Fenix L1D Q5 vs NDI vs Jet-1 IBS vs NiteCore D10 vs LiteFlux LF5XT review

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
My most used and carried lights are the 1AA lights I have. I have a ton of Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries available to use with these lights and the 1AA form factor feels very comfortable in my hand for daily usage.

With that said I did weeks of research on the L1D Q5, NDI, Jet-1 IBS, couldn't really decide which one or two were best so I bought them all to try out and use. After having used each for several weeks now, I've discovered what I prefer and use the most, as well as the pros and cons of each light.

I thought I'd share my personal experiences and findings here in the event that it might be helpful to future consumers who may be in the same boat as me.

Out of the three lights, the light that I EDC and use the most is the Fenix L1D Q5. It's my favorite light, by far. (UPDATE 7/4/08, my favorite light is now the NiteCore D10, with the Fenix L1D Q5 as a very very close favorite 2nd. I often carry the D10 as primary EDC, and the L1D as a back up in a separate pocket or a bag if I have one with me). The original NDI and the Jet-1 IBS are now heavily outclassed by the ND10, imho.

The Fenix L1D is a no frills light, very simple to operate, and has great power regulation so it lasts for a good amount of time. The main reason I like this light the most is because of the rear clickie. Besides the fact that it has very good illumination levels at low / med / high, the rear clickie is the most user friendly and intuitive interface out of all three lights compared here. It's extremely simple and easy to turn the light on / off, and change brightness between lo/med/hi at a whim. I find that I am often turning the light on / off, starting at lo, going to med, and sometimes going to hi to look at things in the dark as I am doing various tasks that range from close up to further away.

I think the biggest attribute of the Fenix L1D / L2D light is the clickie. They've got it right and it makes the lights a pleasure to use.

My next preferred light, as a distant second, is the NDI. The NDI has really great illumination and a very low setting, but two things really stand out that make it not quite as compelling as the L1D. The biggest disadvantage of the NDI is the fact that you have to twist the bezel to go from low to high or vice versa. The NDI I have, I often find that I frequent loosen the tailcap when I try to turn the bezel, thus rendering the NDI useless when I am merely trying to change light output. I have to then use both hands to tighten the tailcap, hold the light solidly and turn the bezel so that I can change light modes. I could put loc-tite or something similar on it to keep the tailcap tight, but I don't have this problem when turning the bezel with the L1D. The rear clickie also feels fragile and I fear I could easily break it if I use it too much. The second disadvantage of the NDI is the crenelated bezel. It makes pocket carry a bit more complex since the sharp edges could tear up my pocket / other items if I'm not careful. This is a minor quibble compared to the first disadvantage though.

Finally my Jet-1 IBS is a third preferred option. The light body is of superb quality, but it is too smooth to hold without adding tape to it to make it grippier. There are three light indentations to hold onto, versus the six indentations in the L1D body which makes the L1D much easier to hold. I love this light, but the biggest flaw is the rear clickie. I had read multiple reviews on this light and the complaints about the rear clickie. I honestly thought people were blowing it out of proportion when they said the rear clickie was hard to engage. I have small finger tips and I can easily manipulate any rear clickie, or so I thought. In reality the rear clickie is every bit as hard to activate as people have said, and then some. I feel like sometimes I am jamming/ hurting my fingers just to turn the damn light on. The light is a great light, the but rear clickie is not acceptable when it's used as a EDC light. The rear clickie would drive me crazy if I was to use it as my primary light. I've seen people mod the rear clickie so that it's more usable. But to me, it's not acceptable for a light that costs this much, to have a rear clickie that is simply unusable out of the box. I still love this light and may consider modding the rear clickie to make it more useful, but imho I shouldn't have to go through that in the first place.

So the bottom line is while I love all three lights, if I had to do it all over again and I could only buy a single AA light, I would go for the Fenix L1D, in a heartbeat. The ease of the rear clickie and changing modes is simply the best advantage from a daily carry and use perspective.

If you've got disposable income and want to collect lights, then by all means the NDI and Jet-1 IBS are mandatory to have in your collection as well.

I hope some future readers find this useful.

7/4/08 EDIT: UPDATED to add NiteCore D10 info as follows:

The NiteCore D10 has now replaced my Fenix L1D Q5 as my preferred primary EDC.

While I still love my L1D Q5 and highly recommend it, here are the reasons I chose the ND10 as my new EDC:

1. Form Factor: The ND10 is shorter and slimmer than the L1D Q5, thus more pocketable. The ND10 is perfect size for an AA light, imho. Any shorter and the lens would be blocked by my palm when I hold it, and it's slim enough to be portable, but big enough to have substance when operating it. Out of all my AA lights, this light's form factor is the best.

