G2L or Tk10?

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
I am about to buy either a Surefire G2L or Fenix TK10 and just want to ask what others think about these two. In Australia the G2L is $122 and the TK10 is $78. The TK10 is brighter and has longer battery life and yet I like the simplicity in design of the G2L. What reasons are there to buy the Surefire over the Fenix?

cat

Enlightened
The feel - the feel of the Nitrolon.

Get the TK10 and a G3 incan. Then you can get a nice Lumens Factory HO-9 for the G3. (That's what I'd do. I've got the G3 with HO-9 and I wouldn't swap it for a G2L or a TK10.)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tk10, definetly..... two levels with 200+ lumens on high vs 85+ lumens single level. Aluminium vs Nitrolan. you should get the Tk10..

Crenshaw

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I think the TK10 seems like the practical choice, its hard to believe that a light that cost less than the G2L could actually be better though. I feel weird supporting a Chinese company over an American one though.

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
Would a TK10's extra brightness really be visible when compared next to a P3D? Or even a P2D for that matter? They are both smaller lights and that does appeal to me also.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
there nothing wrong with buying a chinese light. :) buy from www.fenix-store.com and youre still supporting some americans...

the brightness of the TK10 over the P2D should be pretty aparent. Over the P3D, not so much, but it should still be just visible.

Crenshaw

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would a TK10's extra brightness really be visible when compared next to a P3D? Or even a P2D for that matter? They are both smaller lights and that does appeal to me also.

The TK10 has a larger reflector so it will have a lot more throw than the P3D or P2D. So even if a P3D is close in total output (TK10 should have slightly more), the TK10's larger reflector focuses those lumens into a tighter and brighter hot spot. It comes down to what you want to do with the flashlight. The TK10 will be better for lighting things up at a distance, the P3D is better for evenly illuminating things at closer range.

rmorgan84

Newly Enlightened
I really quite want one of these TK10, but there is something in the back of my mind that is casting doubts over the quality and build quality.

It's completlely illogocal as i've got no reason to doubt it, can someone convince me that they are good quality prodcuts please!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I'm normally a SF supporter but, at those prices... I say TK10

I think both companies will back their products 100% in the event that they do fail. So I think your concerns about quality are not really that significant. Fenix has a representative here on CPF, who posts regularly. AFAIK Surefire does not.

Can I suggest a third option?

You can get a 6P on Ebay for around $40. Find a seller willing to ship to your country and youre in business. Drop in a malkoff M60 for $60 and you'll have an outstanding product. I am pretty sure Eugene ships internationally. IMHO that is a better option, if you want the quality-feel and heft of an all aluminum light.

G2L($122) -vs- TK10($78)... tough call, I'd go with the Fenix
Malkoff 6P($110) -vs- TK10($78)... pick em':twothumbs

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
Buy what you want. Don't try and overjustify a purchase. If you want a G2L, but on paper the TK10 looks better, chances are you will still want the G2L after the purchase. [So get both!!:whistle:]

kageneko

Newly Enlightened
I'm normally a SF supporter but, at those prices... TK10 by a land-slide.

To the OP, You might want to look at the spreadsheet I posted in this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199333

where I was comparing various tactical use flashlights. I compared about 24 flashlights, including the TK10, the P3D Q5, the Olight T20/T25, various surefires, etc. It may help you with your decision. For me, it was for a specific need, but the spreadsheet is general enough and compares a lot of different factors for every light on the list.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lev from Armageddon in an annoyed voice "American Components, Russian Components! All made in Taiwan!"

just go by reviews , plenty of positives in some chinese based lights ...its the knockoffs and cheapies you have to watch out for like dx&kd but even there you may find a gold nugget once in a while

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
Surefire. It's a little more money, but comes with a lifetime warranty.

Not to mention you can upgrade the lamp/LED modules as time goes on and brighter ones show up on the market.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Surefire. It's a little more money, but comes with a lifetime warranty.

Not to mention you can upgrade the lamp/LED modules as time goes on and brighter ones show up on the market.

Fenix also comes with a lifetime warrenty, if your buy from Fenix-store.

With upgrades you have to watch the price, some upgrades are close to a new light in price.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the TK-10 and a 6P with a Cree R2. I like the feel and the "Surefire-ness" of the 6P but if you dont want to go that route get the TK10. you cant go wrong, no chance. plus the Fenix-store guys seriously rock

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

yes but i wouldnt get the G2L for that purpose, i think a 6P or C2 would be more dignified for that..:D

Crenshaw

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am about to buy either a Surefire G2L or Fenix TK10 and just want to ask what others think about these two. In Australia the G2L is $122 and the TK10 is $78. The TK10 is brighter and has longer battery life and yet I like the simplicity in design of the G2L. What reasons are there to buy the Surefire over the Fenix?
What reasons are there to buy the Surefire over the Fenix?

- It's totally modular: you can upgrade it with any incandescent P60 compatible lamp assembly or LED drop-in. You can replace the tailcap, bezel, body tube, basically everything.

- It's a SureFire! Nuff' said!! they got your back during your whole lifetime.

- It's made in the good ole USA, so you know you are not supporting the Communist's Red Army.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
fenix is not a commy red army they are flashoholics just like us :D