Romisen RC-N3 vs. Romisen RC-F4

scorcher75

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I narrowed my search for a budget flashlight to these two models.
Both of them received outstanding rating in the budget flashlight sticky.

I realize that an important difference between the two flashlights is that the RC-N3 model can support 2 AA batteries or CR-123a, while the RC-F4 uses either CR-123a or 18650.

I am aware that the RC-N3 is way btter choice in terms of battery availability (2AA) than the RC-F4. Nontheless, I do not give too much of importance to batteries, while I have easy access to most and are readily available. Both flashlights cost about the same.

My main prefernces are for a BRIGHT flashlight with good LONGEVITY.

I am also aware that the RC-F4 model has some issues with dim light malfunction as evident in some youtube videos. But this problem is fixable and not reported in all flashlights.
Usually, this kind of problem would prevent me from buying the item, but I'm confident due to the excellent rating it received in the forum.

So I would like some help in choosing between the two.
Thanks!

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
I have a rc-n3 and it is simply a question of time vs brightness. The n3 lasts longer but isnt as bright and the f4 is brighter but less run time. Eitherway you should probably get the q5 version of either light from shining beam if u are really looking for the best either light has to offer

scorcher75

Newly Enlightened
Hey Portezbie, thnx for the reply.

Yeah, I am getting the Cree Q5 version which is $5 more expensive but does worth it.

I think you are right in saying that RC-F4 is brighter, cuz thats the idea I got also from the reviews.
In terms of percentage, how brighter is the RC-F4 than the RC-N3 in your opinion? Or how much longer does the RC-N3 shine compared to the RC-F4?

Cuz both brightness and longevity are important factors for me. But if I'd have to single one out, I guess I would go with brightness.

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
RC-F4 uses cr123 or 17670 not 18650 btw check bessiebenny sticky thread

This is ABSOLUTELY correct.

I specifically asked ShiningBeam about it and he told me that 18650 will NOT fit in RC-F4. An AW 17670 fits fine in mine - a 'no-name' 18650 WILL NOT.

IMHO - The RC-F4 (Q5) is well worth the money. It's very bright with a decent beam and good color.

I'm going to try a RC-N3 soon - then I can offer a comparison.

Finally, I heartily recommend ShiningBeam for the two Romisen Lights.

scorcher75

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, ur right. It is a 17670 battery.
And yeah, shiningbeam is the place I'm gonna buy at as shipping is acceptable and price is adequate.

Still unsure about which flashlight to get tho.
I get the idea that the RC-F4 is brighter, but people still opt out for the RC-N3 model. I wonder if there are any reasons for that besides the 2AA battery advantage...

lightbug

Enlightened
Thank you for all your support, here are some of my new toys.

DA1-Q5, single AA, 5 modes, Bare Aluminum body.
da1q5ou7.jpg

CX1-Q5, Single CR123A, 3 modes (no S.O.S or strobe)
cx1q5gh8.jpg

PL1-Q5, Single 18650, 5 modes
pl1q5bothdh6.jpg

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think both are useful enough lights with the RC-F4 being the brighter. The RC-N3 is more versatile and can take a cr123 or 2xAAs.
I think you would be happy with either one but if you're addiction becomes bad then you will want more lights!