2. Clicky feedback and feel: The piston clickie physically feels better than the rubber pen style clickie of the L1D. It's hard to describe how exactly it's better, but the short of it is the piston clickie has a very firm tactile feel, but is such a short stroke that I can very easily and intently activate the piston clickie at will. The other advantage is I can loosen the bezel and use the ND10 as a momentary forward clickie if I wish. The feel and flexibility of this is amazing!

Oh, the silent operation of the ND10 piston clickie versus the audible plastic clickie of the L1D (and other lights with this type of clicky for that matter) is a big difference. I love being able to click silently, such as turning on the light discretely in the movie theater without noise.

2.1 UI/ease of use: On another note, the UI is great on the ND10, but I would rate it as equal to the UI on the Fenix. On the Fenix L1D, once I have clicked it on, it's so easy to go from lo to med to hi that it's pretty much brainless. On the ND10 I have to think a bit more about what I want to do. It's pretty automatic once I played with the ND10 for a few minutes since I got it, but I still have to be more deliberate than the Fenix L1D.

On a very minor note, a good improvement to consider for the ND10 UI is to have a constant memory for the user adjustable setting. In other words, every time you click on the piston, the light will always come on at your last adjusted setting. Then to go to low, either ramp down, or double click for low. To go to high, ramp up, or click and click/hold for high. This would be a better UI than the current UI, but the current UI is still very very usable, so don't get me wrong here.

On a laziness level, the ND10 piston clicky is easier to activate, but once activated, the Fenix L1D is easier to change modes on. But both UIs are very easy to use, les I give the wrong impression. I love both UIs, and have no real preference of one UI over another. Sometimes it's nice to just click on to high without skipping other modes on the ND10, but other times it's nice to have the reassurance that I can always start in lo and swith to med/hi easily on the L1D.

Luckily, I have the best of both worlds by carrying both the ND10 and the L1D. I use the ND10 UI most of the time, and for a change of pace I sometimes use the L1D UI. Perfect combination imho.

3. Grippiness: The knurling on the ND10 is perfect. I added tape to the L1D to make it grippy enough. Don't even mention the Jet-1 IBS in this!! The Jet-1 IBS is so smooth it would be dropped many times unless you add some grip material to it. Strangely, although the NDI has knurling, it still feels a bit too smooth to hold. The knurling on the ND10 is tops in my book. Not too aggressive to wear out your pockets, but so secure to hold in your hand that you'd rarely drop it.

4. High and Low beam: The high beam on the ND10 on eneloopes appears whiter and brighter than my L1D Q5 on high (I rarely use the L1D on turbo), and the low on the ND10 is far lower than the L1D Q5. I used the low on the ND10 at a theater in the dark, and no one else really noticed my light. It's perfect from a low stand point, compared to the L1D, whose low is a bit brighter than I'd prefer.

So there you have it, my new top EDC, the ND10, the best 1AA light to come along yet.

I will have the LF5XT coming shortly, so expect an update soon... :devil:

Update 7/11/08: received LF5XT, first impressions in post below, will add to this section soon.

some pix:

From left to right - all 1AA lights:

Zebralight H50, NiteCore D10, Jet-1 IBS, NiteCore D.I., Fenix L1D Q5

aalite1nm2.jpg

Here's the ones that are able to tail-stand, along with a pocket knife:

aalite2to0.jpg

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix L1D Q5 vs NDI vs Jet-1 IBS review

You posted this at EXACTLY the right time. I was literally seconds away from deciding on which of those three to get my dad for fathers day and now i know. He will love the L1D. thanks!:twothumbs

momonbubu

Newly Enlightened

Thanks LED-holic, like all CPF's advice............. take all

see my sigline, hehehe, i rotate mine everyday. They have their own strength and weaknesses. but these babies are must have one.

giandi

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic

I currently own the NDI, and have owned the L1D in the past. The NDI was a gift to me and I love it very much, but if I had to go out and buy a 1xAA right now because I didn't own one, it would be the L1D. The UI is much easier to work.

The sharp bezel of the NDI is perhaps the biggest turn off to me. If it had a smooth one, it would be a much nicer light IMO.

