Caving around NY ?

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wanted to try out caving, does anyone know a place that's good for beginners (tour guide) and within 3-hour drive from NYC?

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
:lolsign: NYC sewer tour sounds great.

Have you been to any of the caves listed there? Any one you recommend?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
no i havent been to any yet but i will be well prepared if i do :candle::D

G1K

Newly Enlightened
I've been to Howe and Lockport Caves. Neither are anything like Mammoth Caves in KY. Howe is a bit bigger and offers guided tours only. Some very neat things to see there, and some narrow passages. I visited the Lockport caves for Halloween, hey put on a great haunted tour including a boat tour at the end. Overall, not as good as Howe. Personally, I wouldn't plan a long trip to see either, but if you're in the area... R

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys for the reply. I really want to go to Mammoth cave one of these days.

Normally, I wouldn't mind driving up to 6 hours away from where I live to explore places, but it's not really an option now with the insanely high gas price.

I'll look up other caverns, but I may just end up going to Howe and explore. Something about caves that fascinates me.

Marduke

Flashaholic
You live in a city with a HUGE underground history. There is a lot to see with legal Urban Exploring. There should be a number of local UE groups that you could join, and they should know places to explore which are legal.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that info Marduke. I didn't know about that. Time to google some stuff up.

You live in a city with a HUGE underground history. There is a lot to see with legal Urban Exploring. There should be a number of local UE groups that you could join, and they should know places to explore which are legal.