Problem with Nitecore Extreme Infinity

kindred_spirits

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a Nitecore Extreme from TADgear. Got used to the interface quickly (its the light, not me) and noticed some things. While in turbo mode, when I loosen the bezel to go to user mode, the light will occasionally go into strobe, then be in user mode. When I tighten to go back to turbo, it will be in strobe mode.

Also, I noticed that it can sometimes forget the user set brightness. Anybody else have problems like these? I think I'm going to to exchange this for a new Extreme.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine did that when I first received it. The treads and O-ring were really dry and it was hard to turn the head. It turned slow because of the resistance. I lubed it up well and the condition went away.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will find the easiest and safest way to go to user mode is to first turn the light off, loosen the head, then turn the light back on. You will have less problems this way.

And yes, my NDI still looses its user mode setting occasionally. I think Nightcore still has some work on the Electronics of these lights.

Bill

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have that problem with the NDI. I cleaned the threads then lubed it up. It helped, but ocassionally, I still experience the same thing. I gave up.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Don't forget to throughly clean the threads (both on the body and head) with an alcohol swab. Then lightly lube the o-ring. That should make the action much smoother and easier.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The threads on the Extreme, both tube and head are anodised. No current passes thru them.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased a Nitecore Extreme from TADgear. Got used to the interface quickly (its the light, not me) and noticed some things. While in turbo mode, when I loosen the bezel to go to user mode, the light will occasionally go into strobe, then be in user mode. When I tighten to go back to turbo, it will be in strobe mode.

Also, I noticed that it can sometimes forget the user set brightness. Anybody else have problems like these? I think I'm going to to exchange this for a new Extreme.

The reason for it going into Turbo mode when you are attempting to ramp in the user defined mode is you are NOT COMPLETELY tightening the head, or you are TOO SLOWLY loosening the head after tightening it. One reason for not completely tightening the head could be the O-ring is not lubed well enough. Because the O-rings are a bit too thick, use a thin lube, like Nyogel 760. A tight O-ring that isn't lubed will feel like you have tightened the head completely when you have not.

A quick motion in loosening the head after tightening, maybe even more important in avoiding the strobing issue in user mode. Once I figured this out, my light never inadvertently strobed again in user mode, although I could easily intentionally cause it to do so if I would slowly loosen the head.

Last edited:

kindred_spirits

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't cleaned and lubed the threads yet. I have to pick up some Nyogel too, I've been using Militec-1 grease on my other flashlights, which is somewhat thick.

kindred_spirits

Newly Enlightened
I also have some Deoxit red and gold on the way, since there is some flickering in the turbo mode. Hopefully it will help with the switching problem too.

rhpdchief

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget to throughly clean the threads (both on the body and head) with an alcohol swab. Then lightly lube the o-ring. That should make the action much smoother and easier.

Marduke,
You don't recommend any lube on the threads at all? Right now mine has nyogel on the threads and o-ring but it still seems awfully tight. This would be a truly great light if I could just reliably mode switch with one hand. :thinking:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Marduke,
You don't recommend any lube on the threads at all? Right now mine has nyogel on the threads and o-ring but it still seems awfully tight. This would be a truly great light if I could just reliably mode switch with one hand. :thinking:

The threads of the Extreme should be fine to lube. I was not aware the Extreme threads were anodized, as it's little brother the Defender Infinity has conducting threads.

Try taking off the o-ring completely and see how the modes work. If that seems to fix your issues, you know the area you need to focus on (replace or relube the o-ring accordingly)

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the slight OT, I am looking at this light pretty strongly, and wonder if anyone knows who the new US dealer/dist will be? VG