Did i get a counterfit or a unique maglite!?

Here it is! i got it off ebay. The "unique" thing about it is around the head it says "MINI MAGLITE™" instead of "MINI MAGLITE®" Of course it also says "MFG BY MAG INSTRUMENT - ONTARIO, CA.- USA here is a pic of it although it is hard to see the engraving around the head due to the light reflecting off it.

2578525374_1be0ce5bab.jpg

http://flickr.com/photos/dieselducy/2578525374/
IMAGE HOSTED ON FLICKR

Last edited:

generic808

Enlightened
I don't think anyone would go through the hassle to bootleg a $10 light. As Tricker said, it's probably just an older model.

Al Combs

Enlightened
Here it is! i got it off ebay. The "unique" thing about it is around the head it says "MINI MAGLITE™" instead of "MINI MAGLITE®"

I have a 20+ year old MiniMag that says, "™" instead of, "®". As tricker said, it's just old.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Diesel, AFAIK, those gold anodized went out of prodcution back in th 80s. From your pic, it looks to me like that light has the "old" lettering pattern. In other words, as far as I can tell, it's one of the original, old stock minimags.

DaveG

Enlightened
Looks like the one I have,got mine in a gun store about 15 yrs ago.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I didn't think it was counterfit as the seller on ebay has a great reputation. anyway. i paid 24.99 plus 5 shipping, was that a good price??
Depending on how many flashaholics/minimag collectors are watching the auctions, old lights like that one can go up to double that price.

I think you paid a fair price for it.

Robert15

Newly Enlightened
As others have said, it's just an older light.

I have a couple of Mini Maglites with "™" instead of "®". My 2 oldest Solitaires and my oldest D Maglite also have "™".

We could probably find the date when the trademark registration was granted...

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hey DieselDucy --

Glad to see ya' around, again ! :wave:

Oh, by the way . . . .

Tell your "Hand Model" to get a manicure before the next PhotoShoot.

:whistle:

PS: that's a lovely Mini-Maglite ! :thumbsup:
_

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to be OT, but Burgess, you crack me up! (Actually, I was thinking the same thing...just not brave enough to post about it...)

Back on track, that light is very pretty--too bad it is a Gag.

Aluminous

Enlightened
Sorry to be OT, but Burgess, you crack me up! (Actually, I was thinking the same thing...just not brave enough to post about it...)

Back on track, that light is very pretty--too bad it is a Gag.
A gag? :confused: Please elaborate, I don't understand. The thread linked to by Tricker doesn't explain anything.

I found the Ebay item posted by ConfederateScott, which sold for $24.99 (+$5 shipping):

http://cgi.ebay.com/?ViewItem&item=180249269863
seller in ebay item description said:
This is a gold annodized aluminum AA MiniMag flashlight. This light was bought new in 1989. It was put on a display shelf and has only been taken down to wipe off the dust. It still works when batteries are installed. This is a very unique collectible flashlight. A limited number was produced and Mag Industries has stated that no more will be manufactured. If you just want something unique as a gift or if you want something to add to your collection then this is the one. Similar Mini Mag flashlights gold in color have sold on ebay recently for over a hundred dollars. The condition of this one can be rated 10 out of 10. Buyer pays $5.00 shipping.
seller in an answer to a question on the ebay item said:
The brass basemetal gold plated is not the only rare gold mini-mag. The ones you describe is much more in demand and more valuable. However the gold annodized aluminum model such as this one is rare also. Neither gold minimag has been made since at least 1988. To clarify...this is the annodized aluminum gold minimag. Not the gold plated brass model.

Last edited:

Aluminous

Enlightened
I have a 20+ year old MiniMag that says, "™" instead of, "®". As tricker said, it's just old.

Diesel, AFAIK, those gold anodized went out of prodcution back in th 80s. From your pic, it looks to me like that light has the "old" lettering pattern. In other words, as far as I can tell, it's one of the original, old stock minimags.

As others have said, it's just an older light.

I have a couple of Mini Maglites with "™" instead of "®". My 2 oldest Solitaires and my oldest D Maglite also have "™".

We could probably find the date when the trademark registration was granted...

Yep! :) "Mini Maglite"/"Mini-Maglite" was first used in 1984, filed for trademark registrations (in two formats) in 1985 and 1988, and they were granted (registration completed) in 1986 and 1991.

From USPTO Trademark Electronic Search System:
Word Mark: MINI MAGLITE
Goods and Services: IC 011. US 021. G & S: FLASHLIGHTS. FIRST USE: 19840100. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19840100
Mark Drawing Code: (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number: 73555456
Filing Date: August 26, 1985
Current Filing Basis: 1A
Original Filing Basis: 1A
Published for Opposition: January 21, 1986
Registration Number: 1389804
International Registration Number: 0826421
Registration Date: April 15, 1986
Owner: (REGISTRANT) MAG INSTRUMENT, INC. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 1635 SOUTH SACRAMENTO AVENUE ONTARIO CALIFORNIA 91761
Attorney of Record: ROBERT C. WEISS
Prior Registrations: 1154816
Disclaimer: NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "MINI" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Type of Mark: TRADEMARK
Register: PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text: SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR). SECTION 8(10-YR) 20060715.
Renewal: 1ST RENEWAL 20060715
Live/Dead Indicator: LIVE

Word Mark: MINI-MAGLITE
Goods and Services: IC 011. US 021. G & S: FLASHLIGHTS. FIRST USE: 19840100. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19840100
Mark Drawing Code: (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code: 13.01.11 - Flashlights
Serial Number: 73741897
Filing Date: July 25, 1988
Current Filing Basis: 1A
Original Filing Basis: 1A
Published for Opposition: August 22, 1989
Registration Number: 1667539
Registration Date: December 10, 1991
Owner: (REGISTRANT) MAG INSTRUMENT, INC. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 1635 S. SACRAMENTO AVENUE ONTARIO CALIFORNIA 91761
Attorney of Record: ROBERT C. WEISS
Description of Mark: THE MARK CONSISTS OF A CIRCUMFERENTIAL INSCRIPTION EXTENDING SUBSTANTIALLY AROUND THE HEAD OF A FLASHLIGHT AND BEARING THE WORDS "MINI-MAGLITE". THE DOTTED LINES ARE NOT PART OF THE MARK AND SERVE ONLY TO SHOW THE POSITION OF THE MARK ON THE GOODS.
Type of Mark: TRADEMARK
Register: PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text: SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR). SECTION 8(10-YR) 20020205.
Renewal: 1ST RENEWAL 20020205
Live/Dead Indicator: LIVE

Posts of interest in www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22997 (from 2003):

If it is gold on brass, then it is probably a made by Maglight. I have e-mail from Mag stating that they had stopped production of the gold/brass minimag in the mid '80's. Hang on to it as it is a rare bestie!

sflate said:
Can you tell the difference between the 18 Kt gold plated mini-mag and the regular gold mini-mag by looking at them?

Yes you can. As I recall the regular gold Minimag is more of an "Anodized" finish while the 18ct is polished to a mirror like shine. If you can pick it up all doubt is removed, it weighs over a half pound.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aluminous, Gag/Gaglite is my "pet" name for Maglite. Actually, someone else on CPF coined the phrase, but I thought it was apropos, and "adopted" the name.

A brief background. A number of years ago, it was noted on CPF that Maglite seems to have/had a penchant for filing lawsuits against competitors. I think it was brought to "light" (sorry for the pun) because one of the targets of their lawsuits was Arc flashlights, a then-new company with a lot of enthusiastic CPF input and "participation."

I detest lawyers and "frivolous" lawsuits, and learning that Maglite supposedly filed more than 200 cases and spent in excess of $70 million over the years to sue other people/companies just did not sit well with me. The clincher for me however, was that the owner of Maglite seemed to be so proud of these lawsuits.

That being said, everyone needs to make their own choices, so don't let my opinions and idiosyncrasies detract from your appreciation and/or use of the product. For the world "at large," Gag probably is the "gold" (sorry for another pun re: OP pic) standard.

Sorry to have taken this so far off topic...