Solarforce L2 = Spiderfire L2

Wolf359

Enlightened
just recieved several spiderfire L2 and they are identical to my solarforce L2's except for the printing naturally. takes both trustfire and ultrafie RCR123's & ultrafire 17670 protected cells fit no problems. it takes all the P60 modules i have with no gaps. fit and finish are excellent as per normal no lube on the threads.

i bought the Xenon version for $11.49 buy it now from hkequipment on ebay ordered 27-May-08 arrived 10-June-08 ~(HK to UK). got them as hosts for my spare P60 modules.

they offer a 2 mode switch as a option but i got the single mode version. dam good host for P60 modules with RCR123 and 17670.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isthereanybodyoutthere

Newly Enlightened
Forward clicky ,,or backwards

Let me guess backwards
moz-screenshot.jpg
:mecry:

Where can i get a Forward clicky for a solar L2

HunkaBurninLove

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Spiderfire w/R2 from hkequipment and it arrived a few days ago.
Been playing around with it for a few days and have been very satisfied with it. A good feel and threads feel nice on it. Let me say that I don't have a Solarforce to compare.

I don't want to go into the debate of "real versus clone" but so far it's been a pleasant surprise. The real test will be how it holds up under everyday use.

Oh...it's a reverse clicky :shakehead

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
I just received a Solarforce L2 with R2 Cree. Got it from 'itc_shop' on eBay; shipping was much slower and more expensive than another light purchased on the same day from 'hkequipment'; I realize that some sellers lower the price of some of their items and then make up the difference in shipping.:banghead:

The eBay listing claims 295 lumens. That seems high. In comparison to my older model Malkoff the brightness is fairly comparable, the color a little whiter but the beam is ringier (if that's a word).

For the price it's a pretty good light, shipping, again, seemed high.

The only 'issue' I have is the color is supposed to be 'sand' but it looks more 'Gold' to me.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I bought a Spiderfire w/R2 from hkequipment and it arrived a few days ago.
Been playing around with it for a few days and have been very satisfied with it. A good feel and threads feel nice on it. Let me say that I don't have a Solarforce to compare.

I don't want to go into the debate of "real versus clone" but so far it's been a pleasant surprise. The real test will be how it holds up under everyday use.

Oh...it's a reverse clicky :shakehead

One light is not a clone of the other. Both of them are the same light with different brands printed on them. And most likely made by the same company in China. They're both SF 6P Defender clones with reverse clickies.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah from what I heard, Solarforce makes these for Spiderfire. None the less, I have said all along that this is an excellent Surefire 6P clone. They're actually quite well made and the Xenon version that ebay dealer hkequipment sells for $15 shipped is one heck of a deal.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah from what I heard, Solarforce makes these for Spiderfire. None the less, I have said all along that this is an excellent Surefire 6P clone. They're actually quite well made and the Xenon version that ebay dealer hkequipment sells for $15 shipped is one heck of a deal.

We'll see.

I have a Solarforce L2 host on the way, along with their R2 LED drop-in. I'll see how well the L2 compares to my SF 6P.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
We'll see.

I have a Solarforce L2 host on the way, along with their R2 LED drop-in. I'll see how well the L2 compares to my SF 6P.

As I've said before that being an owner of several Surefire 6Ps and Solarforce L2s, I feel I have a good perspective of these flashlights.

While the Solarforce L2 is of surprisingly good quality when compared to other china made flashlights that cost more then it, the overall product quality of a Surefire is still better without question. Although I have read many times here before how some feel a well equipped Solarforce L2 (with R2 dropin and Stainless Steel Bezel) that costs around the same as a standard Surefire 6P is better. But everyone's going to have an opinion, it's part of what we discuss here and that's the way it should be as far as I'm concerned.

bspofford

Enlightened
. . .the overall product quality of a Surefire is still better without question

I own multiple copies of each and would seriously question this statement. With a total investment of under $50, I would like to make the following observations. IMHO, the construction and finish of the Solarforce equals that of the Surefire. Solarforce AR glass is better than Surefire Pyrex. Solarforce forward and reverse clickies are better than Surefire twisty switches. Solarforce stainless steel bezels are better than Surefire's plain ring. Lastly, any of Solarforce P60 modules including the single and five-mode Q5 or R2 modules is better than a Surefire xenon bulb.

streetmaster

Enlightened
First of all, SpiderFire is made in the same factory as SolarForce. I was told that by one of the big eBay SolarForce/SpiderFire vendors. Second, I have both a SureFire 6P Xenon (with DX R2 drop-in) and a SolarForce L2 with a P4 drop-in. I really like both lights for different reasons. I like the SureFire because.. well.. it's a SureFire. The quality is top notch. I also like the SolarForce because the quality is very good, maybe just a hair less than the SureFire. I would say they both are so close in quality that it should not be the deciding factor between the two. Considering the price difference, I would recommend the SolarForce for anyone just looking for one flashlight. On the other hand, everyone should own a SureFire if they can afford it. I hope that made sense.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own multiple copies of each and would seriously question this statement. With a total investment of under $50, I would like to make the following observations. IMHO, the construction and finish of the Solarforce equals that of the Surefire. Solarforce AR glass is better than Surefire Pyrex. Solarforce forward and reverse clickies are better than Surefire twisty switches. Solarforce stainless steel bezels are better than Surefire's plain ring. Lastly, any of Solarforce P60 modules including the single and five-mode Q5 or R2 modules is better than a Surefire xenon bulb.

I believe we share similar opinions here and I have always been a big supporter of the Solarforce L2. I still personally give the quality nod to a Surefire 6P, but in no way am I putting down the Solarforce L2 by saying that.

First of all, SpiderFire is made in the same factory as SolarForce. I was told that by one of the big eBay SolarForce/SpiderFire vendors. Second, I have both a SureFire 6P Xenon (with DX R2 drop-in) and a SolarForce L2 with a P4 drop-in. I really like both lights for different reasons. I like the SureFire because.. well.. it's a SureFire. The quality is top notch. I also like the SolarForce because the quality is very good, maybe just a hair less than the SureFire. I would say they both are so close in quality that it should not be the deciding factor between the two. Considering the price difference, I would recommend the SolarForce for anyone just looking for one flashlight. On the other hand, everyone should own a SureFire if they can afford it. I hope that made sense.

Actually none of my 6Ps are stock and in truth, the only part of the regular 6P that I've used is just the body. I've got all Solarforce Stainless Steel bezeled heads on 2 of my 6Ps (one is a 6P Defender), a Z59 tailcap on one standard 6P and a Leaf McClicky on another 6P. I simply love the format for it's versatility. I've also got Leaf Grips on 5 of my 6Ps and L2s. I know the twisty tailcap of the stock 6P is considered extremely reliable, but all mines are in storage because I prefer clicky switches.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I own a Solarforce L600. The Surefire model that it closely compares with is the M4.

My L600, in terms of quality, is junk. Yes, it's very bright. Not even close to 600 lumens. More like the LOLA found in the M4, but with more sidespill. The momentary tailcap switch on my L600 is hard as a rock. I have No-Name lights with better switches.

Solarforce used cork as one of the components inside the L600. Yup.... cork. That's something I've never encountered before. The handful of cheap, No-Name lights that I own don't even use cork.

Comparable to Surefire quality?.... My No-Name lights blow away Solarforce, in terms of quality.

Why did I buy an L2?.... Well, if it turns out to be as bad as my L600, I can break up the light and use the individual parts for future projects.

generic808

Enlightened

Do you actually own a Surefire? :confused:

The Surefire 6P has higher density than the Solarforce L2, and the finishing of the 6P is clearly superior. The 6P also comes with a lifetime warranty. I would much rather buy a discounted 6P off the net with a DX-R2 drop in than a Solarforce L2 any day.

streetmaster

Enlightened
The Surefire 6P has higher density than the Solarforce L2, and the finishing of the 6P is clearly superior. The 6P also comes with a lifetime warranty. I would much rather buy a discounted 6P off the net with a DX-R2 drop in than a Solarforce L2 any day.
I agree with you 100%. A 6P can be bought on eBay for less than $50 delivered. I know because that's where I got mine. I only paid $44 for mine(can be had for less if you're good at bidding, I've seen one go for $33 delivered), brand new in factory sealed packaging, added a DX R2 drop-in for $13.74 and now I have a supreme quality light that's super bright. It's my best and favorite light at the moment. My second favorite is my L2 with the tactical bezel and P4 drop-in. I don't know if I'll ever have a reason to use the defensive bezel, but it just looks cool anyway. I paid $36 for it, which included the L2 w/crenelated bezel, P4 drop-in, 2x RCR123's(3.0v), charger, and holster. I would have to say that's a pretty damn good deal. And I am perfectly happy with the quality of everything included. No, it's not a SureFire, but for someone who's on a tight budget, it's a very good compromise that doesn't make you feel like you got ripped off. I still like the SureFire better, but that doesn't make me like the SolarForce any less. It is what it is, a SureFire clone. And a pretty good one at that.

btw, the guy I bought from has 4 6P's up right now. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by saying that.:whistle:You can probably also find one for sale in the MarketPlace if you look hard enough :naughty:

Last edited:

bspofford

Enlightened
Do you actually own a Surefire? :confused:

Yes, I bought three at $42 each. I replaced the xenon bulb with an R2 module from DX when it was about $13. I tried to upgrade the tailcap with a clicky switch that cost $35 then decided to get a Solarforce clicky tailcap for $10. The Surefire tailcap was impossible to work on, and I cursed their "patented" design. I also bought UCL glass to replace the Pyrex and a stainless steel bezel made by Solarforce. A hundred dollars later, I realized that the aluminum battery tube and head made by Solarforce were just as good, and the flashlight as I configured it could be bought for $40, or about $100 less.