can get an L1D or L2D body tube (and an L series tailcap) and use AA batteries. Rechargeable NiMH batteries work great for this. Even better, you can get the Fenix Power Pack that comes with a P2D Q5 Cree light, an L1D body and tailcap, a light diffuser, and a battery cap (so you can use the spare body as a battery carrier). The Power Pack goes for about $70.

Moka

Enlightened
:bumpit:

Just to add another light to my shortlist... What do ppl here think of the Inova T1? I hear they're really nice for a single cell light? whats the Lumen reading on that compared with the XO, Fenix or E1L?

Thanks for the responses all... Though not sure If you guys are making my decision easier or harder LOL

Moka

Enlightened
IIRC the newer T1s are 2 cell lights.

Scratch that then...

Heres the shortlist again...
  • HDS Twisty
  • Surefire E1B or E1L - Still need more info...
  • Fenix P2D Premium - even if there are so many modes :p
  • Wolf-Eyes Angel A
  • NightCore Extreme
Would love to hear from owners about the Wolf-eyes, Surefire and nightcore Torches...
Haven't decided yet... Need more opinions... lol (*Wishes there was a place Moka could go to try all these lights out*)

Last edited:

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I would definitely go with a surefire. E1L if you want to start on low, and the E1B if you want to start in high.

-Aaron

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm looks like the HDS moved up your list (I assume there was an order to it).

Anyway the HDS/Ra uses a Single LED for both white and red. It's not mentioned officially but it is programmable. So if you need 0.33LM low for white or want to stick with the red it's possible to switch between them if you get the TR models. I'm waiting for the clicky myself.

Another thing is with the Ra/HDS is the ability to use rechargeable batteries. Fenix and Surefire cannot or is not recommended. The Ra is also built like a tank.

But as you can see I own a bunch of HDS lights.