SL Scorpion LED drop test

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make that "unplanned drop test." :ohgeez:

Surface: Concrete sidewalk.
Lateral speed: Somewhere around 5-10mph (fast jog or so).
Height: 4ft or so.
Result: Still operational, minor nicks. Pics later today.

Sorry I don't have any data about what happened during the fall, but I didn't notice it happening at the time. I was VERY relieved to find it on my way back. :sweat:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Now it has some character marks.

Good to hear that it still works.

Were you carrying it loose in a pocket, or using some type of holster for it?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Look on the bright side, you found the light.... now you get to find a holster for it. ;)

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I receiced my scorpion led monday. Its a nice light, but not one of my favorites. Output is less than a Q5 light, and its sticky rubber boot will pull your outter bill out of your pocket when you take it out if you are not careful. (I had the light in my front left shorts pocket with my cash. When I pulled my light out, it took a hundred with it! Luckily I caught it:( )

So after reading your thread, I decided to do some drop test of my own. I tossed the light in the air 10-15 feet high and let it come down on the pavement 7 times. I thought it should do pretty well, since the switch is recessed ibto the metal body tube, and the lense is not glass.

The light still works after 7 falls. The head is ofcourse nicked up. Also, the plastic switch broke its anchor points and would slide out of the body if the batteries and boot did not keep it in place. But again, it still works.

Not bad for a $50 light.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to take the abuse to the next level. I threw the light into the air as high as I could (maybe 25-30 feet) 5 times.

The light still works! I thought the batts might detonate because of the hard landings on the pavement, but the have not. What a tough little light! The only evidence of the abuse it has gone through are the gouges in the light's head, and having to push the switch in more to get it to click to constant on. Not bad streamlight. Put a brighter led in there, and the scorpian will be a real winner!

Rocketman

Enlightened
I decided to take the abuse to the next level. I threw the light into the air as high as I could (maybe 25-30 feet) 5 times.

The light still works! I thought the batts might detonate because of the hard landings on the pavement, but the have not. What a tough little light! The only evidence of the abuse it has gone through are the gouges in the light's head, and having to push the switch in more to get it to click to constant on. Not bad streamlight. Put a brighter led in there, and the scorpian will be a real winner!

I would rather that Streamlight use a tough glass lens rather than polycarbonate as the lens is always an issue, it always gets dirty and must be cleaned and glass won't scratch up.

I also wish Streamlight had not extended the rubber over the tail switch and used a fully textured reflector but other than those complaints I don't see anything wrong with it, it's very nice. The led is 120 lumens with a nice beam, what's wrong with that? :thinking:

And if you think I'm going to throw mine up in the air just because you say it can take it, you are crazy! It's one of my favorite lights. :)

VF1Jskull1

Enlightened
went camping and my sister's boyfriend brought his work issued scorpion led... yeah grabbed hold of it to monkey with the features and came to realize the extended rubber boot felt weird in use.

Latest posts