FourSevens        
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 553

Thread: Ra Twisty (HDS Systems) - Part 2

  1. #91
    Flashaholic* Chronos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Potomac, MD
    Posts
    1,757

    Evilgrin07 Ra Twisties In Repose

    We took the kids to the beach today and had a blast. For a diversion I decided to take a couple pics of the HDS Ra Twisties relaxing in the ocean waves. Yeah, took LOTS of pics of the kids too.

    We're heading back to the beach in a little while, as the kids have a blast watching the sand crabs run along the beach after dark. Yep, the Ra's will go with us.








    A few favorite lights from: McGizmo, Data, milkyspit, HDS, and Surefire

  2. #92

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona USA
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Seery,

    If the scratches are near the center there is no reason to worry about them. Most of the focused light passes through the outer part of the lens. We can supply you with a replacement lens if needed - when you are ready, just contact us.

    I am surprised you have succeeded in "badly scratching" the lens. It is well protected and the glass does not scratch easily. Are you regularly rubbing sandy dirt or mud on your lens? [From a later post, this is apparently what is happening.]

    Sapphire is more scratch resistant and we did a run of Sapphire lenses two years ago but they never saw the light of day - they are probably in a packing box or on some remote shelf. Anyway, they were expensive to make and I am not sure it is worth doing another run of them for the new lens size.

    JohnTz,

    If we do another run in titanium, it will be announced on CPF and it will be first come first serve. I am not taking pre-orders nor am I announcing a production run.

    Tsl,

    Other than stainless steel? As in what? Titanium or aluminum? Titanium could be a future material. Aluminum will probably not be a future material. But things change and I am willing to listen to arguments for and against.

    Henry.
    HdsSystems.com - advanced multilevel flashlights, RaLights.com - second brand for HDS Systems

  3. #93
    Flashaholic* HoopleHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    1,312

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    i can stare at Ti Twisty pics all day.

  4. #94
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,039

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Just read over 700 posts about this light (both threads completely - took almost 2 hours). I think I need one. I am surprised that so few people commented about the Seoul vs. Osram led options.

    I have an HDS and Novatac so I have a pretty good idea what the beam would look like. But I don't have a good idea about the Osram. How is the beam quality? Tint? A while ago the HDS site mentioned one was an ultra durable led (not sure which one), but the comment has been removed?

    Anyone feel strongly about the benefits of one vs. the other?

    If its only for an additional ~15-20 lumens, is there a good reason to get the Seoul? The efficiency looks somewhat similar. The Osram is supposed to have a narrower beam vs. the Seoul, but I haven't seen beamshots.
    I spend my days in the light thinking about flashlights in the dark

  5. #95
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    786

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Illumination View Post
    Just read over 700 posts about this light (both threads completely - took almost 2 hours). I think I need one. I am surprised that so few people commented about the Seoul vs. Osram led options.

    I have an HDS and Novatac so I have a pretty good idea what the beam would look like. But I don't have a good idea about the Osram. How is the beam quality? Tint? A while ago the HDS site mentioned one was an ultra durable led (not sure which one), but the comment has been removed?

    Anyone feel strongly about the benefits of one vs. the other?

    If its only for an additional ~15-20 lumens, is there a good reason to get the Seoul? The efficiency looks somewhat similar. The Osram is supposed to have a narrower beam vs. the Seoul, but I haven't seen beamshots.
    The Osram has a slightly narrower beam with a much smaller hotspot, generally a cooler slightly violet tint, and no artifacts whatsoever.
    Torches removed from sig to help keep searches relevant.

  6. #96

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Illumination View Post
    The Osram is supposed to have a narrower beam vs. the Seoul, but I haven't seen beamshots.
    Welcome to Twisty land

    If you like, you can see my review of the 85Tr that I own.. Lots of beamshots of it compared to a few other lights too... It can be found here or you can follow the info repository link in my signature.

    But you're right, no one has been able to put a Osram based Twisty against a Seoul based Twisty and produce beamshots for us....
    Last edited by Enzo Morocioli; 07-13-2008 at 12:26 AM.

  7. #97
    Moderator
    Kiessling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Germany, Old World
    Posts
    16,137

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    I have my 120 Twisty or whatever it is called and I have to say I like it, despite my prior bickering about the programmable UI.
    I still don't appreciate the programmable thing, but didn't manage to go there accidently, so everything is fine.

    The level spacing is just awesome, as is the light itself. Glad I bought it.

    bernie


    P.S.: what is the purpose of the metal surface at the rear end?
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr


    It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

  8. #98
    Flashaholic Theatre Booth Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    344

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    I have my 120 Twisty or whatever it is called and I have to say I like it, despite my prior bickering about the programmable UI.
    I still don't appreciate the programmable thing, but didn't manage to go there accidently, so everything is fine.

    The level spacing is just awesome, as is the light itself. Glad I bought it.

    bernie


    P.S.: what is the purpose of the metal surface at the rear end?
    Bernie,
    After reading through your many comments about the Twisty and specifically, the option of programming, I'm curious as to how you feel after some time with the light. Is it K.I.S.S. enough?

    For me, I really like being able to lower the low to the minimum and the medium by one notch. I don't expect to ever have to change my "custom" levels and am very happy to have had the choice for levels that are slightly better at meeting my needs.
    Brian

    After getting an HDS, other flashlights seem much less relevant (Except for some of the really special lights found on CPF!)
    When things are really dark, a dim light for a long time is much better than a blinding light for a short time.

  9. #99
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,039

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetnerd View Post
    The Osram has a slightly narrower beam with a much smaller hotspot, generally a cooler slightly violet tint, and no artifacts whatsoever.
    Thanks...I wonder why these LEDs arent used more often? I generally like warmer tints, but it is nice to know the beam is clean, without artifacts (unlike Crees, which almost always have rings).

    Are there any other well known lights that use the Osram? Is this the one that was known as the super-durable light on the early RA site?


    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo Morocioli View Post
    Welcome to Twisty land

    If you like, you can see my review of the 85Tr that I own.. Lots of beamshots of it compared to a few other lights too... It can be found here or you can follow the info repository link in my signature.

    But you're right, no one has been able to put a Osram based Twisty against a Seoul based Twisty and produce beamshots for us....
    Thanks! Awesome compilation/registry in your sig line, and thanks for the beamshots. I'm a bit surprised this light is larger than the Novatac...even if just a bit, given it is a twisty and not a clicky. That said, I don't like lights that are too small, especially for 'real' use.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    I have my 120 Twisty or whatever it is called and I have to say I like it, despite my prior bickering about the programmable UI.
    I still don't appreciate the programmable thing, but didn't manage to go there accidently, so everything is fine.

    The level spacing is just awesome, as is the light itself. Glad I bought it.

    bernie


    P.S.: what is the purpose of the metal surface at the rear end?
    I agree with you; I don't need programming...I have no need to switch between 15 and 20 lumens...in many ways simpler is better...with three levels ideal. The infinite levels made popular by the Photon, Jetbeams and especially the D10/EX10 sound neat to me, but to me the infinite-level option seems like a novelty. (I actually have the Photon and IBS and never use more than a high, low and middle setting.)

    Good to hear you never slipped into it accidentally (but given the number of people that tried unsuccessfully for weeks to find it, I am not surprised).

    When this light first came out I thought it was dam ugly, but I've grown to really appreciate it. I think I am pulling the plug this weekend.
    I spend my days in the light thinking about flashlights in the dark

  10. #100
    Moderator
    Kiessling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Germany, Old World
    Posts
    16,137

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    It surely is KISS enough, and I sure as hell didn't even read the instructions how to program it

    I find the factory settings Henry chose very satisfying. No need to change anything for me. Except that I'd like the programming option removed, of course

    I do miss the 2-stage momentary
    of the SF L1 or the PD though.

    Overall I am quite satisfied with the Twisty.

