Recommendations for a multimeter to measure amperage

James35

Newly Enlightened
I would like your suggestions for a digital multimeter that can measure amp draw. I have a Greenlee DM-55 and a BK Precision 875B LCR meter. It doesn't appear that they will do the trick. Please advise on a nice digital multimeter that will measure amp draw (without the need of using a resistor and doing math :)). I'd like to keep the price under $150.

And what is a Fluke meter anyway? Is Fluke a brand or a type of meter?

Last edited:

MorePower

Enlightened
Re: Recommendations for a voltmeter to measure amperage

The Greenlee DMM you linked to says it measures DC current, so that should work for you. Just put the DMM in series with your cells and make sure it's turned to the "Amps" setting.

Fluke is a well-regarded brand when it comes to measuring devices, including DMMs.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Greenlee meter doesn't go above 200 mA.

You need a meter with a 10 A or 20 A range. They needn't be expensive -- my $2.99 (on sale) meters from Harbor Freight have a 10 A range and work fine.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Greenlee meter doesn't go above 200 mA.
You need a meter with a 10 A or 20 A range. They needn't be expensive -- my $2.99 (on sale) meters from Harbor Freight have a 10 A range and work fine.

What Mr. Happy said - please take a look at this thread -

Digital MultiMeter for $5....
there's a link to Harbor Freight in Post #10 (current price is $3.99) -
but beware of the possibility of leads with high resistance see Post #11

FrontRanger

Newly Enlightened

+1 for that. I own four DMMs, including a much fancier one, but this is the one I use most. It's an older version (yellow case, not black) that I've used for eight years or so, and never a problem. $3 well spent!

James35

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what it means when they say the multimeter display is 2000 count, or 4000 count, etc?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know what it means when they say the multimeter display is 2000 count, or 4000 count, etc?
Yes, I can explain this.

Take 2000 count for example. It means that the display can show numbers in the range 0, 1, 2, ..., 998, 999, 1000, 1001, ..., 1998, 1999.

Therefore, if the meter is in the 2000 mV range, you will see displayed values from 0 to 1999 mV. (Note this does not imply 1 mV accuracy, just the display resolution.)

In the 2 V range, you will see voltages from 0.001 V to 1.999 V.

It follows that all the ranges will be multiples of 2, such as 20 mV, 200 mV, 2000 mV, 20 V, 20 mA, 200 mA, etc. In some cases the range will only go up to 10, so that a 10 A range on a 2000 count meter will show values from 0.01 A up to 9.99 A.

A 4000 count meter will show values from 0 to 3999, and so on.

If you go above 2000 or 4000 counts, you will probably gain little unless it is a very expensive meter and regularly calibrated. Otherwise the accuracy will be less than the display resolution.

Nisei

Newly Enlightened

Just put the DMM in series with your cells and make sure it's turned to the "Amps" setting.
Isn't this just short-circuiting your battery and measuring how much current is flowing? I did this once and within seconds the battery was too hot to hold in my hand. How long can you do this without damaging it?

nzgunnie

Enlightened
no it's not shorting it, it's simply placing the multimeter in the circuit. easiest way is to remove the tail cap (if so designed) and put one probe on the body of the flashlight and the other probe on the (normally) negative terminal of the battery. The light should light up as normal.