Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Duracell

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Eveready

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

jasonvk77

Newly Enlightened
What do you prefer in the NiteCore defender infinity:twothumbs.(primary cells only not rechargeable's)

Marduke

Flashaholic
The only acceptable primary is Energizer L91 lithiums

Using an alkaline in a high power light is plain old dumb unless you have NO choice

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
L91's all the way ..now when will the D version of that come out :twothumbs

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
not voting, i use exclusively 14500s in the NDI. Its the most efficient way to run it.

Crenshaw

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is only one answer to best primary, excluding all rechargeables. Energizer L91.
But I'm not voting either cause I'm convinced 14500's are best for this light. That's all I use.

JermsMalibu

Newly Enlightened
Duracells are my personal favorite for alkaline cells but since the L91s count as Enegizers for the poll, I had to vote for them.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to admit that I don't understand this poll. :thinking: I didn't think Duracell made anything to compete with Energizer's lithium AA. :shrug:

merlocka

Enlightened
If you are actually wanting some detail on the various alkaline types, here's a nice roundup (which doesn't see to include the Rayovac's that I typically use).

http://www.light-reviews.com/aa_shootout/review.html

I think the point was made already in this thread, though. In the grand scheme of primaries, the Energizer lithiums are mucho hugely better than any alkaline. That, plus the low self-discharge rechargeables such as 14500's or even Eneloops... well, the AA light crowd typically looks at alkaline batteries as last ditch emergency. In that case, the brand doesn't really matter... it's only going to be used long enough to find that stash of lithiums. I happen to buy Rayovac's in giant packs from Target. But if there are cells lying around, I'd pick the one that looks like it won't leak in my $70 AA flashlight. :)

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd never use an alkaline AA in a high performance flashlight unless it were a dire emergency... in which case I'd take anything I could get.
Energizer L91's are what I would vote for in the case of non-rechargeable.
But I'd rather just use rechargeables as they perform better than alkalines and cost less in the long run.
Yay for Eneloops!

kageneko

Newly Enlightened
I think pretty much the consensus is Energizer Lithiums for nonrechargeables, and Eneloops or other LSD brand for rechargeables. I personally use Eneloops for just about every non-remote control device in my house that takes AAs. Remotes don't care about efficiency, and regular alkaline batteries last a long time in those, so I don't want to waste the Eneloops in them. Flashlights, external recharge battery packs for my smartphone, etc... they get Eneloops.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know why my NDI makes a high pitch buzzing when i put any new AA into it?
It's just the regulator whine, it's normal. Mine does it too at times.

As for the original question: using primaries in such a high-draw light is a very bad idea unless you plan never to use it at full power.

DM51

Flashaholic
This thread is principally about batteries, so it should have been posted in the battery sub-forum. I'm moving it there now.