Max Flood 4D LED

3DMagMod

Newly Enlightened
If this has been covered, my apologies - please post a link to the thread.

I have a 4D body I want to make into a maximum flood LED light. I've seen lights with multiple LEDs on a board with no reflector that seemed to be built for this purpose, but I haven't seen those in a while and can't find them again. I want to stand in the doorway to a room and light the whole room with as few rings/artifacts as possible.

So... what would you recommend?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Either that or a good diffuser.

I don't recall seeing any recent full flood drop-ins except the 4 Seoul P7 drop-in that Elektrolumens had.

Illum

Flashaholic
Unscrew the bezel from your Maglite, remove the reflector, and reattach the bezel.

Thank god magLEDs don't use side emitters:nana:

Maxmmum flood usually requires some sort of custom heatsink stool to raise the light source [LED or incandescent] closer to the bezel window without actually touching the glass. If your doing it the cheapest way possible, I'd recommend some 3M clear scotch tape over the bezel and focus your maglite to spot:wave:

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried removing the reflector from a stock Argo HP, which uses a side emitter, and it was quite dim. Lambertian all the way! :)

For my EZ-Dim build, I applied two layers of Press 'n' Seal at right angles to each other for a circular, floody beam. It works great! +1 for diffusers.

3DMagMod

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the tips. Taking the reflector out kinda works, but it gave me more just a ugly spot and sidespill rather than a smooth flood.

The WOF looks perfect, just a little more than I want to spend on this project. I'm not trying to go cheap, but $300 is a little much. Keep the tips coming, please!

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a light diffusing lens from flashlightlens.com. They have glass and plastic

bxstylez

Enlightened
Thanks for all the tips. Taking the reflector out kinda works, but it gave me more just a ugly spot and sidespill rather than a smooth flood.

The WOF looks perfect, just a little more than I want to spend on this project. I'm not trying to go cheap, but $300 is a little much. Keep the tips coming, please!

he also carries a $200 model over at ...
Wall-of-Fire 2xP7, 1,800 lumens
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=178828