Duty remote Q5 led (lots of pics)

12Johnny

Newly Enlightened
I had no idea how could I call this light, so I used the expression "Duty remote Q5 led". It does not help that I am not a native English speaker... :mecry: In Spanish, I would call it "luz de led Q5 frontal con conexión remota", which is not a direct translation ;)

The first time that I saw a Q5 led (in this forum :)) I was impressed, as having so much light from a so tiny thing was awesome... it looked like a small button to me, so I thought: "wouldn't it be great if we had this led in the pocket of a shirt, for instance?" :D

Then, a friend of mine who works in Law Enforcement needed a flood light, to be used when he issues tickets on the road, given that he needs both hands to write the ticket, hold the documents, etc... :thinking:

He liked the concept of the Zebralight, but he wanted to use a 18650 battery (perhaps there are Zebralights with this battery? I don't remember...) and most of all, he needed something that "blended" in the uniform, when not in use. Then, I searched in the forum, trying to find something like that, and given that I was not lucky, I offered him to "build" a light with this purpose on mind. It was fun!! :grin2:

This is how this light looks when it is "off"

And when you turn on the flashlight, it looks like that:

I have no beamshots, but you all know how a Q5 led without reflector illuminates the whole area in front of the user. I love this technology!! :thumbsup:

This is what I used to make this light:

As you can see, it was a shampoo plastic bottle, an old cell phone charger, and a Q5 led. Also, it does not appear in the picture, but I purchased a Romisen DX flashlight, sku 7934:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7934

(it was one of the cheapest/simplest flashlights able to use 18650 batteries)

In my particular case, I had to cut a piece of the plastic cap, so that it looked like that:

And then, with a step drill bit, I opened the hole a little bit:

so that the led fits like a glove!

This is how it looks from behind. Totally flat:

Then, I opened a hole in one of the sides of the cap, and introduced the charger cable, soldering the led wires.

Another view:

I needed a heatsink, so I used a piece of an aluminum handlebar, and another piece of aluminum that I had laying around:

This is how it would go:

To "hold" the heatsink I used the "heatsink compound" from DX, as I have no arctic lumina or similar...

To "wear" the light on the uniform, I thought that it would be a good idea to use one of the DX "rare earth" magnets, so that one can place another magnet in the interior of the jacket, etc. It will look like that:

And I used some epoxy resin to stick the magnet:

And now it comes when I dissasembled the flashlight:

In this project, I intended to remove the glass, and place a black plastic in its place. I used the glass as a template, and then:

With the step drill bit, I opened a hole, off-centered, so that the flap of the flashlight holder would close better:

And assembled it again, reusing the O-ring:

And now I de-soldered the wires from the led:

Removed the led (no harm was done to the led :grin2: ), and soldered the new wires:

(I did not take a picture of how the wires look with some shrink tube to protect them)

A couple of extra pics:

I hope that this can "inspire" you to create a better solution, as I am sure that there are lots of flaws in my design :popcorn:

This light does not replace a conventional flashlight (my friend always carry a regular one in his duty belt :) ), but it helps with some "flood light", inside a vehicle, searching something, etc, and of course, it is "portable", so that you can take the led from your chest, and use it as a regular flashlight, with lots of reach! :)

Notes:

* The user may use a cheapo holster to carry the flashlight, with the lower part open, so that he/she may turn on the light without taking the flashlight out of the holster.

* I need to improve this design, so that the led is a little bit recessed in its cap/host, to avoid any glare in the user. I am thinking about it these days... :whistle:

* If I were to do this today, instead of a Q5 I would have used a P7, as its "wall of light" must be really awesome!!!!! In that case, I guess that it would be necessary to use a bigger "host" for the led, in order to use a bigger heatsink :whistle:

Thanks for the great forum! :wave:

12Johnny

Newly Enlightened
Update! ;)

Well, the current "model" glared mi friends' eyes a little bit, so we had to do something about it! :crackup:

Given that Law Enforcement Officers use to carry in their duty belt their radios with an external mic, my friend got a "spare" microphone where I concealed the Q5 led :twothumbs

I removed the internals of the mic, making a much bigger aluminum heatsink, and installed a kind of soft plastic "cover" to avoid the glare ;)

3 pictures say more than 1000 words, so here we go:

(the flashlight holster is from DX)

176dyc.jpg

6z11l4.jpg

Thanks for viewing! :)

Last edited:

12Johnny

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! :) And it's really easy and affordable. As the Geico ad: "even a noob like myself can do it" :thumbsup:

sadtimes

Enlightened
I think thats its a novel idea..

just worries me that the light on his chest is a bullet magnet, gives them something to aim for... we dont need to make it easier for them!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think thats its a novel idea..

just worries me that the light on his chest is a bullet magnet, gives them something to aim for... we dont need to make it easier for them!

I think this is a light that will only be on during fairly safe times such as when paperwork is being done.

Jumi

Enlightened
This looks great.