    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr


    It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

  11. #101

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    I do miss the 2-stage momentary
    of the SF L1 or the PD though.

    Overall I am quite satisfied with the Twisty.

    bernie
    Bernie,
    Momentary is not totally lost with the Twisty! .. Basically just turn it to the level you want, and then right up to the threshhold of the next level.. If you grip the light around the head portion, and push down on the back of the tailcap, you will find there's just enough 'give' to let you momentarily switch from one level to the other.

    It isn't quite as easy, true, or satisfying as the SF L1 momentary method because you still have to twist for off.. But it does work for getting that next level temporarily, and I find myself doing it often enough to say it's worth the extra effort of the thumb.

    Thanks to the Twisty, I can probably beat anyone at thumb wrestling.

    Edit: ... I was thinking about it further, and the thought, "Can using the Twisty with this momentary method damage the threads over time, or cause other unforeseen issues?"..
    Last edited by Enzo Morocioli; 07-13-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: removed "the", added another thought

  12. #102
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    569

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by HDS_Systems View Post
    Other than stainless steel? As in what? Titanium or aluminum? Titanium could be a future material. Aluminum will probably not be a future material. But things change and I am willing to listen to arguments for and against.
    Henry, I was thinking more along the lines of the old HDS ... a one tone light, something more understated.

  13. #103
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    504

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    I still don't appreciate the programmable thing, but didn't manage to go there accidently, so everything is fine.
    Unless you remove the battery for 1 minute and then within 10 sec of replacing battery you do another step 20 cycles you are not going to get into the programming. What's the odds of that accidentally happening?

  14. #104
    Flashaholic tricker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    408

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    0
    i happen to like my flashlights twisted, not clicked

  15. #105
    Flashaholic* seery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,547

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by HDS_Systems View Post
    Seery,

    If the scratches are near the center there is no reason to worry about them. Most of the focused light passes through the outer part of the lens. We can supply you with a replacement lens if needed - when you are ready, just contact us.

    I am surprised you have succeeded in "badly scratching" the lens. It is well protected and the glass does not scratch easily. Are you regularly rubbing sandy dirt or mud on your lens? [From a later post, this is apparently what is happening.]

    Sapphire is more scratch resistant and we did a run of Sapphire lenses two years ago but they never saw the light of day - they are probably in a packing box or on some remote shelf. Anyway, they were expensive to make and I am not sure it is worth doing another run of them for the new lens size.


    Henry.
    I was a bit surprised also. The light has seen a lot of use for night
    time fishing and snorkeling, the former can be tough on lights.

    Would be in for 2-4 sapphire lenses should you decide to make a
    run of them.

    When and if it gets bad enough to easily notice the effects on the
    quality of output, I'll drop you a line for a replacement.

    Thanks Henry for the response, much appreciated.

  16. #106
    Moderator
    Kiessling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Germany, Old World
    Posts
    16,137

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by sbebenelli View Post
    Unless you remove the battery for 1 minute and then within 10 sec of replacing battery you do another step 20 cycles you are not going to get into the programming. What's the odds of that accidentally happening?
    Not zero.
    Which is enough for me.

    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr


    It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

  17. #107
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    504

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    Not zero.
    Which is enough for me.

    bernie
    At least you bought one anyway. That's the first step in the 5 step program you know.

  18. #108
    Flashaholic paxxus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    313

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    Not zero.
    Which is enough for me.

    bernie
    Isn't there a non-zero quantum mechanical possibility that your favorite non-programmable light will suddenly become programmable?

  19. #109
    Moderator
    Kiessling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Germany, Old World
    Posts
    16,137

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Hey guys ... just for you ... I send you ...



    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr


    It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

  20. #110

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona USA
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Tsl,

    Ah, such as a black bezel. Black hates staying on stainless, but I have found a production process that will work. After carrying a black bezel in my pocked for almost a month - along with keys, change, knife, etc., there were no scratches in the black surface treatment. It looks very nice on the light if you want a muted appearance.

