Original Novatac vs Black Novatac differences?

dinocol

Newly Enlightened
Does the newer black novatac have improvements in firmware/circuitry over the old ones? im planning to upgrade a novatac emitter to an ssc p7 so i'll know which novatac to get.. :D

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
You found someone to upgrade your Novatac emitter to P7? Isn't P7 a little too big? It'll be awesome if someone can do it.

Does the newer black novatac have improvements in firmware/circuitry over the old ones? im planning to upgrade a novatac emitter to an ssc p7 so i'll know which novatac to get.. :D

dinocol

Newly Enlightened
Im planning to do it myself but still researching if the novatac have enough power to light up a p7. It seems like it could be done on a HDS
( https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2516526 ) so i thought it might be possible also on a novatac but it seems the HDS is pumping out more power than novatacs as posted by tebore.

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure if you're successfully in upgrading your novatac with P7, there'll be many others requesting for your service :whistle:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure it's entirely possible the problem right now is finding a decent reflector to get a good beam. The second problem is getting a decent tint and a P7 that lights up evenly. I'm working on find a decent reflector now. Otherwise if you don't mind artifacts from the bond wires a modded mini mag reflector can also work.

Other than those two points the mod is straight forward. Milky took another approach using no reflector or traditional optic. His uses a pyrex aspherical lens.

I wouldn't worry about the power pumped out to the LED as if you get a low enough vf emitter the dies will light up. It's how much current is pumped out that decides if it's a huge improvement in light output. I'm going to say that a majority of HDS EDCs and Novatacs should see at least 170lumens out the front assuming a CxxxH(740 - 900lm) is used.