VB-16 Cree or SSC?

underconstruction

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to buy a vb-16 because of the very low output which would be useful for camping. Any thoughts on which version to buy - q5 OR SSC (MAYBE u BIN?). I guess spill would be a little more useful for camping. I will be running it off 18650 s.

What I would really like is a p7 powered light with a similar variable output system. A really efficient low low and an insanely bright bright when I need it.
but that will probably be a long time in the making.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
SSC is always U bin. Get Q5, it has more spill. SSC is a thrower. Yes! It has slightly better throw than Cree Q2@1A in D26 SMO drop-in (or Q5 with OP) and pulls only 0,75A!

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't it the other way around? I was under the impression SSCs were floodier, and my personal experience confirms this.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had all variations of VB-16, Cree, SSC, black, silver. SSC seems floodier because of smooth transition from spot to spill (Cree will never achieve that). In real use SSC throws better and Cree Q5 has more spill. SSC has deeper and less textured reflector (than Q5) designed for P4. There was some lights with black finish and MOP reflector (probably yours) but silver SSC ones (I don't recommend black) have LOP only. That's why I recommend Q5 which is silver and has nice spill.

Last edited: