BitZ Questions

tsl

Enlightened
Rather than ask these in the BitZ review thread (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195410), I thought I'd start a new thread and ask them here ...

(1) How far will the beam throw?
(2) How quickly can one go from a lower mode to high? I'm used to an A2 where it's just a press or twist of the tailcap, and it looks like you may have to cycle twice to get from low to medium and then into high. Just wondering how fast it can be done.
(3) Any indoor and outdoor beamshots?

Also, the initial reaction was to place the low-low in the "basic" menu instead of in the "hidden" menu. For those who've used the light for a while now, is that still what you'd like to see or is the 10 lumen low in the basic menu growing on you?

Thanks!

nbp

Flashaholic
I don't have any beamshots for you, but as far as the UI, I feel that it is very fast to change modes. Mode 1 is high, then medium, then low. To change between modes, you must cycle on/off with in two seconds. If you wait too long (~2 sec), then it flicks into memory mode and will turn back on that mode. I typically set it to remember low mode, because I prefer the low to come on first, and I can simply twist "on/off/on" (which probably takes one second) and I am in high. I like the way the UI works quite a bit, and I love the memory function. As far as the low, I do like the low-low, but regular low is actually not too bad, as the approx. 10 lumen output is roughly the same as an ArcP DS or an E01. So it's definitely a usable output.

Hope that helps a little. If you have more questions, or this didn't make sense, I'll try to help ya out. It really is a great light though. :whistle:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
What nbp said. I think the output levels are good and the regular low is very useful. I still would prefer the low-low to be able to be memorized. I could see using the low-low a lot during camping when you just want a very little light while in complete darkness. I compared the low-low to my Liteflux 2X on its lowest setting and they were the same - about as bright as an original CXM infinity (from memory). The low-low is a plus on this light and I think it will get a lot of use.

Something interesting - it appears that the output levels of the Bitz are the same as my Incendio (another very small CR123 light). I tested the current levels from the battery and they were the same as well.

tsl

Enlightened
Any thoughts on how far the beam will throw? I've read that it's not quite a thrower and not quite a flood but something in between (which makes it a good EDC).

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
a novatac throws slightly further, but not by much. the bitz has a great close to mid range beam. mostly flood. great light all around, and well worth the money.

nbp

Flashaholic
Any thoughts on how far the beam will throw? I've read that it's not quite a thrower and not quite a flood but something in between (which makes it a good EDC).

I'd say that is pretty accurate. The hotspot melts very smoothly into flood. There isn't really a defined circle of light that can easily be named "hotspot". If I had to guess, I'd say the light is usable to, I dunno, 25 yards maybe. Someone correct me if my estimate seems erroneous. It's not the light to use for finding your lost cat way off in the neighbor's yard, but it's certainly not a "wall of light". I think that it is a very good mix for EDC as normal usage will not require a blinding beam of light or a floodlight, but something in between. It's not like any other light I have, so it's hard to really compare it to another light. I need to practice my beamshots, that would really help I suppose. :shrug: :thinking:

Patriot

Flashaholic
a novatac throws slightly further, but not by much. the bitz has a great close to mid range beam. mostly flood. great light all around, and well worth the money.

+1

Mode change is as quick as quick as any light with a twisty head. It's not a proper "tactical" light like the A2 is but still very easy to operate with one hand. The memory function is great! I really like how nicely it works.