Best home for an EverLED again....

robk

Enlightened
I know it's been discussed, but now that about 1000 of the EverLEDs have been sold (judging by order #), what is everybody using for them? I had mine in a PT40, it works, but it has issues (bulb sits too far forward in reflector, not too nice beam). I prefer AA power cause I have about 80 NiMH AA's. I tried it in a lot of different lights, some were real crummy, some were fair. I found an old 2D Duracell Durabeam in the garage, and it is brighter than the PT40 (makes no sense) and the throw is greater with a nice beam shape, although it has some dark rings in the outer area. I hate the Durabeam, it's ugly and bulky, but the EverLED seems to like it! I don't want to put it in a Mag, what else will result in a good beam?
Thanks,
Rob

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I just posted my experiences in the big thread, I would like to know of a light that focuses the beam down as tight as a mag does but with a smoother hotspot. The hotspot beam quality of the everled in my mag is not that much superior to the incandescent it replaces. I am talking about the beam characteristics only, not color which of course I have seen none better then the everled.

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure which Mag you have in mind, but when comparing with the EverLED the Brinkman 3D definately has a superior hotspot to the Mag 3D, with no rings or dead zone. The Brinkster has one fat ring in the corona while in spot mode, however.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the Playskool Color Glow Flashlight takes a PR bulb? This might be a good host, for a kid, of course. Turns off in a couple of minutes if you let go of the switch on the underside of the handle, and has switchable green and red filters built in.
I think also one of those 3 LED PR bulbs would work well in it.

00144_imageMain400.JPG

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about getting one and putting it in a Mag 3 C, as I hear it is brighter in a 3 cell light than it is in a 2 cell light. 2-3 C cell Mags are a very manageable size light.
I just can't keep from thinking that my Madmax is a 1 Watt Luxeon, and in the size of a Mini-Mag. I put it in my pocket.
I would like to see beamshots comparing an EverLED in a Mag 3 cell, a Mag 2 cell, and a Madmax or Badboy or Inretech or Illpill, any of the 2 AA cell Mini-Mag mods.

I would definitely get one and put it in a Mag if I used it a LOT, everyday, and I needed the additional runtime.

K A

Enlightened
I got my EverLED today. *woot!* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif The only PR bulb light I have at the moment is my Energizer Hardcase Lantern .

WARNING!

It is REVERSE polarity (- on tip, + on side) and will kill your EverLED if you try it!

Since it is reverse polarity a small bit of rewiring took care of that. The battery holder has protection against putting the batteries in backwards.. didn't feel like breaking the plastic things off. The reflector is the funky orange peel at the bottm (if that's what it's called) and smooth reflector on the top. It produces essentially the same beam pattern as the krypton bulb in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif I was hoping for something better.

It produces a nice whiteish light though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

... EDIT ...

I remembered I did have another PR bulb light! My trusty B&D Versapak SnakeLight. I like this because of the handy flood it produces, great for closeup work. The Versapaks are 3.6v NiCd cells. SUPPOSEDLY with no memory effect. I was messing with them last week after not having used the light OR the batteries in a while (also have a cordless screwdriver I use with the batteries). Charging the batteries overnight yielded 2 of them having ~2.8v. 1 of the cells at 3.8v and the other cell I forget.

The center of the cell is + while the outer shell is -. I forgot to check to make sure the contacts for the light were correct before I turned it on, but the Everled light up perfectly.

I have no idea of the capacity of these Versapak's. The snakelight is a great doner to use for the Everled, but since it uses rechareable batteries, its not perfect for the emergancy outage. Since I would have to make sure the batteries where charged all the time and such.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like Energizer is wiring a lot of their lights backwards. I've already posted about my experience with the 2 in 1 flashlight/lantern. It's also got a great reflector and makes a terrific beam, but it's backwards and will eat EverLED's!

K A

Enlightened
I tested the EverLED and the original Krypton. For closeup work.. both lights produce a tight spot which will provide lots of light, doesnt have any dark shadows in the spot. As a flood up close it sucks with both bulbs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif Visually the Krypton beats the EverLed in light output. Possibly due to the yellowish light of the krypton compared do the white of the led.

I was kinda hoping for a good flood with a bit of a spot. Both the original Kyrpton and the EverLED produce a bit of flood, but mostly a tight hotspot. The beam is nonadjustable, as the bulb is secured to the reflector portion with a screw on connector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Next test was throw. Both bulbs throw great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif If the air was just a bit hazier I could have had the nice beams being projected like the kind in XFiles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Both bulbs could illuminate the tops of trees at least 50ft away (a good estimate at least.) You could see the hotspot from the EverLED. But again the winner is the krypton bulb as you could see a hotspot and a bit of flood around it.

So the Energizer Hardcase Lantern will work with a bit of modding to reverse the polarity, the clear winner is to use the krypton bulb in it. Its OK up close and great to throw a spot a good ways away. I will keep the original Krypton in it for the better light output. Though I could use the EverLED in it and have a longer runtime. So its essentially a tradeoff. Runtime vs light output.

If I could modify it so the polarity was permanently reversed I could get a spare everled and leave it in the spare bulb carrier. Hmm... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Though for now I need to find a regular flashlight as we really do need one for around the house...

Wylie

Enlightened
I'll let you know how it goes with the Responder. I should have my EverLeds Monday. I bought a cheap little Wenzel flashlight/lantern combo that has a terrible beam but throws like a little champ. It is going to be interesting to see how the EverLed cleans up the beam on this little jalopy, or not.