Reason number 1038 to have a light in your pocket

Katdaddy

Enlightened
Last night my wife was telling me about a coworker of hers who was bitten by a cooperhead moccasin over the weekend. It seems he was at a friends house and was leaving after dark. Walking to his car he stepped on the snake, which he did not see in the dark. He was bitten on both legs and spent several days in the hospital. He is still walking with the help of crutches. A flashlight would have prevented that.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night my wife was telling me about a coworker of hers who was bitten by a cooperhead moccasin over the weekend. It seems he was at a friends house and was leaving after dark. Walking to his car he stepped on the snake, which he did not see in the dark. He was bitten on both legs and spent several days in the hospital. He is still walking with the help of crutches. A flashlight would have prevented that.
I had a run in with an Eastern Diamond one night, but I saw him first with my SF/6P!

chiphead

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

So which snake was it? A copperhead or a water moccasin. I've never heard of a cooperhead moccasin before.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
It was probably a water moccasin because copperhead venom is the least potent of all the north american pit vipers, and would be unlikley to send a healthy person to the hospital overnight much less three days.

Copperhead bite would be a trip to the emergency room if you even bothered to go.

Believe it or not, Benadryl is the best medicine for a copperhead bite.

My dog was bitten by one last summer and I spent $500 taking him to the emergency vet and all they gave him was Benadryl! Now I keep a big bottle of children's benadryl to pour down his throat in case it happens again. . . .

Last week, I caught another copperhead in my yard and moved him to a nearby nature preserve. . .

Katdaddy

Enlightened
they have something called a COOPerhead moccasin there?

My dog took one to the muzzle, it just had some swelling but went down in a few days and was good as new.
I'm really feeling the love in this thread! Typing class was over 30 years ago, OK.
I'm sorry I posted this one. I will contact the coworker and inform him that the experts on CPF have declared him a wimp for having to go to the hospital as a result of his encounter with the snake, whatever it may have been.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really feeling the love in this thread! Typing class was over 30 years ago, OK.
I'm sorry I posted this one. I will contact the coworker and inform him that the experts on CPF have declared him a wimp for having to go to the hospital as a result of his encounter with the snake, whatever it may have been.

But if he died or suffered permanent consequences he would be an idiot for not seeking medical treatment. :thinking:

Triple A

Newly Enlightened

Don't let it get to you! You love flashlights, and had an instant appreciation for how much it would have helped if he had one with him at the time!! This is how we spread the love- one flashlight story at a time. Give that guy a flashlight, and he'll probably never leave the house again without it. (Unless he just likes to be bitten by, well, snakes of some sort that at least hurt terribly.)

You can spend $50,000 a year to go back to school so that you never make a snake ID error again. But I would strongly suggest not worrying about it, letting the experts ID them for you, and just spending the money on an ever increasing flashlight collection. Now THAT's what I call feelin' the love....:)

maxa beam

Banned
Nice story.
I was stung in the foot by a highly poisonous scorpion once- it had made a home in my boot.

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
Nice story.
I was stung in the foot by a highly poisonous scorpion once- it had made a home in my boot.

Yipes- Glad you are still with us!

I trained as a wilderness EMT about 10 years ago, and during training learned that one of the most common times people are bitten by brown recluse spiders is in outhouses, where spiders spin their webs to capture flies feasting on the, well, goodies at the bottom of the outhouse. Since that day in class, and because you can imagine where many of these skin damaging bites occur:eek::eek::eek:, I carry about 25 flashlights with me for any nighttime latrine visits!!!!

husky20

Banned
If i get bit by a rattle snake im definantly going straight to the hospital i dont think taking benadrly is good advice at all!you need anti venom or you could cause permanent damage or death.and there are a lot of snakes where i live i see them all the time.:eek:

Last edited:

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
If i get bit by a rattle snake im definantly going straight to the hospital i dont think taking benadrly is good advice at all!you need anti venom or you could cause permanent damage or death.and there are a lot of snakes where i live i see them all the time.:eek:

+1 Antivenom!