Does it get hot in longer use?

Whats current draw?

Does it glare your frieds eyes when in use?

Juha

horizonseeker

Enlightened
since you have areas surrounding the LED, a quick fix for glare could be just a partial cover epoxied directly above the led. kinda like the deflector that comes std with zebralight but more ghetto.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is a very nice mod, and a really good concept. :clap:

The only concern is that even driven at 350 mA it would get too hot too quick...

12Johnny

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much to all! :thumbsup:

I am happy that you liked the idea, and I hope that it helps you to design cool "chest", or "helmet" or "whatever" lights! :twothumbs

In relation to your suggestions (thanks to all again!):

I think this is a light that will only be on during fairly safe times such as when paperwork is being done.

You both are correct, as this light will only be used when doing paperwork, inspecting places where there is no danger of other individuals shooting, etc. Happily, here in Spain there are not so many firearms in the streets :rolleyes:

Does it get hot in longer use?

I have tried it for several minutes, and it does not feel warm at all... there is a lot of light, but perhaps the driver of this flashlight does not provides full power to the led? :confused:

Whats current draw?

I have no idea... I am an absolute noobie in these things, and I have no idea how I could do it... I have one of these things:

92020.gif

(not the one in the picture, from Harbor Freight, but similar. Mine was purchased in Spain, and it came without an user's manual) but I have downloaded HF's manual from their website, and I will try to understand how it works :confused:)

Does it glare your frieds eyes when in use?

I understand that you would like to know if it glare other people's eyes, when they stare at the person wearing the light? If I am correct --> A LOT!!! It is impossible for other persons to see the officer/user's face when the led is "on", which is a very good thing, in my opinion :thumbsup:

If you refer to the eyes of the holder of the light, it depends on the position of the led, and how the user positions his/her head, eyes, etc, but given that there is always room for improvement, to avoid possible glares:

since you have areas surrounding the LED, a quick fix for glare could be just a partial cover epoxied directly above the led. kinda like the deflector that comes std with zebralight but more ghetto.

Great idea!!! I have some PVC tubes laying around, and I will make a small "cover", as it is an urgent improvement... I will post some pics if I am successful, and the epoxy works :thumbsup:

The only concern is that even driven at 350 mA it would get too hot too quick...

Given that I have not made a full test, at the same time that I am writing this, I have just turned it on, and after some minutes I will update you on the temperature of the thing :)

Note: Given that I do not have a professional thermometer, I am using one very similar to this one:

35593.gif

"placing" the remote sensor with some tape in the surroundings of the heatsink, where I sticked the magnet.

My room's temperature is this moment 25º Celsius (about 77ºF), and let's see how much the temperature increases!! After 20 minutes, the pill's temperature is 37ºC (98ºF), which is barely warm. I will write you all again in some minutes! :thumbsup:

12Johnny

Newly Enlightened
At the same time that I am writing this, I have just turned it on, and after some minutes I will update you on the temperature of the thing :)

Update: After 40 minutes "on", the rear of the cap/magnet assembly has reached a maximum temperature of 42º Celsius (107º Farenheit). I can touch it with my fingers, and even with my lips, but it definitely feels warm ;)

Then, if these measurements are correct, perhaps the led could be turned "on" for a long time without worries? :thinking:

Note: I have taken the temperature in the magnet, which is "epoxied" to the heatsink --> then, perhaps the heatsink's temperature is higher? :naughty:

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried it for several minutes, and it does not feel warm at all... there is a lot of light, but perhaps the driver of this flashlight does not provides full power to the led? :confused:

BE CAREFUL!!! If you don't feel it warm it could be because the heat is not coming out!!! For example, if you make a 15 Watt LED with wood you will never feel it warm, but the LEDS would be cooking!!

Check the current.

Javier

12Johnny

Newly Enlightened
BE CAREFUL!!! If you don't feel it warm it could be because the heat is not coming out!!! For example, if you make a 15 Watt LED with wood you will never feel it warm, but the LEDS would be cooking!!

Check the current.

Javier

Thanks! When I wrote "for some minutes" I was meaning to 2 or 3 minutes, and perhaps it was too little time to feel it warm... given that after some more minutes it does get warm, as I indicated:

Update: After 40 minutes "on", the rear of the cap/magnet assembly has reached a maximum temperature of 42º Celsius (107º Farenheit). I can touch it with my fingers, and even with my lips, but it definitely feels warm ;)

let's hope that it is a good sign! :)

12Johnny

Newly Enlightened
:wave:

Just a brief message to let you know that I have just updated the 2nd post with the new design of this "paperwork" light: :)

img7070er1.jpg

Scattergun

Enlightened
Heat shouldn´t be all that big an issue if current is kept low. I made a headlamp with a Q5 at 1A, and the heatsink was made out of two swedish five kronors-coins... no heatproblem even for extended periods of running it.
And that looong cord between the driver and the LED should help keeping current low.

Last edited: