Stinger LED With C4

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to know when they changed it. I got one several months back and mine is rated at 80 lumens. It is still a great light and I am not sure how much of a difference you would really see.

Mike

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like they are putting the new K2 in it. It should be an improvement. It would be nice if they would abandon 80's tech nicad battery sticks though!

Rocketman

Enlightened
I get excited about Streamlight flashlights because they seem so big on flashlights and I can get parts and, of course, heroes trust Streamlight. :grin2:

No really. I destroyed my Scorpion LED reflector trying to clean it but was able to order another head assembly from Flashlights, Inc. and now my beloved Scorpion LED is like new again. Now I can use my Scorpion for work and keep my TL-2 in reserve.

No, I am NOT working for Streamlight.

Looking on their web pages again today, they now show both their Stinger LED lights as having the new C4 LED technology. MAN, I just missed it.

And yes, the 120 lumen C4 LED does make quite a difference, it's really bright and has a nice throw. To my eyes, that is, I'm no expert here.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like they are putting the new K2 in it. It should be an improvement. It would be nice if they would abandon 80's tech nicad battery sticks though!

Hard to be the robustness of nicad thou, you can run it dead many many times and it'll keep going.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a Stinger LED and was looking at the product fact sheet http://www.streamlight.com/documents/fact-sheet/201.pdf and saw that it refers to a C4 LED.

The date on the document is 06/10/08. Perhaps I should have waited a week? :sigh:

Where did you buy the Stinger? The new version has been on the market for at least a couple of weeks if my information is correct. You were given old stock. Did you at least get it at a closeout price?

Rocketman

Enlightened
Where did you buy the Stinger? The new version has been on the market for at least a couple of weeks if my information is correct. You were given old stock. Did you at least get it at a closeout price?

I bought it from Bright Guy and have not received it yet. I'm hoping now that it has the C4.:bow: Bright Guy would have shown that in their web pages though, it's more than a 50% increase in brightness.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked the Brightguy website and found the following.....

Special Offer - Get 12% off on any Stinger LED or Stinger DS LED flashlight. Enter coupon code stingerled at checkout. This is a limited time offer and does not apply to previous orders.

It looks as though they're not selling the new models yet. Maybe they haven't received them.

Dorkwheeler

Newly Enlightened
I just got my stinger led back from streamlight. They replaced the led/switch assembly. Anyone have any pictures of the new vs. old led so I can figure out if I got a c4 in return? I never really looked at the old led to see what it looked like. It seems pretty bright now but the old led was very dim and an odd color. Thats why I sent it in.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my stinger led back from streamlight. They replaced the led/switch assembly. Anyone have any pictures of the new vs. old led so I can figure out if I got a c4 in return? I never really looked at the old led to see what it looked like. It seems pretty bright now but the old led was very dim and an odd color. Thats why I sent it in.

A 3 watt LED in the original Stinger will be round in shape.

The newer "C4" K2 LED's are hexagonal in shape.

-dan

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was able to get two NiMH sticks for mine a few years ago off Ebay. They are both rated at 3000Mah. I got them for my original incan Stinger. They work in my LED Stinger also so I should get pretty awesome runtimes with them. The original Nicad was 1800Mah. If the K2 version uses the same battery stick, I will consider upgrading mine.

Mike

Rocketman

Enlightened
My new Stinger LED came today and it looks like it has the new C4 LED but I'm not sure yet, I sure do hope that it does.

Even so, the new C4 LED with the old circuitry still would not make me happy so I'll have to do some testing. I may even call Streamlight. I'll order a new LED assembly if I need to.

My only issue thus far with the light is that it's sort of long, I probably won't be able to take it downrange and thus it probably will never be my duty light, how sad. :mecry:

Rocketman

Enlightened
My new Stinger LED is very nice. The LED is set in a hexagonal piece of metal and it does look like the C4 LED in my Scorpion LED.

I would suggest two improvements to Streamlight.

1. Use a textured reflector. Surely that isn't too hard to do, the beam could use some smoothing. The light is near perfect, why not make the beam near perfect?

2. Move to the Strion battery technology while retaining the larger diameter head and circuitry of the Stinger. Then it would be small enough for me to take downrange. :D

A very nice light and I give it my Rocketman stamp of approval.

>==[Rocketman Approved]====>

P.S. I have not used it much, these are just my impressions thus far.

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
Maybe they will finally drop a C4 LED in a Strion! That would be a hot seller especially with LEO's. :grin2:

I have been dreaming about this since the day I purchased my Strion. It MUST be next!!!! I have even thrown around the idea of a custom mod for mine, but haven't found any takers as of yet. I don't usually throw this word around, but with the right LED, it might be close to my perfect light!

rich9644

Newly Enlightened
Just clarify something for the members with the Stinger DS LED. If you want to know if your model has the C4 bulb, look at the S/N number near the switch next to the head. If it starts with a "C", you have a light with the C4 technology.

Just got off the phone with streamlight CS who confirmed that.

As others have mentioned, the C4 has a soft casing that is hexagonal in shape.

HTH,

-Rich

aubie515

Newly Enlightened
[quote. If it starts with a "C", you have a light with the C4 technology.

Just got off the phone with streamlight CS who confirmed that.

-Rich[/quote]

The statement above is true to a point. The simple way of finding out if you have the C4 is to push down on the LED...if it's soft you have a C4, but it might still be an old switch. If the LED is "hard" you have the older switch. The "black" portion that holds the LED in place is squared shape...the older LED's had a round look to them. There are other ways to differenciate between old and new, but I'm not going to get into that with this post.

Not bashing our CS department, but I work on the lights...they simply take general phone calls.

Side by side comparison of the old LED vs. the C4 is that the C4 is more clear and it does throw the beam further. If you do have the C4, make sure you have the upgraded reflector and retainer ring.

rich9644

Newly Enlightened
aubie515,

Thanks for chimming in! I just checked with my light and thankfully I have one of the new c4 models. So far it's serving me well, and has saved me a few batteries (I now use my 9P as back up). Do you know if any after market manufactureres are planning on a spiked bezel (like a GG&G TID)?

-Rich

Rocketman

Enlightened
I have been using my Stinger LED for a few months and I like it very much. It's serial number begins with a C, however, it is noticeably dimmer than my 120 lumen C4 Scorpion. Which by the way I use every day in the prison. Even so, my Stinger is my primary light when not at work. Streamlight, my Stinger and my Scorpion are just awesome. I can order parts when needed (and have done so) and they are bult very nicely. I tell this to anyone who seems interested including this forum but I don't see much talk about these lights, I don't understand why.

I think that perhaps the C4 designation does not necessarily mean 120 lumens. I'm thinking perhaps I should order the LED assembly. Nah, I'll wait and get the next model.