Petzl Duo Reflector Mod

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened
The Garrity Tuff Lite AA has a facetted reflector that, with only a little modification, drops into the Petzl Duo, in front of the stock reflector on the halogen side, and eliminates the yucky rings while in halogen spot mode.

Actually I had a much more detailed review of this mod, but my text somehow got zonked at the last minute. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I hope to follow up with some how-tos and photos.

Also I want to do a mini-review of Petzl's "Modu'L.E.D. 8 Duo." This 8 LED replacement module for the stock incandescent bulb in the Duo is GREAT (. . . .despite the awkward marketing name.) You can move through three brightness levels by quick-switching; also has an emergency default ultra-low that can last 36 hours. Hope to get the review out before some CPFer beats me to it.

Rings will still crop up following the mod if you try and flood with halogen, but halogen flood is pointless when you have 8 LEDs at your fingertips.

To sum up, the facetted reflector mod plus the 8 LED drop in is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Now all I need is a more powerful halogen bulb that won't fry or melt the Duo. . . .anybody done this?

P.S. At $5.99 the Garrity Tuff Lite makes a cheap and expendable donor!

P.P.S. Oopps! Should have posted this in the Modified and Homemade section. Mr. or Mrs. Moderator, could you please shift me over?

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a good idea. I got a fusion insted of the duo, although I'll most likely end up with one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened
Here's a photo of the Petzl Duo with reflector "donated" by a Garrity Tuff Lite:

fc5b4a6d.jpg

Sadly, the donor is not expected to recover. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Sniff.

Also you can see the 8 LED Module, with the replacement double reflector that comes with the Module package. Amazingly, Petzl textured the reflector on the LED side, which is fine, but on the halogen side the "new" reflector it's just the same old smooth dish: no orange-peel, do dimples, no facets, no nothing! Knuckleheads! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif This omission was especially annoying after experiencing the quality of the LED upgrade. C'est la cause du mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened
Just a further note on this Duo. The plastic housing of the battery pack wants to split at all four corners. So I drilled holes around the cracks and sewed them togeter with nylon thread, then put seam glue on the threads. Fixed the problem.

fc5b3624.jpg

(P.S. Had problem posting images--that's over now.)