    Henry.
    HdsSystems.com - advanced multilevel flashlights, RaLights.com - second brand for HDS Systems

  21. #111
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    569

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by HDS_Systems View Post
    Ah, such as a black bezel. Black hates staying on stainless, but I have found a production process that will work. After carrying a black bezel in my pocked for almost a month - along with keys, change, knife, etc., there were no scratches in the black surface treatment. It looks very nice on the light if you want a muted appearance.
    Henry,

    Will we have an option of ordering something like that in the future? If so, any pics of what the light would look like?

  22. #112
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    341

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    I have found something interesting. When I enter into the programming mode, I can go past the 3 blinks what would normally be used to set the high level. I land the three blinks on the low setting and then go straight to maximum. this essentially cycles to the 4th level as I pass through medium on my way to max. I have found that this resets the light to the factory defaults. Anyone else experience this? I tried to do the published factory reset, and never could get it to work. I can get my light all wacked out and still reset it to factory defaults through the program menu using this technique. Interesting

  23. #113

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by dixemon View Post
    I have found something interesting. When I enter into the programming mode, I can go past the 3 blinks what would normally be used to set the high level. I land the three blinks on the low setting and then go straight to maximum. this essentially cycles to the 4th level as I pass through medium on my way to max. I have found that this resets the light to the factory defaults. Anyone else experience this? I tried to do the published factory reset, and never could get it to work. I can get my light all wacked out and still reset it to factory defaults through the program menu using this technique. Interesting
    I think Henry already pointed this out on the Twisty Customize page:
    "
    • Your flashlight will single-flash about once a second to indicate it is ready to change the low setting. Turn your flashlight from medium to low and back to medium to select the medium setting, indicated by a double-blink. Repeat the medium to low to medium sequence to select the high setting, indicated by a triple-blink. Repeat the sequence again to select factory reset, indicated by rapid flashing. Repeating the sequence wraps back to the low setting."
    Is what you have found different?
    Last edited by Enzo Morocioli; 07-16-2008 at 07:50 PM.

  24. #114
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    341

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Ok, so I missed that part of the brief.

  25. #115

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Quote Originally Posted by dixemon View Post
    Ok, so I missed that part of the brief.
    It's alright, missing something is easy when there's so much to read.

  26. #116
    Flashaholic* adamlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,083

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Definitely a sapphire lens. I will wait on a Ra until then .
    强光手电是我最爱得

  27. #117
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Golden Poppy State
    Posts
    1,236

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Henry,
    I use this light every night as a night light. It's great bezel down on the night stand. The only problem is the battery is worn down during the night and it has very limited high output available before it starts to blink the next day (120TW). I hate the every minute blinking when the battery is low, maybe every five minutes would be better.
    So, I was wondering when the 18670 battery tube is scheduled to be released? I could not find this answer in the thread, but I may have missed it.
    Thanks!

  28. #118

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona USA
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Tsl,

    That is the plan. We will post a photo when we are ready to sell them. The production process will take a couple of months.

    Drywolf,

    They are at the machine shop as we speak. I expect delivery in the next couple of weeks.

    Henry.
    HdsSystems.com - advanced multilevel flashlights, RaLights.com - second brand for HDS Systems

  29. #119
    Flashaholic* Moka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Down-Under, Third Rock...
    Posts
    518

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    The black coated bezels, couple of questions? Will they be custom ie: have our serial number engraved on them... and what is the coating? (Will it prevent the electrolytic corrosion listed earlier in the piece???

  30. #120

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona USA
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

    Moka,

    An interesting thought - customizing them. It is a lot of overhead to customize things quantity 1 and fairly expensive. My original plan was not to customize them. If you purchased one as an accessory, it would have the normal engraving but without the serial number line. You would have to specify if it was for a Ra Twisty or Ra Clicky when you ordered it.

    We have not done any corrosion testing on the coating.

    Henry.
    HdsSystems.com - advanced multilevel flashlights, RaLights.com - second brand for HDS Systems

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •