Anyone tried this AAA LED Flashlight? ** Review **

dirobesh

Enlightened
Spot the mistake in the specs list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Looks pretty good for the price though.

Link *** EDIT **** This review has been removed (dirobesh)

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone tried this AAA LED Flashlight?

Yes, we took one apart and found that they copied an early version of our Arc-AAA PCB- mistakes and all. Made in China of course.

Btw, who do you think they are talking about when they say, "so unlike the competition, it's truly a magnificent mini light"?

Peter

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

peter, you should really look into this nechia brand led... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"With the most powerful LED on the market" haha!

Mrd 74

Enlightened

Xenon has one and is quite impressed with it,maybe he'll see this and tell you first hand. I'm going to get one as soon as it becomes available on this side of the pond,the price certainly is right.I wish my Arc AAA had a similar tailswitch,I'm just not a head-twisty kind of guy.

dirobesh

Enlightened

I've just ordered one - my ARC LE I got a week or so ago had a seriously lop sided led - It'll be interesting to compare the two models - I'll post some photos when I receive it.

dirobesh

Enlightened

Just posted a review and comparison with the ARC LE in the reviews section.

Xenon

Enlightened

Yes Mike, I am still very happy with this light. The useful tailswitch and the hefty brass body coupled with the low price makes this light worthwhile. It doesn't flickers too.

Peter, how do you take the head apart, interesting. Since they 'copied' your PCD design, you can copy their tailswitch too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It is spelled Nichia not "Nechia" on the package. Blame it on the person who created that page and not the manufacturer. And btw, its not aluminium but brass.

[ QUOTE ]
Mrd 74 said:
Xenon has one and is quite impressed with it,maybe he'll see this and tell you first hand. I'm going to get one as soon as it becomes available on this side of the pond,the price certainly is right.I wish my Arc AAA had a similar tailswitch,I'm just not a head-twisty kind of guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spidey82

Enlightened

I saw it a couple of wks ago. i was thinking that it is very worth it if it performs as well as my arc.
Xenon, u got it for 16plus SGD?
Linfeng

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

looks alright i suppose, but because it is copying arcs technology, it won't find it's way into my pocket.

dirobesh

Enlightened

Rothrandir - I understand your viewpoint completely, but decided that seeing as I'd already just purchased an ARC LE, I'd not be impacting upon Peter's sales. However, I had not considered any potential loss of revenue for Peter caused by my review, so if the moderators wish to remove it I'll be fine with that.

Could I also add that I'm not in favour of companies getting ripped off - If anyone wishes to purchase the rocket torch, can I also respectfully ask that they also purchase an ARC LE.

Xenon

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Spidey82 said:
I saw it a couple of wks ago. i was thinking that it is very worth it if it performs as well as my arc.
Xenon, u got it for 16plus SGD?
Linfeng

[/ QUOTE ]

I got it for about SGD15.00 at Challenger store in Funan. (Member price) But now out of stock.

DrAg0n

Banned

Challenger?

Hmmm....u sg guys know of any other places that sell Lights?

I only know Sng Arms and Sheares....

Spidey82

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
DrAg0n said:
Challenger?

Hmmm....u sg guys know of any other places that sell Lights?

I only know Sng Arms and Sheares....

[/ QUOTE ]
depends on wat type of lights u wana find.

B@rt

Flashaholic

I don't know about the Streamlight catalogue, but there are LED's in the 2003 SF one...

You can download it here .

Hope this helps,

arab

Enlightened

Like most, I abhor clones, cheap copies and anything that exists because of the illegal or immoral acquisition of somebody else's IPR. Having said that, there is a certain way of responding to such events, and I'm not sure this is evident from what I have seen in this thread. If the "Rocket Torch" is a cheap and nasty clone then let it stand or fall on it's own abilities.

From what I have seen in pictures and read from those who own it above, it doesn't sound that bad and certainly looks nothing like an ARC AAA. It's method of activation is also completely different. Peter - when you say they copied an earlier version of your AAA PCB, how can you be sure? Surely, DC-DC technology is not unique to ARC? I have a freelight that uses this technology and I know there are many other lights out there - either in existence or planned - that are so equipped. Are they clones also?

In any case, and regardless of whether or not Peter is right, I think the removal of a review by dirobesh and his comments "if the moderators wish to remove it I'll be fine with that" sound a bit like enforcement to me. Those of us who have been around here a bit have seen similar comments made about LRI in respect to Craig's review of some of their products and I don't think that exchange did them any good.

I would like to add that I am a customer of ARCs and respect their products and their customer service. I also think that they tend to have a disproportionate amount of QC issues (My own AAA LE has a badly - and visibly - offset LED and a poor machined finish in places) and perhaps a bit of competition might do them some good.

Just my 2 cents worth ...