Dosun R5 and R6 - beating the UA2 and UB2 to market?

extremetito

Newly Enlightened
New on the Fenix-store site today are the Fenix E20 with adjustable focus, and the Dosun R5 and R6 with a selector ring to adjust output/modes.
Isn't it just a matter of time that one of the major Chinese players combines these features with a quad-die emitter? And prices it under $279?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Beating the UA2 and UB2 to market

You are very possibly right. But I do not think surefire will have any problem with sales of their new lights, weather they are first to market or not.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those Dosun look like some serious quality and feature laden lights - definitely some competition aimed at the SF market it would seem. And about one third the price. Looks like one to add to the want list ... :)

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, the E20 is only $38. That's pretty inexpensive. I may just a few to keep in car, bug out bag, and give to friends/family.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

New on the Fenix-store site today are the Fenix E20 with adjustable focus,

Highly efficient smooth reflector with focus-adjustable head - throws beam over 100 meters

so it is a single level light with a reflector head that moves.

sounds like a Maglite Minimag LED with a better heatsinking method and a clickie tailcap.

anyone remember how the smooth, adjustable focus reflector worked out for the Minimag LED?:shrug:

fasuto

Enlightened

Those Dosun look like some serious quality and feature laden lights - definitely some competition aimed at the SF market it would seem. And about one third the price. Looks like one to add to the want list ... :)

Yes, dosun lights are quite promising. I like their waterproof to 30 rating (if true).

Gado

Newly Enlightened

I like how they tested the E20 with an Eneloop battery.

Wattnot

Enlightened

All three of the lights mentioned in the first post are Crees. The E20 says 109 lumens and the Dosun's don't mention lumens. Why would anyone think these are aimed at Surefire's P7 lights? I like Fenixes products a lot but Surefire has nothing to worry about with those.

dandruff

Enlightened

wow! damn might just need to get one of those to help me with my UA2 wait!

i personally cant wait to see a focusable multilevel p7 chinese light!!

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

i thought that was a pressurized chamber to simulate the depth...:duh2:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Dosun R6 looks like a winner. Might have to pick one of those puppies :) .

EV_007

Enlightened

I wouldn't say they are being "beat" to the market.

Different designs and output as well as the form factor and build. Not to mention their target market.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

In order to steal a significant portion of Surefire's UB2 sales, I think they will have to offer a light with the SSC P7 and 18650 compatibility. As well as the selector ring and ability to use 2 x CR123.

dandruff

Enlightened

In order to steal a significant portion of Surefire's UB2 sales, I think they will have to offer a light with the SSC P7 and 18650 compatibility. As well as the selector ring and ability to use 2 x CR123.

the UB2 can take a 18650?

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened

the UB2 can take a 18650?

We don't know yet. I have an 18650 battery, measuring clamps, and something to check the depth ready to go. So when my local store gets one, I will find out if the Uab2 can take a 18650 or if it has enough metal to bore it out. Keep your fingers crossed. I also talked to a flashlight modder if he would make clone body to accept 18650s. His implied answer was yes if there was enough interest.

Just to state it now, if the bodies have to be made. I AM FIRST IN LINE!!!!

lyrrag

Newly Enlightened

The Dosun Flashlight series seems to be a serious contender in the premium flashlight wars. The only question would be, will the company still be around to honor the warranty and how good is the service? I know 4sevens (The Fenix Store) service is excellent and would not bring in the light if it isn't of high quality so that part of the equation is solved in my mind. Just thinking in print.

The e20 is a must have to my collection so the waiting begins.

lyrrag

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

it's interesting to see the enthusiasm the E20 is getting, considering the fact that it uses nothing more than a Maglite-type focus method, and maybe people haven't been long enough to remember the loathing that the Minimag LED got with its "focusable" beam.