Many, Many Micro Illuminators Here

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Well, not many many maybe, but certainly at least three more than anyone else owns at this time (except for the makers of course).

Two more examples of this Lambda/ArcMania creation showed up on my doorstep recently and I finally had the time to get them all up close and personal with each other:

fc5cb865.jpg

Those tiny rings on them are the cute lil' steel keychain loops that come with each one.

Now here's some food for thought, the original prototype I received has an SE, the two new ones are HDs, all with their tiny reflectors expertly cut to make the most of the beam emission patterns of the two different Luxeon styles:

fc5cb867.jpg

Both new examples feature much higher-binned emitters, with the middle one using a Q4G HD, and the one on the right sporting - now you may want to sit down for this one - an extremely rare, never-before-seen-by-yours-truly R4H HD!!! Hoo boy!

And to graphically illustrate the Bin Code differences, here are the beamshots:

fc5cb868.jpg

Notice how pure white the HDs are when compared to the original proto, and how much brighter the "R" Luxeon's beam is than even the "Q" Luxeon. Also due to the way HD's seem to take to reflector use, both new ones are actually able to throw a very real and useful "spot" beam, something that I personally have never known to be possible in a true keychain-class light.

Finally, luxmeter readings on this particular night:

Original Micro - 60 lux

Q4G Micro - 90 lux

R4H Micro - 101 lux

Did I mention the line forms HERE ?

rodfran

Enlightened
Hi Charlie, Many thanks for the beamshots! Also thanks for the heads up on the pre-order list. I put my name in last week. I sure would like to own one of those HD`s. I hope they will be available. I now use an Arc AAA LE for EDC. It is ok, but I wanted something with more of a beam for EDC. It looks like the Micro Illuminator is what I am looking for!

B@rt

Flashaholic
Oh Boy!
fd0c76e3.gif

Where did you get those ?... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yeah for some reason them two guys have taken a liking to me (maybe I write biased reviews?) so I am able to buy the early stuff from them (which is great for me!). Living in sunny Hawaii with the dark tropical nights (perfect for light testing) probably doesn't hurt either, I guess...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
On alkaline batts, it draws 1.0 Amp (996ma) FROM the batteries. I don't know what the LS itself is actually receiving in terms of current, though. But I can imagine it's quite overdriven.

2100mah NiMHs will last you around 1.8 bright hours in this guy.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif How quickly does the Brinkmann head/body warm up?

hmmm.... How does this thing manage 2-3 hours on a single battery? Energizer's Titanium AAA's are rated at about 1300mAh... Are there higher capacity AAA's out there or is this not current regulated?

Jon

zackhugh

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Wish I had been on CPF last night to see this post when it came out.

Charlie, it may be dark at your house but I get all that ambient city light where I live. The last time I went to Kauai I wanted to take my lights to test out but was too scared that the airport people would confiscate them.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
StoneDog said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif hmmm.... How does this thing manage 2-3 hours on a single battery? Energizer's Titanium AAA's are rated at about 1300mAh... Are there higher capacity AAA's out there or is this not current regulated?

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon, He's refering to the 2AA current draw, not the 1AAA.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh... That makes more sense! Either way I'm still on the waiting list.

Is the 1AAA version of the Micro Illuminator over driven?

Jon

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Now here's some food for thought, the original prototype I received has an SE, the two new ones are HDs

due to the way HD's seem to take to reflector use, both new ones are actually able to throw a very real and useful "spot" beam, something that I personally have never known to be possible in a true keychain-class light.

[/ QUOTE ]

The beam shots show almost no side spill around the spot of the HD Luxeons. Can the focus be adjusted for more side spill? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello StoneDog,

The 1 watt HD, LS is driven at 135ma and it is regulated. The brightness is in the select LS as well as in the converter design.

ARC mania /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Mike,

I am glad you happened on the thread and started answering a question or two.

I am not the maker guys, so forgive me if I don't answer the questions and defer to the maker(s).

(I jus' take the pitchers and tell y'all how impressed I am...)