Cheap Clickie Switch for a SF G2

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
To make a cheap clikie switch for the SF G2 all you need is a Kroll switch and a piece of almuninum foil.

**ADDED**
I cannot take credit for this mod....I got it from someone on the CPF, but don't remember who.

Remove the switch from the G2 but leave the rubber cap in the tail cap.
switch1.jpg

Take the rubber cap off of the Kroll.

switch2.jpg

Wrap enought foil around the threads of the Kroll....

switch3.jpg

...to make the switch fit snuggly in the G2.

switch4.jpg

Put the G2 back together and you shoud now have a clickie switch. I would suggest that the batteries be installed from the LA end of the G2 to avoid messing withthe switch.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Cool Roy! Thanks (as he heads to the kitchen to find a roll of aluminum foil)...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Roy,

Cool mod! I must admit that your simple idea will likely cut into the sales of the Kroll Classic sleeve soon to be offered on Wayne's store. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh well, the sleeve does have nickel plating so it might have lower resistance............. (hard to sell against something that's free! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

- Don

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not annoucing a product in advance is certainly a double edged sword.

Announce "IA" and:

-people might wait for the new product rather than purchasing something you already make
-people will complain when you don't meet the deadline or features aren't exactly as described
-someone might use your idea and get a product out first

Don't annouce and:

-people will buy something else and won't have a need or desire to purchase your product when it comes out
-someone will come out with same or similar product before y ours and YOURs will be the copy

Don, you've dropped hints recently as to what your flashlight hobby collaboration (its becoming more a business every day it seems) will be selling in the future. Just keep in mind the points written above... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A little off topic, but I felt the need to say something. The G2 mod looks good, Roy. Perhaps I'll get a G2 someday.

Mark

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Well, looks like I'm gonna go out and buy a G2 and Kroll switch (too bad the only thing in my possession for this is the aluminum foil).

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Minjin,

Seems that sometimes one (me), is dumb if they do and dumb if they don't. I think I understand the concepts you cited above. Frankly I don't like to say something is going to happen at a specific future date if it involves aspects and conditions to be met that I have no control over. I'm also not clear now on where a line between mods or short runs for sale and true business (to use your term) lies. Perhaps I am now in violation of the new Ad rules.

Anyway, a Kroll "classic" module is now available in Wayne's New Shop

Instead of posting here in Roy's thread, I had intended to resurrect the original thread on this part but I'll be damned if I could find it in the archives! Forgive me Roy for stepping once again on your thread.

- Don

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bart,

Thanks but those aren't the thread.

Mr. Blue,

The "classic" module will onlywork on the larger diameter SF's of the classic or original size; P series, C series, D series and G series and the M2. It will not work on the E series but never fear, SF has their own E series clickie close to being avilable.

- Don

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to bring this thread back up because I've noticed a lot of newer CPFer's are "discovering" the G2, (including ME and I'm not new!). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is one of those really neat, ingenious conversions that is so simple and works so well that it's incredible! For the inexpensive price of a simple Kroll, you can have a clickie on your G2.

This conversion in my estimation is even better than the drop-in ones for much more money sold elsewhere. What I REALLY like about this conversion is it gets rid of that unsightly gap between the body and the tailcap. The stock G2 comes with that silly gap and it is even more pronounced in the expensive conversion.

If you have a G2, try this. It's a simple and cheap but fabulous way to give your G2 a "clickie" and it gets rid of that ugly gap between the body and tailcap because with this mod, the tailcap now screws down tightly against the body! Nice stuff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

davidra

Enlightened
None of the links for buying the switch are still active. Where can we buy one?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
toopid question of the day: does this work on the 6P and C-series tailcaps? I'm guessing not, but.

Also, how do you go about removing the insides of the G2 tailcap? I'm looking at a 6P (don't have a G2), it looks VERY solidly fastened down, as it should be.

jbev

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about trying something like this on a C series tail cap. The 2 I have don't seem to have any readily apparent way of being removed from the outer casing. I look down in there under the spring and I just see a smooth round nipple staring back at me. One of my older M series caps had a head for an allen wrench. I have yet to find the thread where they got them apart.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
An old thread is re-born!

I tried to do this last night, and once I installed the modified switch, the G2 remained on regardless of whether the switch was on or off. I tried re-wrapping the foil, cutting the foil strip to different widths, etc., and kept getting the same results.

At the risk of sounding lame, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks, all!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys the newer SF LOTC's have gone to a plastic button and instead of a screw fastening the button to the main body (part that hosts the contact spring) a spiraled pin is driven into the plastic button. If you grab the main body with some nedle nose pliers, you can pull it, along with the spiraled pin out of the tail cap. You can then remove the threaded boot retaining nut and boot for complete disassembly.