I wonder how the L1D with a forward tactical switch module would work out... :whistle:

Zeige

Enlightened

I love this light, but the biggest flaw is the rear clickie. I had read multiple reviews on this light and the complaints about the rear clickie. I honestly thought people were blowing it out of proportion when they said the rear clickie was hard to engage. I have small finger tips and I can easily manipulate any rear clickie, or so I thought. In reality the rear clickie is every bit as hard to activate as people have said, and then some. I feel like sometimes I am jamming/ hurting my fingers just to turn the damn light on. The light is a great light, the but rear clickie is not acceptable when it's used as a EDC light. The rear clickie would drive me crazy if I was to use it as my primary light. I've seen people mod the rear clickie so that it's more usable. But to me, it's not acceptable for a light that costs this much, to have a rear clickie that is simply unusable out of the box. I still love this light and may consider modding the rear clickie to make it more useful, but imho I shouldn't have to go through that in the first place.

+1 I couldn't agree more!

I think JetBeam should come out with a better clickie for this light asap. I like the light alot and would even pay to add a better clickie, I may do the mod....but I do like the tailstand feature.:sick2:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

You posted this at EXACTLY the right time. I was literally seconds away from deciding on which of those three to get my dad for fathers day and now i know. He will love the L1D. thanks!:twothumbs
Glad this helped you. Your father will love the L1D. It's the cheapest of the three and such a great light! :thumbsup:

TodToh

Newly Enlightened

Your post is very helpful.:thumbsup:
It show me that flashlight is not only has output and runtime
but also has daily usage factor too.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I have have missed it, but was the Fenix with the smooth or textured reflector. According to the Fenix site, you can get the light with either.

BlueBirdTS

Newly Enlightened

I've been wanting to get an L1D for a while. Thanks for the advice. It's funny how something so simple can make or break a light.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have have missed it, but was the Fenix with the smooth or textured reflector. According to the Fenix site, you can get the light with either.
Hi TIN - the L1D I have is part of the 4in1 powerpack, which is the OP reflector.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the biggest attribute of the Fenix L1D / L2D light is the clickie. They've got it right and it makes the lights a pleasure to use.
In both of my L2Ds the clickys felt very different, one was mushy feeling and the other was firm and positive.
The Fenix UI is good in my opinion.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great review post! Next to making a new decision on whether to stay with RCR123s or AAs, I've got this list of lights for the new potential EDCs:
JetBeam Pro I, JetBeam Pro II, Fenix P2D Q5, Nightcore Extreme, and Lumapower Connexion.
Check out the LP Connexion-
http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-connexion-aa.html
I'm definitely adding the L1D Q5 to the list. I really want a clip, though. :(

Last edited:

ykb

Newly Enlightened
the crenelated bezel. It makes pocket carry a bit more complex since the sharp edges could tear up my pocket / other items if I'm not careful
The sharp bezel of the NDI is perhaps the biggest turn off to me. If it had a smooth one, it would be a much nicer light IMO
Cannot agree with you more !
If there was a pocket friendly version with no sharp bits, it would be the ideal AA-torch (for now) imo.
After receiving the improved version with square threads and then giving them a good clean and proper lube, I can operate it one handed. It's a real shame about the sharp head.

As an alternative, I've been eyeing Fenix's L1T V2.0 with forward clicky and simple two-mode twist-head. Anyone owners out there?:)
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=334

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cannot agree with you more !
If there was a pocket friendly version with no sharp bits, it would be the ideal AA-torch (for now) imo.
After receiving the improved version with square threads and then giving them a good clean and proper lube, I can operate it one handed. It's a real shame about the sharp head.

As an alternative, I've been eyeing Fenix's L1T V2.0 with forward clicky and simple two-mode twist-head. Anyone owners out there?:)
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=334

I have the Rebel version and I think it is my 2nd favorite light,(the TK10 being my favorite). I like it better than my P2D Q5 even though it is bigger and not as bright. This light has a nice feeling clickie, a long running high and a low mode that is good for general - closeup use. The L1T V2 is pretty bright on a 3.7V 14500 battery but not recommended for long runs.

I think the sharp bezel on the NDI was a mistake but I like the knurling, I wish Fenix would add knurling to their lights.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have updated this thread with the ND10 review info, and will add the LiteFlux LF5XT when I get it.

I hope people find this thread useful.
Happy 4th of July!!!
God bless America!!!!!

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I got my LF5XT today. Cracked the package open and inserted a new Eneloop to play with.

After a few minutes, here are some first impressions:

Overall - I still prefer my NiteCore D10, because of compact size, and instant on/off.

Dimensions The ND10 is very compact (short), and the LF5XT feels quite long by contrast. In fact, the LF5XT is even longer than my Fenix L1D, which I don't use / carry as much any more because the D10 is so compact. The LF5XT is about .15 inch (4mm) longer than the L1D. The LF5XT is .5 inch (1.1cm) longer than the ND10. This is a significant size difference.

The ND10 fits well in my cargo shorts outer pocket, while the L1D is a bit too long, and the LF5XT is much too long. The ND10 is the most compact AA light that I have right now, and I prefer its size over any other AA lights I've used.

Fit & finish: Very good. Only complaint is the o-rings are a bit thin, and when I screwed in the bezel and tail, it tended to catch on the o-ring and stretch it out. I had to carefully hold in the o-ring with my fingers when tightening the bezel and tail, to ensure it would not stretch the o-rings too much and cause the o-ring to hang outside of the thread visibly.

Also, the knurling is more cosmetic than practical. It's very smooth to hold. I consider the ND10 to have the perfect knurling. The knurling on the LF5XT falls far short. I can imagine accidentally dropping the LF5XT because it's so smooth compared to the ND10.

Beam: Very nice wide hot spot with smooth transition to the spill. It's more user friendly and usable than the ND10, but the ND10's beam is not too shabby either.

UI I haven't programmed this thing yet, but merely clicked it on/off, hold for max. Already I'm a bit annoyed. The wait for the light to react on every click is a bit long. Imagine clicking on the light to turn it on. Take a deep breath. About the time you finish your deep breath, the light clicks on. Turn it off, do the same thing. Turn it on to max, same wait.

Compared to the instant gratification provided by the ND10, this wait is annoying to me. I don't like it.

Pros: flawless beam; extremely versatile UI.

Cons: it's much longer than the ND10; the delay in the UI to respond to user input is annoying; knurling not useful; o-rings too fragile (at least in my light); low not as low as the ND10. Much more expensive than the ND10; not as easy to obtain compared to the ND10.

Bottom line - so far I'm disappointed. After all the hype with the LF5XT, I was expecting to love it immediately as I did with the ND10. I don't have that lovin' feeling right now.

For now, I'll EDC the ND10, and the LF5XT will be a play light that I'll program, and carry on occassion.

If not for the ND10, I'd probably EDC the LF5XT in conjunction with the L1D. But the ND10 is more practical, for me, than the LF5XT. Basically, this short experience so far re-affirms my decision to buy 3 ND10s, and I probably won't be buying another LF5XT, at least not until they improve upon a few of the things I noted.

Will play with the LF5XT much more, and post longer term impressions in the updates here too.

Last edited:

BlueBirdTS

Newly Enlightened
Nice review. I'm seriously considering getting a D10 since I've never owned a single AA light, but I've been hearing some complaints about the piston. Plus, I don't know if I'm sold on the UI.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. I'm seriously considering getting a D10 since I've never owned a single AA light, but I've been hearing some complaints about the piston. Plus, I don't know if I'm sold on the UI.
Thanks for the compliment. Play with the D10 and see if you like it.

If you decide you don't like it, sell it on B/S/T, it will go very quickly. It's like liquid cash right now. A great light. :)

BlueBirdTS

Newly Enlightened
It seems to me as if the D10 will be a fantastic light after a few things are adjusted, namely the springiness of the piston and small UI tweaks. However, for my first real light I think the L1D might be the better light due to its simplicity and reliability. I suppose I could always get a D10 now and sell it later.

liquidsix

Enlightened
Really? You think the D10 outclasses the NDI?

-The piston is soooo much stiffer that the NDI's lite smooth clicky.

-Momentary is a two step process (unless you're a twisty fan), which defeats the purpose.

-If you do use momentary, when you have it on for more than a second the light jumps into high. This a bug in the click-hold to get to High design (which was rebranded as a 'feature' on the box).

Okay, so maybe momentary is no big deal because with the unaudible switch what's the point, other than force of habbit?

-With the NDI, if you needed to you could jump to high and return to your custom setting, and it was easier to get to high too.

-The piston design is not that much more reliable (If it's more reliable at all). The biggest potential for failure has just been moved from the replaceable clicky into the unreplaceable head (I don't see replacement heads or pills on my spare parts bag.)

Although I have to admit it does have its cool features:

-The piston just looks cool.

-You can now jump to both high and low modes. In my opinion, I would be happier with just having two or three custom modes to cycle through with a click-click (lose the click-hold crap) instead of instant high and instant low.

-The knurling ends on a groove at the end of the head, I never liked how the NDI's just sort of faded out near the business end.

-Doesn't have that strobe bug that the NDI has when leaving high mode.

-One handed operation...wait did I say that?.. Who cares? How often are you in a situation where you have to constantly readjust your output when your other hand is full? I should take this point back.

I would say that the D10 is in no way a better class or a successor to the NDI, and if I had to choose (which I don't, I have both), the only thing that would make me consider the D10 over the NDI is the price.