How many states have you visited? Your favorite? Still want to see?

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
I was just looking at a United States map on my wall and counting the states I've visited. I'm a fireman and I have never traveled for a job so all my travels have been vacations. All total I've been in 23 states. I live in Mississippi but my favorite state by far is Maine. Out west is nice but the area of Maine around Allagash stole my heart. I still want to see Montana. I was just wondering everybody elses.

Norm

Retired Administrator
California, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nevada.
Looks like about 19, not too bad for a boy from OZ :)
Norm

Last edited:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
21 that stand out as having "visited", With others driven through enroute somewhere else. Maine was beautiful country, and plenty of interesting places I would like to see yet. 5 countries besides the US. Two more countries that I didn't see more than the airport on the way through. I got to drink Guinness in the airport in Ireland though so maybe I should count that as a half. ;)

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
I'm counting the ones I just drove through and also the ones where I only saw the airport. I figured that if I'd died at the airport my death certificate would list that state as the place I......expired. So technically I've been there. It's amazing how much there is to see right here in the CONUS. Texas for example, it's like a whole other country. I not only loved the wilderness of Maine, I loved the people there. They were so friendly and I would have felt safe letting my kids play outside at night. True story, I stopped at a yard sale on Highway 1 just south of Madawaska. Picked out a few things and got ready to pay, no one was outside. The money box was on the table with money in plain sight. I knocked on the door with no answer. I felt kind of uncomfortable, put the things down and left. I stopped at a small country store a few miles up the road to get a Moxie and told the attendant about the yard sale. She told me the people were at work and I was supposed to make change, pay and get what I wanted. Can you believe there is still this kind of place nowdays? That was only a few years ago. I can say with some degree of certainty, if someone left a yard sale unattended in rural southwest Mississippi where I live, when they come home the money box and all the stuff, including the tables would be gone.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
New York (obviously), New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Virginia are the ones I recall. Outside of the US Montreal, Canada (farthest I've ever been from NYC). I'm obviously not big on travel.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see...Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and Texas. That's about It.
Oregon is by far my favorite.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Driven through many (maybe about 36) but have stayed the night in:

Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Nevada, Texas, Georgia, Florida, California, Ohio, Vermont, Connecticut, Virginia, Maryland Pennsylvania, Georgia..

Maybe more but this heat is killin' me and the ole' brain has checked out :O)

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a kid I think I visited all 50 of them at least one time. My father for years would take 3 weeks off each summer and we would go on a trip, usually by car which took care of most of them. We would take different routes on the out bound and home bound trips to maximize the sights.

As an adult I have probably revisted a dozen, perhaps a few more of them with my wife. My favorite state would be Michigan where I live, but outside of Michigan I would say I enjoyed Arizona, especially the White Mountains area a lot.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I grew up in Vermont and have seen vegetable stands like that. The prices are posted and you're supposed to leave the money in a bucket and make your own change. Maybe they don't do that anymore, this was 30 years ago.

I'm counting the ones I just drove through and also the ones where I only saw the airport. I figured that if I'd died at the airport my death certificate would list that state as the place I......expired. So technically I've been there. It's amazing how much there is to see right here in the CONUS. Texas for example, it's like a whole other country. I not only loved the wilderness of Maine, I loved the people there. They were so friendly and I would have felt safe letting my kids play outside at night. True story, I stopped at a yard sale on Highway 1 just south of Madawaska. Picked out a few things and got ready to pay, no one was outside. The money box was on the table with money in plain sight. I knocked on the door with no answer. I felt kind of uncomfortable, put the things down and left. I stopped at a small country store a few miles up the road to get a Moxie and told the attendant about the yard sale. She told me the people were at work and I was supposed to make change, pay and get what I wanted. Can you believe there is still this kind of place nowdays? That was only a few years ago. I can say with some degree of certainty, if someone left a yard sale unattended in rural southwest Mississippi where I live, when they come home the money box and all the stuff, including the tables would be gone.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are still a few honor system farm markets near me in the Garden State. My favorite is one that has a slot in the door for the money because they have the best produce and [in season] the best apple cider. There is also a bee keeper that has a honey house that is honor system, and has great blueberry honey.

Favorite state: Vermont

Visited: NJ, NY, six New England states, PA, Virginia & W. Virginia, N & S Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Ohio, Illinios, Colorado & California [had a great honeymoon there].
[does Puerto Rico count]

Wish List: Hawaii & Oregon & New Mexico & Montana & Idaho

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've lead a very stationary life. Been to every New Englad state but RI, plus New York and New Jersey. That's about it. Probably not a big enough sampling to pick out a favorite, but I suppose I'd say coastal NH and ME overall. As far as ones I'd like to visit, well, nearly all of the rest.

My work is all very local and I don't vacation, other than once a year to the same place. I really need to set things up so I can take a long time off and go traveling.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure I've been in 47 at one time or another. The only ones I've definitely missed are Alaska and Hawaii. And I don't ever recall being in Maine. Growing up I lived in CA, IL, MA, NY, and finally TX. But we used to take driving vacations every summer so I hit a lot of states that way. The Navy took me to FL, ID, CT (but lived in RI), WA, and GA. Driving cross country between duty stations added a lot more states. Texas was the first place that really felt like home, but for the nicest place to visit I like the Yellowstone area.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was born in Alaska, so we won't count that one.

Washington (or "Warshington" ;))
Oregon
Michigan (Visited the city of Flint for several days in February 1997 to help somebody with his BBS.)
California

So that's four - again not counting where I was born.

My favourite state would probably have to be Washington.

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
Yeah I used to get around QUITE A BIT. Back then I made good money and could afford a vacation several times a year.

edited to avoid sounding like I was "whining"

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, South Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, Texas, California, Nevada. All of them more than once. And I live in Italy. :grin2:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I grew up in Vermont and have seen vegetable stands like that. The prices are posted and you're supposed to leave the money in a bucket and make your own change. Maybe they don't do that anymore, this was 30 years ago.
We have "u-pick" farms that work just like that out here in OR.