Thinking about a P2D R100

big beam

Enlightened
I have a P2D Q5 that I got from another member.Great tint a little warm but I've heard that the R100's also have warm tints.What's the spill like in the R100's compared to the Q5.I assume the output is about the same as the Q5.And my biggest question is do you think the R100's from lighthound are OK,has anyone bought one lately?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've almost thought about picking up a P2D Rebel 100. From my experience the Rebel in a Fenix gives a more even beam. I have had good experiences with Rebel tints, but I hear they can be all over the place as they are with Cree's, etc.

The P2D's from Lighthound should be fine. They are a great dealer and if you would have any issues with your P2D I'm sure they would take care of you.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the P2D R100 and have not felt the need to upgrade it to a Q5 version, even though I have many other flashlights and drop-ins with the Q5 and like it very much.

The R100 has a nice shaped output, I wouldn't say though that it has an especially warm tint.

Among the LEDs, the latest available with a warm tint (if this is what you are after) is the Q2. Dereelight has a Q2-based drop-in where you can get this warmer tint.

If you are asking about the quality of the light (pure white as against say a purple or green or whatever color undertone), I would say that the P2D R100 that I have is excellent in that way. But generally the LED-based lights I have gotten recently have been pretty good in that way anyway.

There was a "recall" type of issue with the Rebels, but I must have gotten lucky since I haven't had that happen to me. I would expect though that if you were to buy an R100-based flashlight today it should be post-recall (and if it isn't, you should be able to exchange it).

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Among the LEDs, the latest available with a warm tint (if this is what you are after) is the Q2. Dereelight has a Q2-based drop-in where you can get this warmer tint.

The Q2 is just the luminous(sp?) flux bin.

Cree XR-E Neutral Warm White 5A Q2

Neutral Warm White 5A is the part that describes the color temp / tint.

txgp17

Enlightened
I have a P100 and my girlfriend has a Q5. (in the P3D's that is)

The Q5 has more spill as a result of the LED actually being larger, thus more difficult to focus.

husky20

Banned
I have a P3D Rebel 100 and think the beam is perfect.I am very happy with it. color rendition is spot on no rings in the beam at all and it has excellent throw and very good spill to.I just love this model along with the LOD rebel i own.I can barely wait to see what improvements are going to come to these already excellent values in high tech LED flashlights :thumbsup:

Last edited:

big beam

Enlightened
I have a P100 and my girlfriend has a Q5. (in the P3D's that is)

The Q5 has more spill as a result of the LED actually being larger, thus more difficult to focus.

This is part of what I'm looking for.Spill is what I like(I use my P2D on low most of the time,close up type work)But I also like warm tints as long as there not on the green side and the driver in the fenix lights on low make the green tint greener.My P3D on high isn't to bad but on low it's green.I used to EDC an L4 but weight,size and runtime was it's shortcomings.but I liked the wall of light.And sometimes it was to bright for close up work.
DON

bullterrier

Enlightened
I got two P3D Rebel 100 and a L1T R088 V2,0. and the tint are perfect warm almost like a incan

Last edited:

lumenal

Enlightened
I've got the Fenix L2T V2.0 Rebel, and am thrilled with it's beam.

The Rebel has the smoothest beam profile and the best tint consistency of all my lights using the latest Power LEDs.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I bought a P2D R100 premium the week the recall was anounced. I liked it enough to find another while they were still available.

It appears more floody when on low, so it works great for close work.

Daniel

StarHalo

Flashaholic
So my P2D R100 arrived today, cheers to Lighthound for helpful service and fast shipping; I placed my over-the-phone two-credit-card order on Thursday, they said they'd ship my order out on Monday. And my order arrived ...Monday. Faster than advertised processing/shipping is always a pleasant surprise :thumbsup:

I've done some various indoor/outdoor testing and comparing, and the quality of the light is just as the reviews say; notably warmer than the Cree with a much smoother beam profile. My beam corona has some very faint wispy edges to it, but you don't notice it unless you rotate the light against a white wall, certainly nothing on the order of the Cree donut.

Color rendering is a bit better than the Cree. The Rebel isn't quite as red-phobic, and though blues and yellow-greens still slightly fluoresce, it's not as pronounced. The overall light characteristics of the Rebel, with its near-white tint and "pretty good" rendering, reminds me very much of a good quality CFL bulb.

Comparing the P2D R100 against a P1D Q5 outdoors, the spill is almost exactly the same size, the throw is identical, and overall both are very well matched. I can see why Fenix used both of these emitters, as they perform so similarly in almost every respect. Again, the one big difference is tint; the Cree's otherworldly super-cold tint seems out of place outdoors, while the Rebel's nearly incandescent hue seems much more natural. Now that I've compared both side-by-side, I think I'd prefer the Rebel for camping/walking use, while the Cree is better suited for indoor and urban situations.

As a longtime P1 user, I definitely dig the interface and appreciate the pushbutton operation. Being able to go instantly from turbo to low and back again is a big plus in my book, though when it comes to cycling through the levels, or starting on a lower level, this P2 has *pronounced* instaflash. Not a big deal since the P1s do the same thing, but it's more startling when you see it starting from the low setting. A quick 175 to 10 lumens in a dark room looks like a small explosion, so this still isn't the perfect nightstand light. Switch-wise, I agree with those waiting for a forward clicky, but as reverse clickys go, this one's nice and solid.

Overall the P2D R100 is a winner, easily on par with the Q5 competition despite having a wholly different tone. If you use your current light outdoors frequently, it's definitely worth a try :twothumbs

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
I have a P2D R100. My favorite edc. Best tint and beam pattern amongst all my similar sized lights (Jetbeam J1MKIIR, NDI, Liteflux LF2X, Olight T10 & Olight T10Q5, Surefire L1, multiple KD/DX lights).

The instaflash is the only thing that sucks and I hear that was fixed on the Q5 versions. I much prefer the R100 to the Q5 in terms of color temp, but they do seem to require more heatsinking and the P2DR100 will get very hot on turbo if left on too long.

I actually prefer a stiff reverse clicky for EDC pocket carry as forward clicky like the NDI seems to do the disco in my pocket. twisty does not but is not as quick to use. YMMV.

-Pete

Niconical

Enlightened
In my first few weeks here I barely saw any mention of the Rebel, it was all about the Q5. Recently a I've seen a few more references to it, and like this one, all of them quite positive.

So, what happened? Why was it cancelled/recalled? Is it just not as bright as the Q5 so it was squeezed out of the market, or was there something wrong with it?

:thinking: