ADVICE NEEDED. 12V Bike headlight

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I am planning on building a headlight assembly for my dirtbike and need some advice. The bike had a 12V battery on it, and I can drain up to 20 Watts from it. I am looking at using 2 or 3 of these Drop in modules in a custom aluminum housing with a plexi-glass lens. Would these modules hold up? I like them because they already have the reflector and regulator (plus they are bright and cheap). Any recommendations on a different module?

12Johnny

Newly Enlightened
I am subscribing to the thread, as I was planning to use one of them as a "2nd brake light" in my motorcycle, and any info will be welcome! :)

mikeh

Newly Enlightened
Dirtbike? Doesn't that have an alternator?

What sort of custom housing?
Do you have the tools to make a good heatsink connection?
With 12V, it would probably be more efficient to run 3 LEDs in series with a single regulator. Does DX have a suitable regulator for that?

12Johnny

Newly Enlightened
Do you have the tools to make a good heatsink connection?

I guess that the Drop-in Modules he is talking about:

sku_11621_1.jpg

already have a heatsink? Would it be necessary to add "more heatsink"? :popcorn:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those ones will work great. The effectiveness of the enclosure at dissipating heat depends on its surface area and thermal connection to the dropins themselves.

With an optic instead fo the reflector, the emitter module threads into a M20x1 hole. A metal plate with an array of those holes in it would be effectively unbeatable in thermal transfer.

Here's
something like that that I built.

12Johnny

Newly Enlightened
What a sweet setup!!! :)

Photo0158sm.jpg

It is a really nice project, and I am sure that this information will be extremely helpful to michaelmcgo :thumbsup:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a sweet setup!!! :)

It is a really nice project, and I am sure that this information will be extremely helpful to michaelmcgo :thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words! :wave:

Oh, and michaelmcgo, 4 of those DX dropins represent a 20W draw.

Last edited: