Wuben        
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Ra Twisty (HDS Systems) - Part 2

Default Re: Ra Twisty part 2

Point taken on the Customs...
    Any word on the Ti Bezel?? That one's one I along with many others are eagerly awaiting... lol

What are you actually using for the coating???

In trying not to make this sound like a "Good Deal", I'd like to point out to those who may not have noticed, that the prices on Ra Twisties sold at batterystation have dropped considerably. You can also now buy the stock battery tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo Morocioli View Post
    In trying not to make this sound like a "Good Deal", I'd like to point out to those who may not have noticed, that the prices on Ra Twisties sold at batterystation have dropped considerably. You can also now buy the stock battery tube.

All Ra Lights dealers received new price schedules yesterday.

Our prices are also adjusted accordingly.
    uniquetitanium.com

You can also now buy the stock battery tube.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you want that

Quote Originally Posted by paxxus View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you want that
    Hm..Well... that's a damn good question... Maybe they just have a rather large amount of them? Or perhaps there's some added benefit of getting a new tail if the original gets beat up?... I guess i'm missing as much as you are..

Hm..Well... that's a damn good question... Maybe they just have a rather large amount of them? Or perhaps there's some added benefit of getting a new tail if the original gets beat up?... I guess i'm missing as much as you are..
    Well as soon as Henry makes battery caps you got your battery holder.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Well as soon as Henry makes battery caps you got your battery holder.
    Oh yeah, that's true... Though all I personally need is a cap.. I don't need the extra tube...Unless it's a 2xAA with a nice clip.

Paxxus,

Some people like to drill and tap the tail of their lights for screws. This way they do not have to work on their original tail.

Henry.
    HdsSystems.com - advanced multilevel flashlights, RaLights.com - second brand for HDS Systems

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by HDS_Systems View Post
    Paxxus,

Some people like to drill and tap the tail of their lights for screws. This way they do not have to work on their original tail.

Henry.
    ...or you could just use the existing holes, like i did:

Edumacated,

That clip looks great!...

Sell some?

Ah yes...My twisty is glowing...

Enzo Morocioli,

Very nice. Do you have a close up showing how you epoxied the tritium sources into the shallows? Am I correct you just set them in some clear epoxy and put a few layers of clear epoxy over them? I think others may be interested in doing the same.

That is an excellent mod project.

Henry.
    HdsSystems.com - advanced multilevel flashlights, RaLights.com - second brand for HDS Systems

Quote Originally Posted by HDS_Systems View Post
    Enzo Morocioli,

Very nice. Do you have a close up showing how you epoxied the tritium sources into the shallows? Am I correct you just set them in some clear epoxy and put a few layers of clear epoxy over them? I think others may be interested in doing the same.

That is an excellent mod project.

Henry.
    Well.. I must admit. I intended to use tritium at first, and investigated the cost and availability of attempting such a feat.. Quickly I realized that tritium is too sparse, and relatively expensive at that for me to purchase and experiment with for the first time... Also the nature of it being radioactive isotopes puts me off, in that I could drop the Twisty and chip or crack a vile.

While still wanting to complete the project of making the Twisty easier to see/find at night, I came to the conclusion that glow in the dark paint might be a more cost effective method. And safe too!

So what you see in that picture isn't tritium set in epoxy, but rather carefully molded piles Ultra Green v10 Glow in the Dark Paint. It's a solvent-based acrylic with fine granules of glow powder mixed in. Once it dries, it's very durable and nothing to worry about if I accidentally drop the Twisty.

It isn't runny like nail polish, so building it up into the shallows of the bezel was very easy to control. Once it began to tack up, I shaped it to the slope of the bezel with my fingers and let it harden..

Now, using the Twisty as normal during the evening and night charges up the GITD material and makes it nice and visible for about 20 minutes, followed by a long 10 hour trail of glow. It has really improved the visibility of the Twisty, since before it would blend into the darkness rather easily. Now if I pay attention, I can spot the bezel glowing and know where to reach if I need to in a hurry.

I'm glad you like what I've done.. Considering that I payed so little for a bottle of glow paint, I'd say it really worked perfectly in the scope of my project. The best part is that the Twisty remains durable. I don't have to worry about dropping it, and I can always reapply some glow if it chips off over time.

Your mod looks really cool - in the dark at least . I recently got a Raw NS with four trits and I'm really hooked on trits now. It is extremely useful and glows forever and looks cool too. A tritium option with a Ra light could be awesome. I understand that there are import/export issues with tritium in the US, but how about an option to have the slots pre-machined and people could then source and fit the vials themselves...

If the slots are cut deep enough there should be no chance of breakage. And BTW, tritium is not very dangerous since it cannot penetrate even a thin barrier (e.g. skin, paper).

Here's a close up of the bezel during the day..

It's surely not as slick as tritium. However, I think glow paint is far more practical. SaturnNyne calls it "Ghetto Glow"...

I do not call it ghetto glow! Ok maybe I did once. I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of... compromising the classy looks of such an expensive and slick looking light, but I do admit the radioactive sea foam bezel look has a certain functional street cred to it that would be lacking in a delicate $70+ tritium implementation.
    There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. - Edith Wharton HDS Clicky/Rotary Registry

Enlightened

Henry,

any update on the pocket clip? I've been sooooooo very patient but I'm afraid it gets more difficult day by day to wait on purchasing this light! Can you at least tell me if the clip can be attached to an existing twisty? If not, can it be purchased with a new end cap to use with existing lights?

I don't want to wait anymore to buy my twisty, but I really want a pocket clip.

What's a guy to do?

Evilgrin07 Re: Ra Twisty part 2

Enzo M,

I applaud the effort.

How about glow paint in the recessed areas of the tailcap? Less prone to damage, and I'd guess that even when tailstanding a glow may be emitted from the lanyard holes. Hmmm.

I've been traveling for weeks now and always have a Ra and my trusty modded HDS with me.

Edjusted, just buy the light! The clips, tailcaps, etc. will come. Just break down and enjoy the light. Life is far too short- one never knows what will happen in the next few moments, and it would be a shame to pass through this life with any regrets...

Was that motivational enough?

The esteemed > once stated something to the effect that he knew the Ra Twisty would be appreciated once people started receiving them. I was honestly on the fence initially, but I had to try it out. Besides, the goatster can be pretty convincing. He should be in sales. Hell, any knives, lights, etc that are rugged and good looking piques my interest anyway. FWIW I bought an early 100-TW and love it.
    A few favorite lights from: McGizmo, Data, milkyspit, HDS, and Surefire

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Enzo M,

I applaud the effort.

How about glow paint in the recessed areas of the tailcap? Less prone to damage, and I'd guess that even when tailstanding a glow may be emitted from the lanyard holes. Hmmm.

That would make it alot harder to charge the glow paint. You wouldn't be able to recharge it without another light source.

Quote Originally Posted by CPEng View Post
    That would make it alot harder to charge the glow paint. You wouldn't be able to recharge it without another light source.
    I put glow paint on the rear of the tailcap too. I'll post a picture later...
    It does actually get pretty well charged throughout the day, since I pocket carry the Twisty. It doesn't glow brightly at night, but it does glow enough to notice it if there are no other light sources to compete with.

Has anyone else tried attaching a NovaTac clip under the Twisty bezel for bezel up carry?

This seems to work fine, I replaced one of the lens sealing O-rings with a slightly beefier one of the same diameter in order to take up the slack that the thickness of the NovaTac clip adds. I am getting plenty of o-ring compression and am able to screw the bezel down with enough force to lock the clip in place. The clip, although not exactly the perfect length for this application, fits pretty well and functions perfectly. I'm thinking the older style NovaTac clip might fit even better.

I'll post a photo if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by LLCoolBeans View Post
    Has anyone else tried attaching a NovaTac clip under the Twisty bezel for bezel up carry?

Oh i'm interested!
    Sounds like a pretty cool idea...

Flashaholic

This seems to work fine, I replaced one of the lens sealing O-rings with a slightly beefier one of the same diameter in order to take up the slack that the thickness of the NovaTac clip adds. I am getting plenty of o-ring compression and am able to screw the bezel down with enough force to lock the clip in place. The clip, although not exactly the perfect length for this application, fits pretty well and functions perfectly. I'm thinking the older style NovaTac clip might fit even better.

Let's see it!

Why not?

Wow LL..

That looks pretty satisfactory..The length seems great if you ask me...
    Nice work!

Wow LL..

That looks pretty satisfactory..The length seems great if you ask me...
    Nice work!
    +1

Well done LLCool!

Why not?
    Thank you for that great idea. I took the TI-clip from wvaltakis2 and it looks very cool
    Rainer
    h8 2 w8

Flashaholic

Ive been using this Mcgizmo clip for about a month now. It carries really nice in the pocket and is very sturdy. I do however prefer bezel up carry for cliping onto the hat brim though. Im glad to see I have an option with my novatac clip If I choose to change them out.

Great clip pics from the both of ya! McG clip=

Mayo
    Torch Collection

*Where fact is fiction and TV, reality*

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast