A2 Aviator LED beam question.

bugeyed

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up a used A2 Aviator & am wondering if it has a problem. The LED beam pattern has 3 distinct spots & each has a bright ring around each spot. The overall LED beam pattern is not very well filled-in, IMO. Is this normal? The LED color is blue BTW.
While I have your attention, does Surefire sell replacement LED assemblies? I would like to get a white or red replacement.
Thanks

Illum

Flashaholic
its perfectly normal, the corona you see is created by light refracting from the domes of the LEDs, if it bothers you...you could disassemble the bezel [3 Philip-head screws] remove the LED ring and sand the domes a bit for a more diffused look.

the LED assemblies are not considered a part, if surefire wants to be explicit on their warranty policy disassembling out the LED ring would have voided the warranty. So no on them selling different color rings.

Atomic_chicken made a few LED replacement rings named the Aviatrix but unfortunately we lost contact with him sometime in December last year:shakehead

Koala is making some regulation equipped rings for the A2
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199366
I think this might be what your looking for.

Theres alot of A2 enthusiasts on the forum, someone else will eventually chime in :thumbsup:

hope this helps, cheers:huh:

bugeyed

Newly Enlightened
its perfectly normal, the corona you see is created by light refracting from the domes of the LEDs, if it bothers you...you could disassemble the bezel [3 Philip-head screws] remove the LED ring and sand the domes a bit for a more diffused look.

the LED assemblies are not considered a part, if surefire wants to be explicit on their warranty policy disassembling out the LED ring would have voided the warranty. So no on them selling different color rings.

Atomic_chicken made a few LED replacement rings named the Aviatrix but unfortunately we lost contact with him sometime in December last year:shakehead

Koala is making some regulation equipped rings for the A2
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199366
I think this might be what your looking for.

Theres alot of A2 enthusiasts on the forum, someone else will eventually chime in :thumbsup:

hope this helps, cheers:huh:

Thanks, yes it does help. I read a posting about tuning-up the A2 & I think I will go for the sanding of the LEDs. I will also check into the other sources for LEDs that you provided, Thanks a bunch. I did notice that by slightly repositioning the LEDs that the patterns were, at least, centered on each other. I'm picky, I know, but I like tinkering & truly appreciate it when everything is just the way I like it. I have had to tweak many things that I own. I am sourcing batteries on the web too. What is with these retail prices for CD123??? Insane!!! Except, that is why my buddy gave me this A2. He said "be prepared to pay out the ... for batteries. Haven't had the nerve to tell him the prices I have found on the internet! I think it was meant to be!:twothumbs
Thanks
kev

Illum

Flashaholic
nice buddy :twothumbs

doh, were are my manners :shakehead...:welcome:

yeah the street price for CR123As are off the charts. I once visited grand canyon and they want $9/cell up there [thank goodness for spares:huh:]

I buy my cells here, http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=161
the A2 is quite picky about cells, although some claimed success in using RCR123As [link] I can never get them to fit in the body:ohgeez: