Computer problem: delayed write failed, can't write to a drive

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm getting some errors that I don't really understand. Several times a day, I'll get a little pop-up bubble saying that a delayed write failed in my external hard drive (I don't remember the filename it mentions, but I'll edit in into here when I see it again). Today, I tried to make a new folder on that drive, and it gives me:

"Unable to create the folder 'New Folder'
The system cannot find the file specified."

I can't create any other kind of file or paste anything into there, either.

Anyone know what's going on and how to fix it?

mechBgon

Enlightened
1) what operating system are you using?

2) what interface is the external drive using (USB, Firewire, eSATA, magic)

3) some info about your computer's hardware, or the brand & model of it if it's a Happy Meal™ pre-built computer?

(quick-&-dirty suggestion: if it's WinXP or Vista, you could try disabling Write Cacheing on the drive, which you do by opening Device Manager, expanding Disk Drives, right-clicking the drive, and you should see what to do)

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
this problem often happens when "Writeback Caching" aka "Lazy Writes" are enabled for a removeable device. This feature is also known as "Optimize for Performance" in some Windows operating systems.

What could be happening in your case is that you had created a file or folder or were writing (backing up???) a file or files (often occurs when writing a large volume of data - either one large file or many files). The indication that you were copying to your external storage device had vanished from your screen, *BUT* the data was *NOT* yet fully written to your ext. storage device. It was being cached and would be written at a more opportune moment, i.e. when the "bus" was quiescent and not being used by another process.

Before this unwritten data in cache could be written out, the ext. storage device was manually disconnected (aka "not safely removed").

What may correct this situation is to reconnect the SAME ext. storage device (some aspects of your description leads me to believe that you may have had a different device plugged in at some point - this used to happen more frequently in the floppy disk "era", but happens nowadays with multiple flash-memory devices and ext. HD's) and see if the write-back caching finishes - please wait up to two minutes (not sure of the maximum write-back delay on your system - common times are 10sec to 1min; some older OS's could wait up to 10min in extreme cases).

also, make sure to perform an orderly (aka "civilized") removal of the device under software control and wait until the OS tells you that "you can now safely remove the device" (or some such wording), i.e. just don't manually unplug the device. please use the software initiated and assisted "civilized" removal process appropriate for your particular OS.

if you are using some "flavors" of the Windows OS, you can change the hardware policy from "Optimize for Performance" to "Optimize for Quick Removal" (i do this for all of my ext. storage devices - both ext. HD's and so-called thumb/key "flash-memory" drives/devices). this will disable write-back caching so that when the OS's/application's (as the case may be) indication that a file has finished being copied/written/saved, the operation is truly complete as no write-back caching occurs. also, the device may be simply unplugged without performing a "safe removal" under software control *IF* the caching policy is changed to "Optomize for quick removal" (much more convenient, IMO).

to perform this change under some "flavors" of Windows, do the following:

1. open My Computer

2. right-click on a drive

3. select the Properties menu-item on the context sensitive right-click pop-up menu that appears in response to step#2 immediately above

4. click the Hardware tab

5. click the drive in the list that you want to change the caching "Policy" for.

6. click the Properites button

7. click the Policies tab

8. click the "Optimize for quick removal" option button (aka "radio button")

9. click "OK"

10. click "OK"

11. close My Computer.

12. you're done.

please Post-back if this procedure is unclear or i have misunderstood the nature of your problem.

EDIT:
if all else fails, you could try to reboot. oh,...BTW, the file that was not properly closed out, or only partially written to your ext. storage device at the time that the device was unplugged/removed from the computer might be corrupt unless the "lazy write" is able to finish/complete whatever it was doing (e.g. writing out the file, or "closing" the "fully" written file).

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried the recommendations, and didn't get anywhere. I figured that I'd try connecting it to another computer. I was about to plug in the 6-pin power plug, but when I looked at the pins, one of them was bent right up against another! I pried them apart so it plugged in properly, but it still didn't power the thing properly (enclosure's internal fan going really slow, and loud as well).

I unplugged one of my internal HDDs, replaced it with the one inside the external one, and discovered that the drive itself works perfectly. So, I'm just going to pick up a new enclosure and I'll be set.

Thanks for the help, guys! :wave:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE
I posted this before checking to see what the drive was set for and "Optimize for quick removal" was picked.
I switched to see what happens.
Don't bet on it. I have the same problem and it happens with any USB device that I use to backup files.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
8. click the "Optimize for quick removal" option button (aka "radio button")

that might be a problem, that feature on my computer is...well, shaded out:(

<and yes, we have an aviary built on the side of the house...a 400 sq ft cage>

same here David, I get that message from my maxtor whenever I charge my MP3 on the computer.
Apparently the computer thinks that the maxtor is F:\ but the Mp3 must also be a F:\ and despite having all drive names from C:\ to Z:\ open to use whenever the Mp3 is docked the Maxtor will throw the message even after I undocked the Mp3 and restarted. It will only recover when I pull the firewire plug BEFORE I hit safely remove hardware [if you try and "safely remove" it before pulling the cord, it will tell you that the hardware cannot be removed] then plug it back in.

the maxtor is a basic 200GB
------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: INTEL
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1016MB RAM
Page File: 551MB used, 1891MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Video Card name: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
Sound Card: C-Media Rear Panel Audio
Full Sys specs here

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went down to Fry's and got a new FireWire enclosure. I have a front-facing FireWire port that I never use, while I sometimes run out of front-facing USB ports, so that's handy. The DC plug that the new enclosure uses has four pins, each one three times thicker than the pins on the old one.

The drive works properly now. XP can Safely Remove it, I can put new folders/files on it, and I have much more faith in the pins. :)

I just wish the thing was a little quieter... :sick2:

Illum

Flashaholic
I just wish the thing was a little quieter... :sick2:

I take it you bought a fan equipped enclosure, yeah I thought about those but then I thought "I'd rather have poor performance [since it isn't my primary drive anyway] than to sacrifice my silence." You have an empty drawer don't you? route the wires in and stuff some bubble wrap on top of it.

Still use this table David?

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, no fan - just the drive. The noise level worried me, but I looked up the sound of a failing (clicking) hard drive, and mine sounds nothing like that. I think that as long as it's just a bit of normal operating noise, I can get used to it.

Illum

Flashaholic
Nope, no fan - just the drive. The noise level worried me, but I looked up the sound of a failing (clicking) hard drive, and mine sounds nothing like that. I think that as long as it's just a bit of normal operating noise, I can get used to it.

I've worked with 10,000 RPM drives and typically the noise originates from the enclosure vibrating during the time when the drive is being read/written.
The sound of a failing drive should be unmistakable [mine dounded like a washing machine with too much flashlights stuffed in it before it went :poof:]

Care to tell what company did you buy the external HD enclosure from ? :grin2:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've worked with 10,000 RPM drives and typically the noise originates from the enclosure vibrating during the time when the drive is being read/written.
The sound of a failing drive should be unmistakable [mine dounded like a washing machine with too much flashlights stuffed in it before it went :poof:]

Care to tell what company did you buy the external HD enclosure from ? :grin2:
The old one with the frail pins is from Apricorn (EZ Bus DT), and the new one is from AcomData.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem may be with the chipset in the enclosure you were using. The Prolific PL-3507 chipset was riddled with problems.

I just did a quick Google, and it seems the unit you had has a Cypress chipset, which seems to have a pretty good reputation. :)

I am glad you worked it out with a new enclosure.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3, so now that its been fixed have you shot the old enclosure with that winchester of yours yet?:nana:
:crackup: Are you kidding? It has a bunch of nice aluminum! I'm going to take it apart for scrap metal! :grin2:

And I don't have a Winchester. I have a Marlin, a Mosin-Nagant, a Remington/Baikal, and, next week, another Remington/Baikal.

Illum

Flashaholic
:crackup: Are you kidding? It has a bunch of nice aluminum! I'm going to take it apart for scrap metal! :grin2:

And I don't have a Winchester. I have a Marlin, a Mosin-Nagant, a Remington/Baikal, and, next week, another Remington/Baikal.

well, your always short of heatsinks:nana:
I was thinking of this beauty Mr. Brass:twothumbs

Last edited: