Jetbeam        
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Ra Twisty (HDS Systems) - Part 2

Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhoton View Post

Paypal is locked and loaded, now I just need a target.

+1!

Senna94,

We have a few of the prototype 18670 battery cases left that we are willing to sell. The one known problem with the prototypes is that the interior diameter is a hair small and will not accommodate LG Chem batteries, which can be 18.4mm in diameter. The same is true for AW batteries, which can apparently also be 18.4mm in diameter. This will be fixed in the production run with an interior diameter of 18.5mm, which is in process now. The cost of the prototypes is $50 plus $10 shipping/handling for a total of $60. Send us an E-mail if you would like one and we will send you a PayPal funds request.

Note that you can also use 17650 or 17670 batteries if you wrap some paper around them to keep them centered in the battery compartment.

CAUTION: DO NOT insert 2 CR123 batteries - you will damage the electronics from an excessively high voltage.

Valpo Hawkeye,

We are still working on the 2xAA battery tubes.

Henry.
    HdsSystems.com - advanced multilevel flashlights, RaLights.com - second brand for HDS Systems

E-mail Sent to info@ralights.com!
    Carrying a firearm for self-defense gives you great power. Society expects great responsibility from those with great power.

Henry,

Thanks for the update and the offer. Very tempting. However, I love my 18650 AW cells and will wait for the production units to be available. Hopefully very soon!!!!!!!

Paul
    "The Constitution says promote the the general welfare not provide welfare." -Allen West-
    To a democrat freedom means freedom from responsibility.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo Morocioli View Post
    Anybody else get a white sticker on the bag/color coding on the PCB?..Either, neither or Both?
    Both.
    I just received my TW120 #0669.
    RC
    Ra 140C Prototype, HDS EDC U85, U60, MM 1 Watt Arc P, DD M@g 3D with UXIL Lux III.

Flashaholic

OK now that I saw some pictures of the Ti Twisty I am going crazy. Henry what is the story behind them and can another one still be procured?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTz View Post
    OK now that I saw some pictures of the Ti Twisty I am going crazy. Henry what is the story behind them and can another one still be procured?
    Where did you find pictures of a Ti Twisty?
    Could you add a link?
    Brian

After getting an HDS, other flashlights seem much less relevant (Except for some of the really special lights found on CPF!)
    When things are really dark, a dim light for a long time is much better than a blinding light for a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by Theatre Booth Guy View Post
    Where did you find pictures of a Ti Twisty?
    Could you add a link?
    Chronos' pic
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

I have just received my 85-Tr, it's beautiful - much nicer than on the pictures. It feels very robust and indestructible in hand, quite heavy for it's size. It's very well made, it screams quality. The anodizing is excellent, looks even thicker than surefire's anodizing.
    The lube on the threads was a bit too thick, I cleaned it off and applied Nyogel 760G. It's much smoother now, I can switch it on with one hand but it takes some effort. There's some special lube supplied but only a small ammount, I'll wait until Henry has some "lube kits" for sale.
    I'll take the light for a walk in the woods tonight.

Evilgrin07 Re: Ra Twisty part 2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTz View Post
    Here's a link with some background info on the titanium Twisties. They are a special custom run, and I don't think any more are in the works.
    A few favorite lights from: McGizmo, Data, milkyspit, HDS, and Surefire

Flashaholic* UnderTheWeepingMoon's Avatar

Henry,

I'm interested to know whether there are still plans to release a 1 x 123 tailpack with a pocket clip for the twisty. Because of the size and weight of the twisty, I'd feel more comfortable with it clipped to my pocket as opposed to loose pocket carry. This is the only thing holding me back from EDC'ing my twisty.

JohnTz,

The story is a simple one. One CPF member wanted to do something very nice for another CPF member as a gift. After looking into it and talking to the machine shop, it was decided that a small number needed to be made to keep things economical and just in case there was a problem during production - which happened. So a very small number were produced. All were spoken for before we even purchased the materials. There were just enough good parts to build the required lights. The seriously defective parts did not go to waste.

Will there be another run someday? Perhaps. But I am not making any promises.

UnderTheWeepingMoon,

The clip is still in the plans. However, we can only do so many things at once.

Henry.
    HdsSystems.com - advanced multilevel flashlights, RaLights.com - second brand for HDS Systems

Ok, I have just returned from a short night trip in the woods and I must say I am very impressed by the Ra Twisty (85-Tr). I was using it mainly on the medium level, which is really plenty bright for almost any activity. I was first afraid of poor color rendition, but the Osram Dragon LED has IMHO a very good color rendition - I was comparing it to a SF A2. The narrow beam suits the outdoors very well and has some good throw (out-throws the SF A2).
    The low red is nice but I didn't play with it for long today. The red donut hole isn't that noticable outside. A Surefire light diffuser fits the Twisty like a glove and it makes the beam very smooth (no donut hole on red beam).
    I was able to operate the flashlight with one hand most of the time (Nyogel 760G lube).
    The Twisty will become my main outdoors flashlight. (I have sold my Fenix L1D CE, Nitecore NDI, Zebralight H30).

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_sk View Post
    The narrow beam suits the outdoors very well and has some good throw (out-throws the SF A2).
    The low red is nice but I didn't play with it for long today. The red donut hole isn't that noticable outside. A Surefire light diffuser fits the Twisty like a glove and it makes the beam very smooth (no donut hole on red beam).
    I agree. The Twisty has pretty good throw for such a small light. At the same time it has enough useful spill for outdoor use, for instance when you want to light up a path. The beam pattern is perfect for my kind of usage.

I didn't find the red very useful, however, and programmed the low to a low white. Whenever I need red I slip on one of the Surefire red filters, they fit the Twisty very well indeed.

Hans

Just like to state here that my Ra-85tr ran for 2 hours 57 minutes at 85lm before the low-battery stepdown running off of an unbranded unprotected 18650. Not bad, not bad at all!

EDIT: For a picture!
    Last edited by Enzo Morocioli; 07-10-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Enzo - great picture!!

Off topic, but, what are those caps on the front of your L1s... diffusers I assume? Details?

Thanks!
    ...as for me, when you want a good laugh, you will find me, in a fine state, fat and flourishing, a true hog of Epicurus' herd...
    Running Collection List
    HERE

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    Enzo - great picture!!

Off topic, but, what are those caps on the front of your L1s... diffusers I assume? Details?

Thanks!
    Thanks... Well, they aren't caps at all.. Nope, not even diffusers.... The Gen5 L1 on the left has a frosted Cree head on it, and reflective GITD tape around the bezel; nothing too special. The other Gen 3 body has a heavily modified Gen5 head (I cut 1/3 of an inch off of it - long story) and mounted a SSC U2SWOI in it. The red band you see is a plastic ring I placed around the stock optic to stop refractions of light from getting me in the eyes at night. My intent is to put both a mixture of epoxy/glow powder and a GITD o-ring around it, so that after usage the exterior perimeter of the bezel will glow.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS_Systems View Post
    JohnTz,

The story is a simple one. One CPF member wanted to do something very nice for another CPF member as a gift. After looking into it and talking to the machine shop, it was decided that a small number needed to be made to keep things economical and just in case there was a problem during production - which happened. So a very small number were produced. All were spoken for before we even purchased the materials. There were just enough good parts to build the required lights. The seriously defective parts did not go to waste.

UnderTheWeepingMoon,

The clip is still in the plans. However, we can only do so many things at once.

Henry.
    Those Ti Ra Twisties are BEAUTIFUL!
    Well worth a premium price. Is the bezel still stainless on the Ti's?
    Brian

After getting an HDS, other flashlights seem much less relevant (Except for some of the really special lights found on CPF!)
    When things are really dark, a dim light for a long time is much better than a blinding light for a short time.

Henry,

How badly scratched can the lens of the Twisty get before it noticeably or negatively effects
    the quality and output of light?

