N710

Newly Enlightened
Wow, this forum is awesome! Dident know there were so many with an interest in quality lights! Ive been a junkie for about 5 years.

It all started on a hunting trip when a friend and myself ran out of light power tracking an animal and finding ourselves out of light and 3 miles from camp-I decided this would never happen again. I started searching for the brightest carryable lights with good run time.

I would like to know your opinions on my favorite lights and any mods to them that will make them better,I would like to know where to get the parts to do the mods on the mini mags also.

These are my favorite lights:

Urban lights,edc-shurfire E2e,scorpion,PT 4aaa rage
Hunting lights-pelican 2c,UKE 4aa,PT Tec-40,PT-impact 4aa,pelican 3c saberlite.
Backup hunting light-PT-tec20,Pelican 2aa mitylite mag,Uke 2L,pelican versabright 2aa,
Microlight-Uke-2aaa
Camp or house light-Pelican M-10 4c,Pelican prolite 4c,Mag 3D with zenon bulb,mag 2d with zenon bulb(form radioshak).

I have noticed that there is not much mention of pelican lights on this forum, they are among my favorites,they are bright and use regular batteries, the 2c pelite is my favorite for packing-it runs 4 to 6 hrs on batteries and is brighter than a 4d mag or 6p.

Iam thinking of getting an arc aaa for a little light but I love the UKE 2aaa, its brighter than a stock minimag and runs for 2 to 3 hrs.

Most of these lights are for hunting and camping ECT. So I realize that they are too large for edc, I like the E2e and other shurfire products for city carry.

Most of the treads on this forum ive read are on edc lights, what are your opinions on hunting and outdoor lights?

Nice to meet all you folks, thanks, JON.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon, You have found the home for the flashlight geeks from all around the globe. You will fit right in here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, Jon! You have found THE home of Flashlight Nuts for the entire planet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hunting light?
What would you be hunting and where?

Outdoor light?
I'd suggest a large diameter reflector flashlight for longer beam throw. Depending on your application rechargeable may be a cost effective option.
I suppose it all depends on what you want to use the light for.

Underwater Kinetics makes some contact long throw models.

I have a Pelican SabreLite and really like it. Don't carry it as my SureFires are far more powerful (although they don't have the runtime)

Al

N710

Newly Enlightened
AL, I do a lot of camping and hunt elk and mule deer in the high country and the pelican 2c pelite is my favorite for fanny pack carry while hunting, in camp I usually have a pelican super sabre 3c or the new m10 4c verson, or a 3d mag with zenon bulb, i also rotate the 2c pelican for a 4aa tec 40 or the 4aa UK, but I find that I can get 2 c cells cheaper than 4 aa cells so i carry the pelican more.

Rechargables are out of the question for hunting out of tent camps or when backpacked in, so are the 123 powered lights as their run time is too short, although they would be good to carry for temp. blinding a hostile animal.

One option I am looking at is carrying my new E20 shurfire for hunting and backpacking as it has a two hour run time and puts out 25 lumens and the batteries are lighter than aas or cs, it also is now more cost effective as I can get the shurfire 123a's for $5 a pack.

The only led light I have is a new PT impact 4aa but I havent tried it yet in the wilds.

Another decision Im trying to make is whether to get a ARC aaa or Infinity ultra for small backup light, right now and for years my favorite has been the UK 2aaa, its the brightest 2aaa Ive found and is small and reliable and usually runs for 2 hrs on a set of alkalines, I know the new led lights have long run times but the question is wether they are bright enough compared to my UK 2aa.

Another favorite light for general use is the Pelican 2aa mitylite magnum.

I also plan on getting a 3 cell lithium light from Shurfire but cant decide between the C3 M3 or 9P, this along with a stinger, E2e, PT 4aaa, and possibly a G2 will be my urban and house lights. Thanks for your interest. JON-N710

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello N710,

Welcome.

Pelican just came out with a M6. It has been checked out by a lot of members here and you should find out some information by doing a search on it.

For long throw while boating (a little heavy for backpacking, but suitable for hunting) I have a UK SL4. The Pelican 2C lights look interesting. I'll have to check them out.

Around camp use is well suited by LED lights. I have found the Impact to have a narrow beam with little fill, but it does have some throw. I think you should check out the BB400 and other modifications for a 2 AA Mag Lite and Brinkman.

I noticed that you seem to be missing a headlamp. There is a lot of discussion on them. Check it out with the search function. And don't forget that Wayne at Elektrolumens.com has just put a powerful LED with optics in a headlight. Check out his Elektrolumens forum for more information. He just picked out a name for it, but I can't remember what it is.

I should also point out that there are sever sites that review flashlights. Go to the review forum and do a search on a light to get a review including brightness, run time on batteries, and general comments about style, function, and beam pattern.

In regard to your question about the ARC AAA or the Infinity Ultra, the standard answer on CPF is:

"GET BOTH OF THEM"

Then you can write a review and share how you like your favorite.

Tom

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to recommend a KL1 for your E2O. 4 + hours of very useable light. Plus you can always switch back to the Mn02 or Mn03 Light Assemblies. I use this combo outdoors all the time. It's light weight and easy to pack.

I would have to say that if you are using the lights in a hunting / camping situation I would stick with the KL1 or Arc LS Luxeon lights over drop in mods. The Kl1 on a E1 or E2 or an Arc LS are super tough lights and would survive very harsh conditions. Also Cr123A lithium batteries also excel in very cold climates unlike alkaline batteries.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
A good light choice may depend of where and how you hunt. My idea of roughing it is no room service after 10PM. I carry a Scorpion, Pelican L-1 and a Mag AAA. The Scorpion is in my pack along with 3 extra sets of of 123's, the AAA is on my key chain and the L-1 is around my neck. If I am not humping more than a couple of miles I include my Tigerlight FBOP in my pack. A 123 powered light with 3 extra sets of batteries gives you about 4 hours of strong light. I have never tracked anything more than about 3 hours so I should be safe. My experience has been if I am searching more than about an hour with no luck I am going to get some help, more batteries and come up with a plan so I am not out all night. I start with the brightest light, the Tigerlight, it gives me my best chance of finding blood, hair, tracks. After 45 minutes I put it way and go to the Scorpion. This way I don't have to carry the Tigerlight any longer than possible, it's heavy.

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I hunt and have trailed animals after dark. I really like the Arc-LS with a AA battery pack. I also recommend the Streamlight 4AA incandescent. It's bright and has a good throw. Or you can carry the combo I've been carrying lately. An ARC-AAA-LE, ARC-LS 2 w/CR123 battery and empty AA case, and a Surefire G2. I carry 6 or 8 CR123's and sometimes AA's for my radio so in a pinch I can use them in my ARC.

Have you thought about a UV light. I like the ARC-AAA UV. It makes blood stand out and makes tracking a lot easier.

N710

Newly Enlightened
wow! Thanks guys!
Where can one buy the tigerlight and the Arc Ls for the best price, where can one buy the mods for the Minimag?