HDS Ra Twisty vs. Arc6

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
didnt see any threads on this, please refer me to them if so!

what are the pros/cons of the HDS Ra Twisty vs. the Arc6?

are these 2 lights even comparable? should they be compared to each other? as far as "bombproof" 123A lights go, these are the 2 that jump to mind. excluding any customs like McGizmos and whatnot. thoughts?

e.g.
- what purposes are these intended for?
- what situations are each better in?
- which can take more abuse?
etc.

would especially like to hear comments from owners of either, or both. right now i have a twisty 100, and am trying to see if i need an arc as well... ok i "need" one but do i NEED one...

:popcorn:

tricker

Enlightened
i am going to say the Ra is tougher(as it is compared to almost all other lights, but you know this)....it claims to be the brightest twisty, and probably is a little dimmer than a P1d Q5.....but the arc has claimed to have tested brighter than any other 1x Cr123.....so it will have the edge there, but its burst mode doesn't sound practical to me, but i like the WOW factor....all else is preferences, but i would wait for the Ra clicky....again claiming to be the " the smallest, brightest and most rugged clicky-style flashlight available"....thats when the real fun begins:naughty:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have either, but I'm very interested in reading about this. Also, wondering why we haven't seen any Ra twisty or Arc6 reviews yet... somebody, please?

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could understand why there's no Arc6 Review yet since only about 20 were auctioned off on ebay to maybe 14 individuals (many individuals auctioned more than one or two, some even five). A selected few did get a chance to beta test it, which is located here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198513

But no formal review as of yet.

I don't have either, but I'm very interested in reading about this. Also, wondering why we haven't seen any Ra twisty or Arc6 reviews yet... somebody, please?

straightblast

Newly Enlightened
The HDS Ra Twisty is my next light buy. Not sure how it compares to the Arc6 in output, if at all, but it is substantially cheaper-------and not sure how the Arc6 could possibly be tougher.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I can tell the only advantages the Arc6 has on the Ra is the Ti Bezel, sapphire lens, McGizmo compatibility on certain bodies(meaning you can have a Ti Body), and almost double the light on max output. Also the K2TF has a better tint

Is the light worth 2x as much for these benefits? The Ra still has better reliability. Better battery protection.

What comes with all Arc6 ownership is also to ability to join in the drama in the Arc Forum.

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS Ra Twisty is my next light buy. Not sure how it compares to the Arc6 in output, if at all, but it is substantially cheaper-------and not sure how the Arc6 could possibly be tougher.
And I don't know how the Arc6 could possibly be more expensive than it is. :laughing: Still a nice light of course...

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the time being, it's kind of unfair to compare Arc6 with any lights since it's semi-custom light and fetching a premium right now. There was one light with serial number 00000 that sold for $760. :green:

Once the standard production rolls around where they use a different emitter and the price reduce to a significant level, then we could start comparing. For now, I could see it being compare with an aluminum McGizmo's McLux PD-S.

tricker

Enlightened
As far as I can tell the only advantages the Arc6 has on the Ra is the Ti Bezel, sapphire lens, McGizmo compatibility on certain bodies(meaning you can have a Ti Body), and almost double the light on max output. Also the K2TF has a better tint

Is the light worth 2x as much for these benefits? The Ra still has better reliability. Better battery protection.

What comes with all Arc6 ownership is also to ability to join in the drama in the Arc Forum.

my 120's tint is better than my malkoff(some people have said theres isn't), and Ra tubes are to come per an e-mail i recieved today

and the Arc doesn't output 240 lumens so i don't see where double the output is coming from.....not even double the 70's output????

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
my 120's tint is better than my malkoff(some people have said theres isn't), and Ra tubes are to come per an e-mail i recieved today

and the Arc doesn't output 240 lumens so i don't see where double the output is coming from.....not even double the 70's output????

Buddy. Your Malkoff isn't made by Arc and doesn't use the exact LEDs used by the Arc. So don't bother comparing it.

The Arc is in the realm of 200 lumens. I don't know where you're getting your info from. But it's brighter than modded HDS' which are known to be over 120 Lumens. Most of my lights test in the 130-140 range. CM did a beamshot test between his Arc6 and B42. He mentioned that his HDS is in the range of 130lumens a while ago. His Arc6 is noticeably brighter . To be noticeably brighter you'd have to be close to 2x brighter.

tricker

Enlightened
Buddy. Your Malkoff isn't made by Arc and doesn't use the exact LEDs used by the Arc. So don't bother comparing it.

The Arc is in the realm of 200 lumens. I don't know where you're getting your info from. But it's brighter than modded HDS' which are known to be over 120 Lumens. Most of my lights test in the 130-140 range. CM did a beamshot test between his Arc6 and B42. He mentioned that his HDS is in the range of 130lumens a while ago. His Arc6 is noticeably brighter . To be noticeably brighter you'd have to be close to 2x brighter.

i was using the malkoff as a base as many have one, and tint have been very nice(consistently).....what current generation arc tint would you like me to compare it to then....it smashes my gs, and even the snow

http://www.arcflashlight.com/lsseries.shtml
Minimum output on highest level: 100 lumens with non-rechargeable, 130 lumens with rechargeable. Tested in NIST traceable Sphere

i haven't said once the arc isn't brighter....but info from the manufacture doesn't say 200 sooooooo:thumbsdow

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was using the malkoff as a base as many have one, and tint have been very nice(consistently).....what current generation arc tint would you like me to compare it to then....it smashes my gs, and even the snow

http://www.arcflashlight.com/lsseries.shtml
Minimum output on highest level: 100 lumens with non-rechargeable, 130 lumens with rechargeable. Tested in NIST traceable Sphere

i haven't said once the arc isn't brighter....but info from the manufacture doesn't say 200 sooooooo:thumbsdow

Right I forgot about the posted info on the site. Some of that is out of date. You really have to follow the beta test threads and shipped threads. You'll see the Arc6 that have shipped are amazingly bright I'd say 200-220 lumens based on what I know about the lights they are tested against. It's probably the brightest (production, well we'll see about real production) Single cell (R)CR123 light there is.

The Arc is using a Lumiled K2 TFFC based LED. You can't compare the 5MM LEDs to it as the 5MM are usually really blue. From what i see from the beam shots the light is really warm without being yellow or pinkish. It's amazing. I'd like to get my hands on these K2s.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want an Arc6, but not as badly as many CPFers here. The prices that auction has been going for has been insane. I'm kinda on the fence right now since I have several McGizmo lights that I love and physicall they look very similiar to the Arc6 (though Arc6 is supposed to have more advanced electronics). I want to get ahold of those K2 LEDs, but do I really want to pay so much for them? I may eventually get it, but I'll wait till the price come down. Anyway, I digressed.

tricker

Enlightened
i NEED a k2 also........this argument is really useless, when the Ra clicky and production Arc6 come to fruition it'll be go time for a real throwdown:D

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the info.

Also, a bit off topic, what is the emitter used in the Arc6? I heard several mentions of this premium emitter and how it brings the price up, but I can't think of an emitter that would make a noticeable price difference in a $300 light. So what is it?