After 5 weeks of daily use, mine is quite badly scratched.

Should I opt to replace mine in the future, can one be ordered new from HDS/Ra or would an
    alternate/aftermarket lens be the only option?

Thanks.

Flashaholic

JohnTz,

Henry.
    Henry please include me in any future run on the Twisty or the Clicky if you do them in Ti again.

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by seery View Post
    How badly scratched can the lens of the Twisty get before it noticeably or negatively effects
    the quality and output of light?

After 5 weeks of daily use, mine is quite badly scratched.
    Is the damage all the way into the glass itself (somewhat difficult) or just to the anti-reflective coating on the outside? Is it truly scratching from contact with sharp objects or is it more of a peeling?
    There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. - Edith Wharton HDS Clicky/Rotary Registry

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnNyne View Post
    Is the damage all the way into the glass itself (somewhat difficult) or just to the anti-reflective coating on the outside? Is it truly scratching from contact with sharp objects or is it more of a peeling?
    S9 - Scratches appear to be in the glass due to contact with other objects and forces of nature
    (mud, dirt, gravel, etc). Being a user of long fast Canon "L" glass, I'm quite familiar with proper
    cleaning techniques, but they are of little use when the scratches happen from use.

It's no big deal, I was just curious to the science behind the effects they will or will not have on
    the quality and output of this awesome beam.

Quote Originally Posted by Theatre Booth Guy View Post
    Those Ti Ra Twisties are BEAUTIFUL!
    Well worth a premium price. Is the bezel still stainless on the Ti's?
    The bezel is also titanium

Quote Originally Posted by seery View Post
    S9 - Scratches appear to be in the glass due to contact with other objects and forces of nature
    (mud, dirt, gravel, etc). Being a user of long fast Canon "L" glass, I'm quite familiar with proper
    cleaning techniques, but they are of little use when the scratches happen from use.

It's no big deal, I was just curious to the science behind the effects they will or will not have on
    the quality and output of this awesome beam.
    WOW! Seery scratched his window. AWESOME!

Would one of the windows on flashlightlens.com work as a replacement? I've also got a new (still in wrapper) plastic window for an HDS EDC- yours if you want it. Just drop me a PM with your addy and it'll go out Monday.

Flashaholic

There were just enough good parts to build the required lights. The seriously defective parts did not go to waste.
    Henry.
    Did any extra Ti bezels survive? I would be very interested in one.
    RC
    Ra 140C Prototype, HDS EDC U85, U60, MM 1 Watt Arc P, DD M@g 3D with UXIL Lux III.

I don't know if anything aftermarket would be thick enough to replace the stock lens on the Twisty. It's pretty darn thick.
    The only easy day was yesterday... now go run!

Flashaholic*

Henry,

Are there plans for making a Twisty without the stainless steel bezel?

Quote Originally Posted by Valpo Hawkeye View Post
    I don't know if anything aftermarket would be thick enough to replace the stock lens on the Twisty. It's pretty darn thick.
    Flashlightlens carries a replacement UCL for the Twisty thats 21.6mm x 2.89mm.

JohnTz,

Henry is modest. The story is simple for every one involved besides him; he did all of the work during a very busy part of his schedule to produce the lights. I am very grateful to him for his kindness in engaging in this project.

His actions embody the kind of unselfish kindness that occurs so often on CPF.

Henry, you are pretty fantastic!
    -Goatee

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    WOW! Seery scratched his window. AWESOME!
    That has a nice ring to it, catchy!...hehe...it put a smile on my face.

The scratches do give it nice character, and now it's officially a "beater" light.

I very much appreciate the offer on the lens. Thinking though that plastic may scratch
    even easier, but since unfamiliar with it, am just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    Flashlightlens carries a replacement UCL for the Twisty thats 21.6mm x 2.89mm.
    Steve - Thanks for the lead. Depending on what Henry says will definitely look into
    getting one. Although the way I use this light, if it's the same type of lens, will quickly
    end up scratched as well.

How about sapphire? Is it more durable?

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast