Check out the new Dosuns

abuhannibal

Newly Enlightened
... at fenix-store.com. They look pretty sweet, but no info either there or at Dosun's web site about output levels. Has anyone tried the R5 or R6?

HeadCSO

Enlightened
Really like the look of the R5, apart from the head. Wish it was plain instead of looking like a strike bezel.

abuhannibal

Newly Enlightened
I try to avoid strike bezels myself, except on the one light that I use for LEO purposes. I have one Solarforce with a strike bezel and I am always worried about dropping it on my toe, or the cat. But still. :) If the outputs of those Dosuns is competitive, I could definitely be tempted.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll pass, not hard-core enough for all the tacticalness. but I'm sure someone out there needs three SOS modes and three stribe modes.

I concede that I'm just not gnar enough to need one.

Dosun's R-series feature the world's finest compact high-intensity LED flashlights. The R-series performs exceptionally in a variety of situations: daily work use, tactical engagement, camping and outdoors use, etc.

R6 Features
  1. Patented 360° digital ring-switch providing 12 modes of output:
    • 6 constant brightness modes
    • 3 SOS modes
    • 3 flash-signal modes
  2. Tactical tailcap switch - momentary or constant on
  3. SOS and Morse Code signaling capability
    • SOS signal 8 times / minute, 10 hour runtime, 3,000 meter visibility
    • " " 2 times / minutes, 40 hour runtime, 3,000 meter visibility
    • " " 1 time / minute, 70 hour runtime, 3,000 meter visibility
  4. Patented aluminum-alloy heatsink prevents the LED from overheating
  5. Constructed with aircraft-grade 6061 T6 aluminum with type-III hard-anodized finish
  6. Tactical strike bezel
  7. ...

Last edited:

abuhannibal

Newly Enlightened
270Winchester,

You're right about that - clearly someone lost control of himself there on the design team. :) But if you don't have to click through all those superfluous modes I can live with them.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
R5
1.Patented Ring-Switch
5permanent bright modes, 2 S.O.S modes, 2 flash signal modes, 2 battery indicator, 1 tactical strobe
2.Patented Aluminum Alloy Heat-Sink Structure
3.Tactical Switch
4.Water Resistant 30M
5.materials:Aircraft 6061 T6 Aluminum body,Type Ⅲ Hard anodized coating.
6.Computer-Calculating Collimator Lens
7.AR Coating Semi-Tempered Glass

$139

R6
1.Patented Ring-Switch
5permanent bright modes, 2 S.O.S modes, 2 flash signal modes, 2 battery indicator, 1 tactical strobe
2.Patented Aluminum Alloy Heat-Sink Structure
3.Tactical Switch
4.Water Resistant 30M
5.materials:Aircraft 6061 T6 Aluminum body,Type Ⅲ Hard anodized coating.
6.Computer-Calculating Collimator Lens
7.AR Coating Semi-Tempered Glass

$149

There seems to be an upgraded version over here:
http://www.taipeicycle.com.tw/presscenter/newproducts.shtml;jsessionid=t9dTG3TYJvSTD87MKTQxmR9sF37RwyGPF7hGFBH225WvQN2QFf4r!45930959?list_pageno=19

http://www.dosun.us/portablelight/index_light.html

Last edited:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other complaint about the current Fenix-Store web pages about these lights - no info on power source / battery types required.

No much info on these lights, and why they are so expensive. Would need much more market awareness before many people buy these lights, imho.

EDIT: saw the disclaimer about their rush to put the lights up on their site, with much more info to be added later.

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
One other complaint about the current Fenix-Store web pages about these lights - no info on power source / battery types required.

No much info on these lights, and why they are so expensive. Would need much more market awareness before many people buy these lights, imho.

EDIT: saw the disclaimer about their rush to put the lights up on their site, with much more info to be added later.

In the R5, 2 duracell cr123 supplied
In the R6, 3 duracell cr123 supplied

Zeige

Enlightened
All the info is up on the site now. Click on the picture for a complete spec sheet

Hmmmm. I dont see any Hi and Low stats for brightness?
2-200 lm would be acceptable
would be nice if it were ?-400lm like the inviticus claims :devil: (be sold out in a couple of hours):thinking:

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

I also had a look at fenix-store.com to see, what these lights are about.

1. They look quite nice. I neither prefere nor do I dislike the tactical beezel. It would not be THE point, by wich I choose a light.

2. Size of both R5 & R6 is OK, as long as I can imagine from the pics on fenix-store.

BUT
just as 207winchester wrote:
I'll pass, not hard-core enough for all the tacticalness. but I'm sure someone out there needs three SOS modes and three stribe modes.

I concede that I'm just not gnar enough to need one.

I guess, that is just too much, even for me!
I just need one strobe mode. A tactical one on a frequency of about 12 -15 hz.
And I would need no SOS mode. But as SOS would be just right for outdoor activities, one would be just enough.

... and ...
I think the idea of beein able to choose the actual mode, before activating the flashlight by turning a selector - ring is just fine. But on this lamps, you would propably need both hands, to switch from one mode (i.e. bright light) to another (i.e. tactical strobe). That would be just impossible, if you are using the light together with a weapon (as cops might do). I would prefere a solution, that would allow to use the selector - ring with the hand holding the flashlight. I knwo, it's hard to do, but I think, like Indight did with Typhoon (Blackhawk Gladius) did is just the right way!

Just my 2 €ct. :D

Bye,

Stephan

Marduke

Flashaholic
I like the looks of the R1. BTW, for those of you who didn't notice, the modes are selected via a selector ring, like the SureFire U2. You can physically look at the light when it's turned off and know what mode it will turn on in.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
If one can bypass all the sos/strobe modes, it's all good. They look interesting, if powered by AA batts.